Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How we got here…

I had sold my 2015 Subaru STi to a friend (who blew the motor 4 months later)and ordered a new Bronco Wildtrak. So after driving the Bronco for a while I came to realize I missed rowing through the gears. I know the Bronco can be had with a manual but it doesn’t handle like a sport sedan. You can hustle it around (at the expense of your passenger’s comfort) but it rolls through corners like a hippo on skates.

1695241822497-jpeg.jpg

1695241733585-jpeg.jpg

Before the STI the list was:
(not counting the previous 2 decades)
1999 New Beetle TDi 5 speed
2002 Subaru WRX bugeye 5 speed
2005 Subaru Legacy GT 5eat
2010 VW Golf TDi DSG

I began looking for something sporty with a manual transmission but it needed to have a usable back seat that could fit a full size adult (our daughter still lives with us).

A Mustang would have been cool. Soon the next generation won’t know the sound of a V8. Was looking at used GT350s the high revving Voodoo engine sounds glorious but it’s made of glass and buying one out of warranty would be a huge gamble. Plus I sat in the back seat and while I had legroom (barely) headroom was non-existed.

I test drove a VW GTI. The tartan plaid seats are a neat throwback. It was sporty but offered no sense of drama. It was quick enough but lacked character. The Haptic Touch buttons were a huge turnoff. I like buttons and knobs so I don’t have to take my eyes off the road to change stations or temperature. Yes I’m old, I can remember the high beam switch being located on the floor operated with y foot.

Camaro same issue as the Mustang.

BMW M cars were intriguing. Too expensive and costly to maintain once the warranty expires.

Caddy CT V Blackwings nice. Again too pricey.

Honda Civic Si. Local dealer wanted 2k over MSRP bitch please f’ that.

Mazda 3 hatchback. I actually had a deposit down for one of these. Polymetal gray with red Napa leather interior. Near luxury for about $32k.

What I got was a dealer optioned Integra Type S. I paid more then I wanted but the copper wheels are sweet.

1695245802798-jpeg.jpg

1695245872852-jpeg.jpg

1695245913287-jpeg.jpg

So far 3200 miles and I’m happy. Good highway cruiser, a little road noise in the cabin but can be drowned out by the excellent stereo. Handles great , forget it’s FWD, don’t know what witchcraft Honda did but no torque steer. The suspension will pogo on rough New England back roads when in Sport+. Makes nice noises not V8 rumble or Suby rumble but pops and crackles.

Rev match is silly, even blips the throttle on down shift in comfort. The fuel tank is tiny. Low fuel light comes on and only 10 gallons to top back off. No spare tire, I for one would gladly suffer a few pounds more weight a couple more gallons of gas. No rear A/C vents or USB.
Sponsored

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn, nice ride man. White with bronze wheels would be my spec too. I would choose this over the Type R I think.

Did you think about the Elantra N at all? I have a white one in manual. It's bonkers for the price. One of the best sounding 4 cylinders around as well. It was tough for me to even think about the Type R when I drove the EN.

Bigfx

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cool car and definitely gets great reviews but for the same price you could have got a ct4v blackwing with significantly more power and better lap times with rear wheel drive. I can’t fathom paying 60k for 300hp and front wheel drive. I had a blackwing before my bronco and beat the hell out of a new civic type r leaving a Honda dealership. I get having a car for the driving experience but you could have saved 20 grand and got Miata or even a Corolla gr. But what do I know I have a tire cover on a bronco with an alien and Sasquatch. Enjoy the ride but check out a blackwing, when you get a chance.

OP
OP
Bdisco

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Damn, nice ride man. White with bronze wheels would be my spec too. I would choose this over the Type R I think.

Did you think about the Elantra N at all? I have a white one in manual. It's bonkers for the price. One of the best sounding 4 cylinders around as well. It was tough for me to even think about the Type R when I drove the EN.
I did consider the Hyundai N but couldn’t get past the front end looks. Either you love it or hate it. I know from the driver’s seat you cant see it anyway. Hyundai has stepped up their game and thankfully kept the manual transmission alive for now.

OP
OP
Bdisco

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Cool car and definitely gets great reviews but for the same price you could have got a ct4v blackwing with significantly more power and better lap times with rear wheel drive. I can’t fathom paying 60k for 300hp and front wheel drive. I had a blackwing before my bronco and beat the hell out of a new civic type r leaving a Honda dealership. I get having a car for the driving experience but you could have saved 20 grand and got Miata or even a Corolla gr. But what do I know I have a tire cover on a bronco with an alien and Sasquatch. Enjoy the ride but check out a blackwing, when you get a chance.
Living in the Northeast we get crappy weather snow/sleet/ice. I have since mounted a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus all seasons on the stock gun metal Enkei wheels for the winter.

Sponsored

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did consider the Hyundai N but couldn’t get past the front end looks. Either you love it or hate it. I know from the driver’s seat you cant see it anyway. Hyundai has stepped up their game and thankfully kept the manual transmission alive for now.
What's funny about the front end is that it looks completely different in person. Most people posting pics of the Elantra and even car reviewers film the car up close with a wider lens which exaggerates the proportions of the front end. The same reason you don't photograph someone with a wide angle (it exaggerates their facial features).

When I saw mine in person and photographed it, I REALLY liked the front end. It separates it from every other car on the road. For example, the Type R just looks like a blob just like every other car and even looks like the normal civic. If you squint and it's dark you can probably mistake it for the Integra haha.

But I get ya the front end can be polarizing for sure. But man, I'm in love with the looks now. It's super unique.

Elantra April 2022 0023-2.jpg

Elantra April 2022 0096.jpg

Elantra April 2022 0100.jpg

OP
OP
Bdisco

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What's funny about the front end is that it looks completely different in person. Most people posting pics of the Elantra and even car reviewers film the car up close with a wider lens which exaggerates the proportions of the front end. The same reason you don't photograph someone with a wide angle (it exaggerates their facial features).

When I saw mine in person and photographed it, I REALLY liked the front end. It separates it from every other car on the road. For example, the Type R just looks like a blob just like every other car and even looks like the normal civic. If you squint and it's dark you can probably mistake it for the Integra haha.

But I get ya the front end can be polarizing for sure. But man, I'm in love with the looks now. It's super unique.

Elantra April 2022 0023-2.jpg

Elantra April 2022 0096.jpg

Elantra April 2022 0100.jpg
sardine Nice Car

I do like the baby blue ones with orange accents.

Last edited:

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I very much enjoyed reading this. Nice car!!! I and my family owns or has owned many of the cars listed and conclusion is similar. I love my 2022 Bronco 2 door Sas and it is fun to drive but it is no sports car. And it's not a manual either as it has the 2.7. I have owned recent Camaros, WRX, Mustang GT, 2 GTI's- most recently a 2023 GTI Autobahn, 6 speed manual. Also have owned multiple Civic SI's and a Mazdaspeed 3. Only had the 2023 GTI 6 months, didn't like it at all. I traded it for a 2021 Miata Club Track edition with Recaro seats, BBS wheels and Brembo brakes. And of course it's a 6 speed manual. Love it, nice combo with the 2 door Sas.

The Integra Type S is awesome- my Bother in Law just got one in black. He absolutely loves it. And my son has Hyundai Elantra N with the 8 speed auto, white. What a car that N is. It's so fast and the transmission is lightening fast in shifting. And the exhaust sound- you are right is absolutely amazing. What a bang for the buck car. They are very hard to find and rare.

Two other awesome fun cars are the Civic Type R and Corolla GR. They would have been on my list to buy but too few of them, too expensive and ADM, no way. So I opted for the Miata ND, nabbed it for only 28K and it had only 4K miles on it. The Integra Type S is so awesome but just too expensive for me. I could have traded my Sas for one but no way.

e34john

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
e10, e30, e34
Your Bronco Model
Base
If only they made manual kia stingers

OP
OP
Bdisco

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I very much enjoyed reading this. Nice car!!! I and my family owns or has owned many of the cars listed and conclusion is similar. I love my 2022 Bronco 2 door Sas and it is fun to drive but it is no sports car. And it's not a manual either as it has the 2.7. I have owned recent Camaros, WRX, Mustang GT, 2 GTI's- most recently a 2023 GTI Autobahn, 6 speed manual. Also have owned multiple Civic SI's and a Mazdaspeed 3. Only had the 2023 GTI 6 months, didn't like it at all. I traded it for a 2021 Miata Club Track edition with Recaro seats, BBS wheels and Brembo brakes. And of course it's a 6 speed manual. Love it, nice combo with the 2 door Sas.

The Integra Type S is awesome- my Bother in Law just got one in black. He absolutely loves it. And my son has Hyundai Elantra N with the 8 speed auto, white. What a car that N is. It's so fast and the transmission is lightening fast in shifting. And the exhaust sound- you are right is absolutely amazing. What a bang for the buck car. They are very hard to find and rare.

Two other awesome fun cars are the Civic Type R and Corolla GR. They would have been on my list to buy but too few of them, too expensive and ADM, no way. So I opted for the Miata ND, nabbed it for only 28K and it had only 4K miles on it. The Integra Type S is so awesome but just too expensive for me. I could have traded my Sas for one but no way.
JT best of luck, the answer is always Miata!