Sponsored

Ken Block and Ford part ways; is Ford totally out of their minds?

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I like watching his videos, but I didn't buy my RS because of Block. Ford said he consulted on the design of the RS, but I doubt he had anything to do with it other than being in some promotional videos and racing his Comp RS.

I'd rather see Travis Pastrana anyways.
As a Marylander I'll always prefer to see Pastrana (now cue the old timers "Who's Pastrana? Never heard of her hardy harr harr" okay grandpa, it's called Google give it a try)

Ford Bronco Ken Block and Ford part ways; is Ford totally out of their minds? dsc_5649-build-web-v1
Sponsored

OP
OP
Squatch

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like he's had fun for a decade but wants to go drive some other cars. He's done a huge job helping Ford remind people that they still made fast cars (would the Focus RS have done nearly so well if it weren't for Gymkhana, and would any of the ST cars have been as popular?).

But at the same time, there's only so much left to do, especially since Ford, ya know, doesn't sell cars in the US any more.
Ford's virtual exit from the U.S. car market (Frexit?) is a good point, but as they still try to emphasize the performance of their vehicles he could still help.

Hopefully, it wasn't all about money. I don't buy a vehicle over an endorsement, but does advertising not work anymore at all? There are always those who feel so independent that they have to espouse how they've never made any purchase based on any advertising dollars spent and I call bullshit.

I think they should make a Gymkhana using the Mach-E if they want to sell them to people beyond the flannel and smug crowds. I'm not sure if Ford can produce enough units to meet that demand anymore, though.

I think it's a sign of worse things to come. Loaded everything up with tech and now everything is held up because of silicon chip shortages which aren't going to get better in the long run. TSMC is having packing problems and high quality silicon is getting more scarce. The entire industry can't and shouldn't be Tesla or modeled after them.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It really seems as if Ford is heading in a different direction than in decades past and I think it spells trouble. I see Ford missing the mark if they think going after any other make's style is a smart move. They're going to hit bankruptcy and kill off the Bronco within 5 years in this direction.
Is this just rhetoric, or do you actually believe it?

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Very few Ford buyers by percentage have ever heard of him....good move on Ford's part, just throwing money out the window.
Block is a hell of a driver, but I have to agree with GC. The bang for the bucks may not be there as the average Ford buyer probably has no idea who Ken Block is.

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

This isn't the guy that helped test develop the Bronco in Johnson Valley is it?
Dude, did a walk around with the black trail rig a few months back.
Seems like the only guy to speak that knew what off roading was all about. He was real jazzed on the Bronco and the turn trail assist..not like the dopey kids doing Q&A on the white 2DR BL the other day.
Ring any bells to anyone...

Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hopefully now that they parted ways that opens up money to bring back the Fiesta ST and Focus ST. ?. (I know it won’t happen but also know Ford reads these so Ford, please don’t forget about us in America)

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If the USA would petition for a WRC race, more people would know who he was. He ran in that circuit for a bit. He is great and there is no better CAR auto racing than WRC. Graham Jarvis that rides Hard Enduro is the best Motorcyle rider in the world.
Not too sure about off road truck racing, but those guys are all badass... from Baja to SCORE to King of the Hammers and more!
Too much NASCAR and Football and Basketball, etc.

OP
OP
Squatch

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is this just rhetoric, or do you actually believe it?
I really do see signs of trouble at Ford. They could correct things, but I have been a Raiders fan all my life and know poor management and "rebuilding" years when I see them, lol.

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Farley is a car nut like us. Possibly, Ken thinks he is worth a lot more money than Ford is willing to pay. Or maybe it's just about Ken's "creative freedom?" Every relationship has a beginning and an end. Just ask your old girl friend.

Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford's virtual exit from the U.S. car market (Frexit?) is a good point, but as they still try to emphasize the performance of their vehicles he could still help.

Hopefully, it wasn't all about money. I don't buy a vehicle over an endorsement, but does advertising not work anymore at all? There are always those who feel so independent that they have to espouse how they've never made any purchase based on any advertising dollars spent and I call bullshit.

I think they should make a Gymkhana using the Mach-E if they want to sell them to people beyond the flannel and smug crowds. I'm not sure if Ford can produce enough units to meet that demand anymore, though.

I think it's a sign of worse things to come. Loaded everything up with tech and now everything is held up because of silicon chip shortages which aren't going to get better in the long run. TSMC is having packing problems and high quality silicon is getting more scarce. The entire industry can't and shouldn't be Tesla or modeled after them.
Decisions at this level are always about the money. Block was a businessman before, during, and after Gymkhana with and without Ford - one who's made a lot of money doing what he likes (ever heard of DC Shoes?)

People go on and on how advertising doesn't work on us these days and yet ... here we are on a Ford-dedicated forum discussion 10 years of Ford performance advertising in anticipation of the hottest new performance Fords ...

But back to the overarching theme of this thread - there are 3 things I can always rely on Ford to make:

1. Fast cars
2. Great trucks
3. Terrible decisions

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If the USA would petition for a WRC race, more people would know who he was. He ran in that circuit for a bit. He is great and there is no better CAR auto racing than WRC. Graham Jarvis that rides Hard Enduro is the best Motorcyle rider in the world.
Not too sure about off road truck racing, but those guys are all badass... from Baja to SCORE to King of the Hammers and more!
Too much NASCAR and Football and Basketball, etc.
It’s an odd dichotomy. We have more car enthusiasts and modified cars per capita than probably any Western nation, yet most people in the US don’t care about racing.

Guys like Jarvis, Jonny Walker and Lettenbichler are well known names over there but don’t even register here. Even the top F1 guys are pretty much unknown in the US except to those who really follow the sport. Strange.

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Farley is a car nut like us. Possibly, Ken thinks he is worth a lot more money than Ford is willing to pay. Or maybe it's just about Ken's "creative freedom?" Every relationship has a beginning and an end. Just ask your old girl friend.
This is so true! I bet Ken is super stoked to have freedom! One door closes for Ken a house full of windows and doors open!!

I also didn't realize Ken was 53. I know his daughter is getting into racing. Maybe he's taking a step back focus on her!