Sponsored

MIC Hardtop - Coated? Question Taping Surface..

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Get a Saws All and make the door opening wider. It will cost way less to return the opening to the correct door size then repairing or replacing the top. Kidding aside, take the door off the hinges.
You kid but I contemplated doing just that.

Tomorrow is the big day. Wish me
Luck. I’ll report back if we made it.
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Tomorrow is the big day, trying to move the hardtop out of the room and into the garage. For safety reasons, I would like to tape some cardboard over the side windows and duct tape to the frame during the move to prevent accidental glass breakage. masking tape won’t hold/stick to the MIC top. is there any risk that pulling off the duct tape used to tape the cardboard to the frame could remove any sort of coating/damage on the MIC hardtop when I remove the cardboard? Or is there no coating on the MIC top. Just don’t want to pull the tape and then wham part of the top flakes off like paint

Haven't read all the replies but I would not stick duck tape to the MIC, I would be afraid just like you said.

But you could put a piece of cardboard in between the two side pieces and tape sides to center piece.

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Haven't read all the replies but I would not stick duck tape to the MIC, I would be afraid just like you said.

But you could put a piece of cardboard in between the two side pieces and tape sides to center piece.
Thanks. A lot depends if this cart I’m using which supposedly stores the cart vertically works. If so I won’t need to put anything over the windows. If I do have to use another moving method, I might use double sided tape on the widow itself because the glass isn’t damaged and I could use goo gone if any residue.

Hoping those 2-metal mounting plates can support the weight of the top vertically balance on the opposing sides.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks. A lot depends if this cart I’m using which supposedly stores the cart vertically works. If so I won’t need to put anything over the windows. If I do have to use another moving method, I might use double sided tape on the widow itself because the glass isn’t damaged and I could use goo gone if any residue.

Hoping those 2-metal mounting plates can support the weight of the top vertically balance on the opposing sides.

Taping to the windows I would do. But definitely not the MIC.

Ford says hand wash with soapy water. :(

Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop - Coated?  Question Taping Surface.. IMG_2157 - Copy.JPG

I would under NO circumstances use any cleaner or stiff brush on it.

I got to see the Bronc off the trailer and found a satin and told the salesman DO NOT to let the detail guy try and scrub it they are fragile see that sticker. I will accept as it is. Knowing it would crack eventually and hopefully get replaced under warranty then. Well, he didn't get the memo or just didn't listen.

Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop - Coated?  Question Taping Surface.. IMG_0254.JPG

You can see the stain still now with the added scuff marks. My off the truck photos didn't go high enough to see the stain. If it is raining/dirty/muddy you don't even notice either one. My take is that one must treat the MIC like an eggshell. :rolleyes:

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is a whole lot of fuss for picking up and moving something that isn't very heavy. Have a helper and move at a snails pace. If you're over 60, find another friend or something???

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is a whole lot of fuss for picking up and moving something that isn't very heavy. Have a helper and move at a snails pace. If you're over 60, find another friend or something???
It’s not the weight and I think you aren’t getting that it needs to go through two door ways 32x80 inches tall. So trying to figure out how and which direction to lift without hitting top of door frame or breaking the top is the fuss

Sponsored

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That seems extremely dangerous trying to lift by the glass with suction cups
Yes, that would be, but that's not what I'm suggesting.

Use suction cups to affix your glass protectant of choice to the glass. This is how my interior window screens are affixed.

No tape. No residue and you can leave them on while stored.

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes, that would be, but that's not what I'm suggesting.

Use suction cups to affix your glass protectant of choice to the glass. This is how my interior window screens are affixed.

No tape. No residue and you can leave them on while stored.
Ahh. Much more sense. My double sided tape seems okay

TPBuff

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX5, Ordered Bronco to replace a totaled MX5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs