First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What best mode for high way driving at speed of 45 to 55 highway in snow is 4 wheel high good I don’t have 4 wheel automatic
Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My opinion:

So you don't want to sit in 4H on dry pavement, and if the conditions support driving up to 55mph, the pavement probably isn't bad enough to get into 4H.

Stay in 2H for as long as you can. If you start slipping around, slow down. If you are crawling and still slipping around, or you are straight up driving through snow/ice/pouring rain (at which point you aren't going anywhere near 55mph anyway) - that's when you are good to sit in 4H.

You probably won't hurt your Bronco if you touch 55mph occasionally while driving in 4H, but if your wheels bind at that speed something is going to break.

Your first measure should always be to slow down first, then if that isn't working go to 4WD.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Obviously 4 wheel drive won't help you slow down and may cause more slippage as power to the wheels is applied. With two wheel drive you can turn really sharp ;-)

NiceBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would not use 4H unless it’s pretty deep snow.

4A is best but unfortunately you don’t have it.

2H is quite good in the snow especially if you have the KO2s.

Ultimately, you gotta drive sensibly-speed and brakes according to the conditions. Any vehicle even 4x4 could end up in the rhubarb.

Ford Bronco Winter weather driving IMG_5005

I was mostly in 2H here and the Bronco drove like a champ.

Sponsored

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's funny hearing lower 48 people's opinions of when to use 4x4.

Our roads aren't salted, so what looks like pavement is actually ice. 6 months of the year I'm in 4H or 4A and run studded a snow tires. You can run 100 mph in 4H it won't hurt a thing, just don't turn sharp on dry pavement. Ran all my 4x4s like this for decades, never had to repair a differential or T-case. I've seen way to many trucks and suvs go flying off the road because they had it in 2wd and lost it on a hill or curve. You have 4x4, use it.

Ford Bronco Winter weather driving 20240106_143441
Ford Bronco Winter weather driving 20231216_160513

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Slippery Goat mode. The Ford engineers put some time and thought into tuning steering, throttle, traction control, etc to specific driving conditions. You paid them for it so might as well us it.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base

Our roads aren't salted, so what looks like pavement is actually ice. 6 months of the year I'm in 4H or 4A and run studded a snow tires. You can run 100 mph in 4H it won't hurt a thing, just don't turn sharp on dry pavement. Ran all my 4x4s like this for decades, never had to repair a differential or T-case. I've seen way to many trucks and suvs go flying off the road because they had it in 2wd and lost it on a hill or curve. You have 4x4, use it.
X2 I attribute it some of to the younger generation always having AWD. 4H without AWD isn't the Boogieman many make it out to be.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Our roads aren't salted, so what looks like pavement is actually ice.
That’s the difference between where you drive and why it’s just fine to run 4WD near full time, and out where “the rest of us” live.

What you post is entirely correct.

Sure there are some spots like yours in the lower 48 - but “most” people aren’t in them frequently.

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
X2 I attribute it some of to the younger generation always having AWD. 4H without AWD isn't the Boogieman many make it out to be.
What are the top few classes or rally cars equipped with? There is no roam for emotional attachment to a system or stagnation at the top.

Sponsored

Bronco Flyers

Raptor
First Name
Randy and Stef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor & Gen 2 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Agreed 100%.

We are in Alaska, Montana, and Wyoming, if it’s snowing or icy put it in 4A or 4H and get after it. Lots of Black Ice and it gets many drivers In 2H when 4x4 was available. High speed on snow and ice is not a problem, just stay off the brakes and give yourself a little extra space to stop.

Ohhh !!!!!! And don’t you just love it when at a red light and the driver in front of you is sitting there spinning out in 2H trying to get going in a 4x4 because they think they are saving the transfer case or front end!!!!

If you have it, use it…………..
Ford Bronco Winter weather driving IMG_2369

IMG_2345.jpeg

Last edited:

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4H is not a problem on dry pavement....unless you TURN!!!
In a straight line not a dayum thang binds up.
This Bronco is the first 4 Auto vehicle I've owned. I L-U-V 4A, but switching between 2H and 4H depending on road conditions...AND YOU SHOULD BE WATCHING ROAD CONDITIONS, is not a problem.
You should be using your eyes and brain to determine what drive mode is apropos for the road conditions.
It kinda goes back to what I've always said; everyone should have to survive driving two years on a motorcycle to get a driver's license...that'll teach ya'll to pay attention to road conditions.
/rant over\

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Montana driver here. I’ve got 4A now and use it. But prior to the Bronco my rule for winter driving has always been the polar opposite of what most people think: “4H unless you think you need 2H”

Never had a problem.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Ford Bronco Winter weather driving IMG_2345
Ford Bronco Winter weather driving IMG_2345
Fricking A... Seriously... I have been to Anchorage, I have been to Nome... funny, your snow and Ice is no different from mine. Like you illuded to that "pavement" in your photo is probably black ice. It allows differentiation (a small tiny amount of slippage).

Have you driven a locked differential or spindle on dry pavement? it spits, jumps, hops.... You hear it, you feel it, and if you are outside the vehicle you see it.

I bet you know what I am talking about. You are telling people that doing that between the front and the rear differential (inside the transfer case) is all fine! I have never had a problem!

That is what 4A is all about. It allows slippage (differential power) between the front and rear. Use it all day long on pavement year round if you want. 4H and 4L DO NOT! On dry pavement they create bind! It creates opposing forces inside the u joints/CVs, in the gears inside the transfer case, in the transmission and at the differential. That is not good for those gears and bearing surfaces. It prematurely wears them. Just because something did not break does not mean you did not cause damage! It accelerates wear! Meaning I would never ever want to purchase one of your used vehicles!

Believe it or not I actually have some expertise in this. I was a certified mechanic. then I earned 4 separate degrees. I taught classes at the university in gear design (among other classes). And you have what? An anecdotal "I have done it for years and never broken anything"... And you think the rest of us are idiots?

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

4H is not a problem on dry pavement....unless you TURN!!!
In a straight line not a dayum thang binds up.
This Bronco is the first 4 Auto vehicle I've owned. I L-U-V 4A, but switching between 2H and 4H depending on road conditions...AND YOU SHOULD BE WATCHING ROAD CONDITIONS, is not a problem.
You should be using your eyes and brain to determine what drive mode is apropos for the road conditions.
It kinda goes back to what I've always said; everyone should have to survive driving two years on a motorcycle to get a driver's license...that'll teach ya'll to pay attention to road conditions.
/rant over\
You are confusing the transfer case with the differential.
It does bind up. It is not catastrophic but it prematurely wears all the gears and bearings!
Sponsored