Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was recently issued an Explorer for work. It is an XLT with only 2 options, a heated steering wheel and floor liners. The XLT is pretty well provisioned to start off with and I have to say that all in all I am pretty impressed with all that it offers.

I was eager to get to know it a bit since it has the 2.3/10 speed auto combo. Weighing in at 4,345 with a final axle ratio of 3.58, I find the 2.3 to have more than enough power to experience some spirited driving. The freaky thing is that it sounds like a four banger, but feels way more than that.

I really like the 10 speed transmission....a lot. For the first 300 miles it did seem a bit indecisive, but after that I find the shifts to be crisp (not TH350 shift kit crisp) and engaging. This transmission seems to be sports car like in that I can feel it downshifting to aid in deceleration. It mimics the feel I experience when I downshift while driving stick.

The XLT comes standard with an 8" SYNC3 infotainment screen. The standard speakers sound pretty decent. Nowhere near my old audiophile optioned 2007 Taurus X and WAY better than the upgraded Sony setup in our 2015 Expedition.

The Bronco is replacing our 2013 Jeep JKU 6sp and is our "fun" vehicle. It will be used for trips to the beach, camping as well as all that Florida has to offer for off roading. You can find some rock gardens to crawl around here, but it will mostly be muddy wet trails mixed with sugar sand, ruts and downed trees.

So, how did the Explorer influence my decision. Well, when they first announced the Bronco trim levels I was gung-ho Bandlands all the way. I insisted I needed the sway bar disconnect, the 12" screen as well as the 7 speed MT. After driving the Explorer for the last few months, I have found the 8" screen to be more than adequate and I believe the experience with SYNC4 is going to be even better. This will be especially true of the wireless CarPlay. I have also found the 10sp to give me a great driving experience and I am willing to bet that my wife will be more inclined to hop in the Bronc for a Friday commute (she can drive stick quite well, but enjoys her coffee more). Since I had no issue whatsoever with the manual quick sway bar disconnects I put on my JKU, this bumped my decision down to Black Diamond. I am still a fan of the idea of the MGV and I am willing to roll the dice on aftermarket sway bar disconnects. The only thing left was to decide 2.3 vs 2.7. I have to be honest a part of me really wants to go 2.3, but the rolling mass of the 35s or possible future 37s is keeping me in the 2.7 zone. Even if I stay 35s, the GY Territorys are going to be a lighter than most 35s. Bumping up to a true mud terrain will no doubt add more weight and I am not yet willing to gamble.

Final Build:

Bronco BLACK DIAMOND 4 Door:
• 2.7L EcoBoost Engine
• 10-Speed Automatic Transmission
• 17" Black High Gloss-Painted Aluminum, with Warm Alloy Beauty Ring, Beadlock Capable Wheels
• LT315/70R17 BSW Mud-Terrain (M/T) Tires(35")
• Carbonized Gray Metallic Paint
• Marine Grade Vinyl Seats with Dark Space Gray
• Black Diamond with Mid Package
• Sasquatch™ Package

Who knows, I still have a few months to change my mind...but I feel like I can finally stop spending an unhealthy amount of time in the B&P :p
Sponsored

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have to agree on the 8" screen. I am in a 2020 F150 rental for a few months for work and it is completely adequate. The rental has the 5.0L, One of our work trucks has the 2.7L I prefer the 2.7L by far. The rental 10spd clunks occasionally, but it also drives like someone jumped it once or twice.

I was so impressed with it today, I took a photo. I was using the GAIA GPS on my iphone. It integrates perfectly with Carplay. I have all my tracks and saved sites visible on the Sync display. Its awesome.
Ford Bronco How an Explorer changed my plan IMG_2596

chownd

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think the 8" screen is perfectly fine but the bezel looks cheesy and rushed in my opinion. Enough so that I feel like I need to get the 12 inch.

OP
OP
Catmandu

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the 8" screen is perfectly fine but the bezel looks cheesy and rushed in my opinion. Enough so that I feel like I need to get the 12 inch.
I won’t disagree with you there. It just doesn’t bother me enough to justify the cost for our weekend warrior needs.

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you are absolutely correct

sadly for my wallet, this purchase is all about wants ;)

Sponsored

Streetfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser TTUE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In the wrangler the upgraded screen is 8.4 so pretty sweet that ford made the 8 inch standard across the trims. I do still think the high package on the upper trims is a pretty good value with the bigger screen and 360 camera system but not a necessity

OP
OP
Catmandu

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In the wrangler the upgraded screen is 8.4 so pretty sweet that ford made the 8 inch standard across the trims. I do still think the high package on the upper trims is a pretty good value with the bigger screen and 360 camera system but not a necessity
I agree, I was shooting for the high package. I did consider the Lux for a hot second due to the heated steering wheel. Kind odd since I am in FL. However, we are a die hard soft/no top family and the open air can get a bit nippy.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's not the 12" screen... It's the 360 camera that makes the High Package a "must have". And of course there are other things to High.

As for the engine.. I don't think the 2.3 would give you pause, but a 4 Door, loaded up "must have" the v6.

So up to you to decide "must have" in both situations.

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am right there on the same build. Have a WT reserved but I really want MGV and I don't like the gray grille on the badlands with the black SAS fenders on the VB, or the yellow accents when I am getting VB and I am not rock crawling in this thing. Will off road, driving to ponds to fish in, maybe take it on the beach but realistically I'm never rock crawling in it. The VB BD interior design just works, but I am wondering, any second thoughts about not having the extra sound deadening? For $1400 the extra sound proofing, larger screen and 360 camera is a good value and you can not easily add the deadening later, but not sure I want to goto the Badlands. I can live with the 8" screen, no issue, I am going to add aftermarket amplifiers and speaker and retain the stock head unit. But I am sure that now and then I will need to take a work call in this thing and wondering if the sound deadening will help? I read some thread on here about it reducing 3decibels, but not sure if its worth having to jump to the BL for that. Decisions Decisions. Need to get my build in this weekend. The reality is I plan to have the top off 80% of the time for 7 months so who cares about sound deadening right?. No one can answer any of these questions for me, just pondering out loud. ;o)

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am right there on the same build. Have a WT reserved but I really want MGV and I don't like the gray grille on the badlands with the black SAS fenders on the VB, or the yellow accents when I am getting VB and I am not rock crawling in this thing. Will off road, driving to ponds to fish in, maybe take it on the beach but realistically I'm never rock crawling in it. The VB BD interior design just works, but I am wondering, any second thoughts about not having the extra sound deadening? For $1400 the extra sound proofing, larger screen and 360 camera is a good value and you can not easily add the deadening later, but not sure I want to goto the Badlands. I can live with the 8" screen, no issue, I am going to add aftermarket amplifiers and speaker and retain the stock head unit. But I am sure that now and then I will need to take a work call in this thing and wondering if the sound deadening will help? I read some thread on here about it reducing 3decibels, but not sure if its worth having to jump to the BL for that. Decisions Decisions. Need to get my build in this weekend. The reality is I plan to have the top off 80% of the time for 7 months so who cares about sound deadening right?. No one can answer any of these questions for me, just pondering out loud. ;o)
what a relief it will be to get this order in so I can stop doing builds 3 times a day. I t will be as liberating as deleting Facebook permanently.

Sponsored

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Whoever chose the base unit in the wrangler needs to go.

OP
OP
Catmandu

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On my build the bump to the BL/high combo is more like $4K. I really had no sound issue with the JKU soft top, So I’m not sure it’s worth it for us.

I am hoping I don’t end up longing for the screen, but my experience with the 8” is not letting me justify the cost.
Sponsored