milojah

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2D
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm looking to drive a base 2D from Quebec City to Labrador City. The tourism board suggests bringing 2 spare wheels/tires. I have the extra wheel and tire, but I can't seem to find if there is a way to use the existing spare carrier to carry 2. These are the base 16" steelies.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just put the second spare in the back. Or, front passenger seat if your soft top is taking up too much room on the inside. Or, strap it to the roof??

OP
OP

milojah

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2D
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't expect to have any extra space inside, since I'll have passengers and bags/food/sleeping rolls/etc. The police recommend 2 spare wheels/tires and at least 1 jerry can of gasoline. If you register in advance, the mounties will give you a satellite phone to take on the drive.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Roof it is then. I don't imagine you could pull off mounting one on the hood like those old pizza cutters on the 60s models.

Sponsored
OP
OP

milojah

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2D
Your Bronco Model
Base
Roof it is then. I don't imagine you could pull off mounting one on the hood like those old pizza cutters on the 60s models.
I imagine not, my phone in the center dash accessory mount blocks 20% of the windshield...

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another option is be prepared to repair a tire. Plugs, tools to dismount to stitch a sidewall and run a tube.

Alcotune

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do you have stock tires or upgraded? 10 ply tires including your one spare and a puncture kit should get you through.
Are you making a round trip through Newfoundland or back the same route?

OP
OP

milojah

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2D
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do you have stock tires or upgraded? 10 ply tires including your one spare and a puncture kit should get you through.
Are you making a round trip through Newfoundland or back the same route?
The plan is to go one-way to Labrador and work our way back via Newfoundland/NS and cross back into USA at Campobello.

Currently, I have the 16" steelies, and next weekend I am getting a second set of steelies+tires because of people tossing the OEMs. I'm wondering about carrying it on the roof, and just getting rid of it once we get to Labrador. I'm not skilled enough to perform tire repair, and the current tourist board book doesn't have any details on the road. Perhaps it is better than it was when I started planning this trip 5 years ago.

Eons ago, I was told to never, ever, ever, ever use fix-a-flat or any of the canned solutions, perhaps that is the way to go if I don't need to worry about fixing the tire or reusing the wheel.

Also, in the manual, it says: To avoid potential Four-Wheel Drive (4WD) malfunction or (4WD) system damage, it is recommended to replace all tires used in the tire rotation rather than mixing significantly worn tires with new tires.

This is different from the AWD guidance which doesn't specify "significantly worn". Does anyone know the variance you can have between tires?

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would not try to carry 2 on the carrier. I'd put it on the roof or inside.
He says he drives a 2D… nobody got room for that.

… Except a mOaR door :ROFLMAO:

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would advise against tossing a second spare on the roof unless you have a roof rack and a way to secure it. That's just inviting damage to the hard top, especially if the route you're taking is as rough as you make it out to be.

You're really limiting your ability to help yourself out of a bad situation by not wanting to bring a plug kit with you. Anyone physically capable of swapping out a spare tire can plug a tire, it's ridiculously easy and only takes 10-15min to do. I'd rather plug the tire than swap out for the spare, takes less effort. I have four plugs in my tires currently, and some of them have probably 20K miles on them by now. If you get a nasty cut in the sidewall that a plug won't fix, try this:

https://www.gluetread.com/pages/sidewall-repair

The sidewall repair is surprisingly tough, more so than I thought it would be. Buy a decent plug-in air compressor and you're set for just about any eventuality short of two blowouts. Those are pretty rare offroad unless you're bombing through the Mojave at 120mph, so a single spare should be more than enough.

Slime works on small leaks for the most part, though the tire repair shops might be annoyed that they have to clean it all up to fix your tire (it's part of the job, they'll be annoyed regardless). The canned fix a flat stuff sucks at stopping leaks and won't air up your tire unless you're on a bicycle, so don't even bother with it. Slime is TPMS safe, so long as you get it to a shop when you're able to, it'll be fine. It's a temporary fix and treat it as such. I had slime in a tire for a month because I kinda forgot that I had a leak, but it's really not meant for that.

As for the tire wear disparity, that only comes into play when you have good traction, like on pavement, and then engage 4WD. Even a small difference will be enough to eventually cause binding, so there's really no set variation to it. You shouldn't be running 4WD anywhere that you could use 2WD or 4A instead, especially on pavement. If you actually need 4WD, use it and don't worry about tire wear, because there will be enough slip that tire size will be irrelevant. 4A is different in that it allows the transfer case to slip instead of the tires, so there's no binding issues on pavement. I don't know if you have lockers, but they're the same basic concept as 4WD, don't use them unless you can't control wheel spin, only use them when you actually need them. Even if you have a brand new tire and a bald tire, it shouldn't give you any trouble or cause any issues, provided you stick to those guidelines.

The best way to prepare for tire issues is by starting off with good tires meant for what you intend to do with them. If you start off with a reputable set of all terrains or mud terrains, a plug and patch kit, and an air compressor, you shouldn't need a second spare.
Sponsored