Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford Bronco Two-week 7,500 mile camping trip 1692791545487

Start: SE Massachusetts Saturday, August 5th.
End: SE Massachusetts Sunday, August 20th.
Total Miles: 7,514.4
Average Gas Mileage: 16.3
Typical trailer gas mileage w/o winds: 16.5-18
Typical gas mileage w/o trailer: 18.5-20.5
Trailer: Rockwood A122S with WD hitch
Ford Bronco Two-week 7,500 mile camping trip 1692793632394

Primary destinations: Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Black Hills, Badlands.

Bronco Trail App locations completed
Wyoming
Jack Creek
Crystal Creek and Slate Creek
Towgotee Pass

Montanna
Mt Marston Overlook

South Dakota
Sheep Mountain Road
China Gulch Road

Other offroad locations
Wyoming

South Dakota
Baha ORV area

General Impressions
Pulled the trailer with ease with plenty of power when I wanted it. Being able to "offroad" allowed us to see many non-standard places in those areas and get away from crowds.

Trail Impressions
Wyoming
Jack Creek: Could be driven with a car. Easy gravel roads, with no locations needing planning for approach. Nice long views of valleys and mountains.
Ford Bronco Two-week 7,500 mile camping trip 1692791685698

Crystal Creek and Slate Creek: If you are really careful you can do most of this with somethign like a Crosstrek. Good to have something like the Bronco to make it easy. Limited mud, mostly some rock choices and ruts to deal with. Gorgeous location with amazing views and next level overlanding campsites. Don't be tempted by the river bypass, use the bridge. (or get lucky like me and recover from almost getting stuck with the front end 3/4 under water).
Ford Bronco Two-week 7,500 mile camping trip 1692791857295

Towgotee Pass: Mixed bag from very easy to get ready to call for help. Trails are OK in areas, not sure they are worth the drive though. Initial side trail is more challenging with ruts and very sticky mud. Glad I had recovery boards as my ATs became slicks. The optional north return road is a really bad idea. Challenging at first and fun, it becomes a nightmare if you try one of the mud areas in the last 1/3rd (west end). I backed out as the ide of a blind water area containing 2' wide 2.5' deep slippery mud ruts next to a drop slope was next level crazy solo without a winch. Never a good sign when you see wood floating in the water from previous failed attempts. The one saving grace is it does bring you to 30250.
Ford Bronco Two-week 7,500 mile camping trip 1692792528832

30972: Pretty easy, most could be done carefully with a Crosstrek. Some rock choices but nothing overly difficult in the Bronco. Fun little trails along powerlines to amazing view of valley.
Ford Bronco Two-week 7,500 mile camping trip 1692792097190

30250: Similar to others, could be done with a Crosstrek with only a handfull of spots you might need to be careful with. Easy with Bronco. Amazing trails with incredible overlanding sites. Gorgeous lake with trout and amazing views. Ending point was nearly 9,200' elevation.
Ford Bronco Two-week 7,500 mile camping trip 1692792797457

Montanna
Mt Marston Overlook: Easy with minimal challenges. Could be done in a car. Views up top are really good and the switch backs and rises can make for a fun time with a little speed added in.
Ford Bronco Two-week 7,500 mile camping trip 1692792950167

South Dakota
Sheep Mountain Road: Easy with nice views up until the offroad only warning signs. After that it has many spots that could be mildly challenging, though most have bypasses. If you are not careful you could maybe get stuck in a spot or two. The payoff is this portion has incredible views and is well worth the effort.
Ford Bronco Two-week 7,500 mile camping trip 1692793465953

Ford Bronco Two-week 7,500 mile camping trip 1692793537256

China Gulch Road: Easy trail that could be done with most vehicles. Nice way to see the area and play in the water in places.
Ford Bronco Two-week 7,500 mile camping trip 1692793094369

Baha ORV area:
Could be done with any vehicle, but offers many optional challenges that might roll you if you are not careful. Great place to try out off road speed. Highly recommend if you just want to f-around and blast some hills.
Ford Bronco Two-week 7,500 mile camping trip 1692793264473

Ford Bronco Two-week 7,500 mile camping trip 1692793306782
Sponsored

Scopebit

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have been looking for a more compatible camper/mobile home for our bronco with the wife. The current one is too close to the max towing weight. The Rockwood A122S looks like a good possibility. Wife has more requirements than I so...Looks like an epic trip, thanks for sharing your experience.

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have been looking for a more compatible camper/mobile home for our bronco with the wife. The current one is too close to the max towing weight. The Rockwood A122S looks like a good possibility. Wife has more requirements than I so...Looks like an epic trip, thanks for sharing your experience.
I went with the Riverside Retro 135

Scopebit

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like quite the trek & a great time. Thanks for sharing 🤠

beardymcstash

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 Bronco 4dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

non-sas black diamond, correct? i have one on the way (very excited!).

this and the alpine loop are about where i want to be when i get the chance to actually take it off-road. have you done anything else to yours?

OP
OP
Quest

Quest

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
non-sas black diamond, correct? i have one on the way (very excited!).

this and the alpine loop are about where i want to be when i get the chance to actually take it off-road. have you done anything else to yours?
Correct, non-sas.

Post delivery
Full body wrap of painted surfaces
Rear loft added
Duel compressor in the engine bay
Trailer brake system
Raptor trailer hitch receiver (I plan on bumping the exhaust to be in front of the rear axle and adding in the straps from the hitch to the body as the raptors have.
Lots of other less substantive changes (blacking out safety labels, stubby antenna, storage additions etc.)

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Amazing photos! Glad you got to do an awesome trip in your rig.

Bruinsfan

Badlands
First Name
Fury
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wicked awesome, thanks for sharing your journey!

Danny's Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes! Waiting for that 2 door to ship!
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Man really great trip! I dig it.

How are you liking that camper? It is one of the models I have been considering. My wife is all about a big road trip from Montana through the mountains, Moab, Grand Canyon Visiting friends in Sedona then driving home. She's never been out west
Sponsored