Sponsored

Advice for switching out hard top to soft top?

Gladdox

Outer Banks
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4D Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Got my 4d OB Bronco in January with dual tops. About to switch out the hard top for factory soft top for the first time.

For those who have done this, any pro tips?

About how long will it take if I have a helper?

I’ve read it’s good to replace the factory struts. Any recommendations on brand? Is it just a straight swap?

I’ve seen some people put the top back in 2 positions. Is this a feature with the OEM soft top or is that an aftermarket thing?

I assume it’s a good idea to keep the window storage bags in the cargo area if I want to flip the soft top down while away from home?

We have a garage but with 5 drivers in our household it’s full, so I have to park my Bronco in the driveway. How easy is it to put the soft top back up and windows back in? (My wife and son also drive it so I want to make it easy on everyone.)

We are driving from TN to NH for the Off-Roadeo in May and will have some luggage in the back. Any advice for securing belongings? Can I use the OEM tonneau cover with the soft top?

For those of you who keep the soft top down or go topless, any issue with thieves, vandals, or wildlife leaving “presents”? I don’t really keep “valuables” in my Bronco but I do have a fairly expensive first aid kit (wife is a first responder) in the cargo area.
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have the MIC and the Bestop, so my experience isn't the same as someone who has the OEM soft top, but in my case, removal of the hard top was just removing the front and mid panels, backing under the hoist I installed on my garage ceiling, unclipping the electrical and washer connectors, then undoing the bolts, securing the straps, and lifting. It probably took all of ten minutes, though I was doing it myself (and with COVID) so might be faster if you have a second person to help. I haven't reinstalled it (and I'm probably going to sell the MIC) so I can't help you there.

From what I understand, installation of the OEM soft top is very easy, and there are Ford or maybe Bronco Nation videos to detail its installation and usage. The OEM soft top can fold into a couple different positions, including "stowed", meaning it's all the way down, kinda piled over the rear tailgate. The Bestop does not open like this, it swings open to have clear air over the front and rear seats, then you can easily remove the rear windows. With the Bestop, I can have the top back and the windows out in less than 5 minutes. I can have everything back together in about the same time. I don't have a window bag, but generally just stow them in my garage.

I've gone a week or more with the windows removed. Granted, I park her inside at night, so there's less chance of vandals, but the most valuable thing I keep in the truck is my garage door opener and a USB-C cable. I live in a relatively affluent area that frequently has vandals that look for easy targets, so if the doors are off, the top is back, or whatever, I keep the garage door opener in the center console, and lock it. Most of the people I have to worry about are not going to go to the trouble of trying to pry something open.

JR

OP
OP
Gladdox

Gladdox

Outer Banks
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4D Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for your feedback! I had a buddy come over and we swapped out the tops today.

Removing the MIC hard top was super easy. Took maybe 5-10 minutes, and most of that was removing the bolts. Sadly, the hard top does not fit on my existing garage storage rack because I didn't realize you have to store the hard top with the rear window up, and the suspension chains get in the way. I'll have to find another solution.

However, installing the OEM soft top on was a challenge. It took us about 75 minutes in total. Part of this was because I am recovering from a shoulder injury, so my right arm has limited range of motion. But also, because there were some nuances to the install we did not expect.

For example, Ford's video says if you swap from hard to soft top you need to remove the hard top-specific trim pieces on the C-pillar for soft top versions. After an embarrassingly long time comparing the pieces we removed with the ones that came with the soft top, we realized they were identical: Ford had shipped my hard top Bronco with soft top trim pieces. So I now have 2 sets of those. I'll call Ford on Monday and ask about the missing hard top trim pieces.

Secondly, the video glosses over how the brackets are supposed to align behind the removable trim pieces in the cargo area. Figuring that out took a bit of trial and error.

Getting the windows on was also a chore. In Ford's video, they are sliding the windows around with ease. I assume because this was the first time, my windows required much more force to get in place, and we had to be careful not to tear or damage anything.

But the single biggest hurdle was that the soft top did not extend far enough forward to engage the latches at the headliner. We were short by about 1/4". Again, more trial and error, trying to apply force w/o breaking anything. My friend finally had the brilliant idea to pop the cargo latches. This gave us the extra movement we needed to engage the front latches. Then the cargo latches easily popped back in place.

Subsequent top swaps should be much faster now that I've done it. But there are still some things I need to figure out, like what the black gooey substance is that we discovered under the MIC front panels, above the windshield. It's sort of... oozing out from the top of the A-pillar joints. I'm also not sure how tight to make the bolts in the cargo area. I assume, because Ford's video says to use the included tool kit that "hand-tight" is sufficient?

Last edited:

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks for your feedback! I had a buddy come over and we swapped out the tops today.

Removing the MIC hard top was super easy. Took maybe 5-10 minutes, and most of that was removing the bolts. Sadly, the hard top does not fit on my existing garage storage rack because I didn't realize you have to store the hard top with the rear window up, and the suspension chains get in the way. I'll have to find another solution.

However, installing the OEM soft top on was a challenge. It took us about 75 minutes in total. Part of this was because I am recovering from a shoulder injury, so my right arm has limited range of motion. But also, because there were some nuances to the install we did not expect.

For example, Ford's video says if you swap from hard to soft top you need to remove the hard top-specific trim pieces on the C-pillar for soft top versions. After an embarrassingly long time comparing the pieces we removed with the ones that came with the soft top, we realized they were identical: Ford had shipped my hard top Bronco with soft top trim pieces. So I now have 2 sets of those. I'll call Ford on Monday and ask about the missing hard top trim pieces.

Secondly, the video glosses over how the brackets are supposed to align behind the removable trim pieces in the cargo area. Figuring that out took a bit of trial and error.

Getting the windows on was also a chore. In Ford's video, they are sliding the windows around with ease. I assume because this was the first time, my windows required much more force to get in place, and we had to be careful not to tear or damage anything.

But the single biggest hurdle was that the soft top did not extend far enough forward to engage the latches at the headliner. We were short by about 1/4". Again, more trial and error, trying to apply force w/o breaking anything. My friend finally had the brilliant idea to pop the cargo latches. This gave us the extra movement we needed to engage the front latches. Then the cargo latches easily popped back in place.

Subsequent top swaps should be much faster now that I've done it. But there are still some things I need to figure out, like what the black gooey substance is that we discovered under the MIC front panels, above the windshield. It's sort of... oozing out from the top of the A-pillar joints. I'm also not sure how tight to make the bolts in the cargo area. I assume, because Ford's video says to use the included tool kit that "hand-tight" is sufficient?
Yeah, getting through all these issues is frustrating, but glad you were able to make it work. The windows and top fabric was SUPER tight on my Bestop when I first installed it, but it's relaxed over time. It still looks very tight (which is my biggest complaint about the OEM top - it looks like a loose tent draped over the support hoops), but it's much easier to manipulate now. Also, letting things sit in the sun for awhile will make them significantly easier to stretch and manipulate.

As for the black gooey stuff, I had the same thing when I removed my hard top. It's probably some type of adhesive meant to hold the trim on, or something. I just removed it with some Goof Off and I haven't seen it again.

JR

Jro

Ok, the black glue is what is applied under the front header weather strip that goes across under the two front tops. If we have a truck that is leaking we will remove that and reinstall to make it waterproof.
One of the most important things I think you need to know about the soft top is the front corners at the C pillar have two plastic brackets that are easy to break when moving or putting the top in storage. I also would recommend covering your "roll bar" to prevent any paint scratches at the D pillar during top swaps. When installing your windows it's easier to get them to seat at the D pillar when the rear latches are loose allowing the soft top to come up a little bit. Don't forget to utilize the Velcro soft top straps to keep the top from bouncing during any outdoor play.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gladdox

Gladdox

Outer Banks
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4D Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ok, the black glue is what is applied under the front header weather strip that goes across under the two front tops. If we have a truck that is leaking we will remove that and reinstall to make it waterproof.
Good to know, thank you. Any suggestions for cleaning it off?

One of the most important things I think you need to know about the soft top is the front corners at the C pillar have two plastic brackets that are easy to break when moving or putting the top in storage. I also would recommend covering your "roll bar" to prevent any paint scratches at the D pillar during top swaps. When installing your windows it's easier to get them to seat at the D pillar when the rear latches are loose allowing the soft top to come up a little bit. Don't forget to utilize the Velcro soft top straps to keep the top from bouncing during any outdoor play.
Thanks for pointing out those plastic brackets. My soft top came on a big foam pallet from Ford. When it comes time to swap back to the MIC hard top, my plan is to put the soft top back on the pallet. Hopefully that will prevent any damage.

Also, thanks for the tip on the windows. They were a BEAR to install. It didn't occur to me to pop the rear latches, although it makes sense, since that's what we had to do to engage the headliner latches.

Jro

Good to know, thank you. Any suggestions for cleaning it off?

Thanks for pointing out those plastic brackets. My soft top came on a big foam pallet from Ford. When it comes time to swap back to the MIC hard top, my plan is to put the soft top back on the pallet. Hopefully that will prevent any damage.

Also, thanks for the tip on the windows. They were a BEAR to install. It didn't occur to me to pop the rear latches, although it makes sense, since that's what we had to do to engage the headliner latches.
If you got the dual top option from the factory... That was me and you're welcome. We spend a lot of time installing tops over here also.

Jro

When my father brought his Bronco home we used those tie down straps that come with the dual top and bought a Harbor Freight electric hoist for the garage. He uses that setup along with the straps to lift the top off whenever he wants by himself.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
Gladdox

Gladdox

Outer Banks
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4D Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you got the dual top option from the factory... That was me and you're welcome. We spend a lot of time installing tops over here also.
Yep, sure did. So thank you!

My father worked for GM for over 40 years, and my uncles and cousins worked for Chrysler and Ford. From one automotive family to another, my hat's off to you.

Reactions: Jro

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gladdox

Gladdox

Outer Banks
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4D Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I bought roll bar protectors like the link below. You don't need them but they do work at protecting the paint and allow for a large margin of error in the install.

https://www.amazon.com/IAG-I-Line-D-Pillar-Protective-Bronco/dp/B0BHJKZVGM/ref=sr_1_23?keywords=bronco+rear+roll&qid=1682355743&sr=8-23&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18630bbb-fcbb-42f8-9767-857e17e03685
I like the idea of this, but I'm not in love with the color. Is the risk of scratching just when taking off the soft top? Putting it on, I don't recall any time when the metal made contact with the roll bars.

In Ford's tutorial video for removing the soft top, they recommend covering the roll bars with towels, but I can totally see those sliding off with even the slightest contact so I'm not sure how viable that is.

Jro

I like the idea of this, but I'm not in love with the color. Is the risk of scratching just when taking off the soft top? Putting it on, I don't recall any time when the metal made contact with the roll bars.

In Ford's tutorial video for removing the soft top, they recommend covering the roll bars with towels, but I can totally see those sliding off with even the slightest contact so I'm not sure how viable that is.
Very easy to scratch the paint. Especially if you have someone help you for the first time. You could use painter's tape. Maybe you might be able to find a magnet for that spot during the swap?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you are watching tutorials, you need the protectors, lol.

OP
OP
Gladdox

Gladdox

Outer Banks
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4D Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Very easy to scratch the paint. Especially if you have someone help you for the first time. You could use painter's tape. Maybe you might be able to find a magnet for that spot during the swap?
If you are watching tutorials, you need the protectors, lol.
Fair enough. :) I guess I'll order those IAG pillar covers and maybe only use them during the swap. I'm just not in love with the idea of leaving them on full time. Or is there a risk of scratching the pillars when opening and closing the soft top, too?

At the recommendation of a friend, I did buy the IAG gas struts for the soft top. They should arrive by Thursday. I've read some people say they make scratching the pillars easier, and others say they help not scratching them, so I'm over here like 🤷‍♂️

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Gas struts are the best modification for the soft top, makes it much easier to open. You will really enjoy them. The issue with scratching with just opening and closing was resolved over a year ago and related to first generation IAG struts.
Sponsored