Sponsored

Northeast Trail Ride Connections

Club focused on facilitating trail rides within the entire North East region of the US including PA, NJ and NY. Use this group to find others to wheel in these states
Hey guys looking for some advice on where to go In Wharton State forest. I know you have gone for a ride here and some of you are familiar with it. While I'd love to get together with some of you in the future I am just looking to take a trip with the family on Sunday to get out. Im not afraid of exploring, but just looking for some advice on where to start and any good trails. I am from North Jersey so this will be my first trip down there. Not looking to do anything big, I saw from the meetups video that there is some decently deep water. Considering I will be by myself I dont want to get into any situations I cant get out of. Just looking to have a little fun with the family. I am guessing most big water crossings will have some sort of bypass.
I see you guys met up at the Atsion ranger station. Any insight would be great.
Thanks,
Jason
Show full message
JBMontclair
JBMontclair
If going it alone I think you should get onx offroad on your phone as it carplays with the bronco. cell service is non-existant in places so play with the app and see if you can download the map onto the phone. Another option is to get Maprika (app) and download the official Moterized Access Plan (MAP) map. That shows all the roads you are allowed on. Maprika doesnt carplay however but will show where u are via GPS. If you do go to the Atsion Station parking lot as a start point then exit the lot and take a right down the dirt road... keep following it (but dont take the left fork to what i think is for horse trailers). At this point you should be pointed the right direction for much of it.

As your alone do not go into water/mud holes longer than your wheel base as I assume you dont have a winch. Oh and with children I found that as much as you warn them to not stand on the ice - they will anyways. Well at least my 13yo did and then fell through the ice and was in a 2ft deep puddle which he couldn't get out of under his own power due to the mud and ice.. So if your kids are idiots like mine, a change of clothes are in order and maybe a towel.
Jornum1
Thanks, yes I do not have winch, but do have recovery gear. I don’t really like to look of most options. I like the low profile of the mod bumper. Looking into the jcroffroad option. I like that it can be easily uninstalled when not off-roading. I may go down that route at some point.
But I don’t plan to go into any big mud holes. I know they can be deceiving so I won’t be taking any chances with the kiddos. Just looking to do some exploring and introduce them to some mild off roading.
I do have onX, and see lots of trails but have to familiarize myself with it more. I have heard good things about Maprika, and will give it a try as well.
Jornum1
Strange when I try to get maprika on the App Store it says it’s not available in my reaction. Strange
usarms
Just a note to those who want to trail ride in the Jersey Pines. I have been out there since I was a kid but now there are a lot of forces out there against 4x4 activity in the Pines. Stay on the trails and try not to dig up anything. They have already closed off previously open areas and would like to close it all down for 4x4 traffic. Tread Lightly.

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views