Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW 340, manual, AWE exhaust, MHD tune
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey - @JoeSpeed here are a couple of videos that show how to make a leather shift boot.
part1:
part2:

Not worth watching in detail, I just fast forwarded to see the process.

I expect a leather craftsman/craftsperson could do this easily, especially with a template to follow, such as https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-boot-gear-change-lever-mb3z7277a
Redline confirmed they will be making custom shift boots for the Bronco and are taking pre-orders now. Just email them. I'm trying to confirm with them if they have orange stitching to match the stitching in the seats. If anyone figures this out please post here.

skithebadlands

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW 340, manual, AWE exhaust, MHD tune
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just placed pre-order through Redline. They were extremely communicative. I ordered regular black leather with orange stitching to match the seats.

bniknar

Big Bend
First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An old EcoDriver
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I ordered a manual transmission shift boot from Ford so I can take it apart and figure out how to remove the vinyl piece from the rest of the hardware. Getting to this state is very straightforward and self-explanatory (this is a view from the underside):

Ford Bronco Aftermarket Shift boot? IMG_0743

The white tabs hold the vinyl to a square plastic frame. After removing the white tabs (can remove with finger pressure) I see that the vinyl is further attached on the sides via little plastic pins/grommets. See the following pics:

Ford Bronco Aftermarket Shift boot? IMG_0753

Here is a closeup of the top of the pin/grommet:
Ford Bronco Aftermarket Shift boot? IMG_0754

Not sure how to remove these...there are 8 of them and they need to be removed in such a way that they can be reattached (with a new boot). They don't have a philips or metric head, what's on there is a raised (not indented) hash that looks like it's for decoration. They don't poke out on the inside of the frame so I can't push them out (i.e. they don't break the surface of the inside of the frame).

I'm reluctant to dig them out with a screwdriver as I'll most likely ruin them. I guess I could force one out, and find a replacements if I ruin it. Not my preference. Any other suggestions?

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I ordered a manual transmission shift boot from Ford so I can take it apart and figure out how to remove the vinyl piece from the rest of the hardware. Getting to this state is very straightforward and self-explanatory (this is a view from the underside):

The white tabs hold the vinyl to a square plastic frame. After removing the white tabs (can remove with finger pressure) I see that the vinyl is further attached on the sides via little plastic pins/grommets. See the following pics:

Not sure how to remove these...there are 8 of them and they need to be removed in such a way that they can be reattached (with a new boot). They don't have a philips or metric head, what's on there is a raised (not indented) hash that looks like it's for decoration. They don't poke out on the inside of the frame so I can't push them out (i.e. they don't break the surface of the inside of the frame).

I'm reluctant to dig them out with a screwdriver as I'll most likely ruin them. I guess I could force one out, and find a replacements if I ruin it. Not my preference. Any other suggestions?
Is the frame hollow on the other side to pop them out from the back? If not then you're probably right and will have to dig at least one out to see how it attaches and then hope it can be reused. Seems like any screw/bolt or even a ziptie could be wrapped around since you won't see it anyway.

Following this though, I've had redline boots before, great quality!

Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I emailed redline also inquiring about bronco shift boot. Have any of you used their product before that can speak to the quality of it?

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I emailed redline also inquiring about bronco shift boot. Have any of you used their product before that can speak to the quality of it?
Gotta email them again, have them surprise me with which color they’d send me

Bigguyry2000

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I used them in my Cobalt SS back in the day. No issues to speak of.

Anyone figure out how to remove the knob? I really don't want to break mine taking it off. I have a new benchtop lathe on order and it would be fun to make a new one out of brass or something.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I used them in my Cobalt SS back in the day. No issues to speak of.

Anyone figure out how to remove the knob? I really don't want to break mine taking it off. I have a new benchtop lathe on order and it would be fun to make a new one out of brass or something.
This video shows how. Just pop off cap carefully and unscrew

Sponsored

bniknar

Big Bend
First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An old EcoDriver
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hey - has anyone removed the m/t shift boot from their Bronco? I watched the video (Short Throw Shifter) - I'm thinking that the side panel doesn't need to be removed first, that once the shifter knob and spring are removed, the boot can come out.

I'm not a mechanic (shade tree or otherwise). So I don't want to break any tabs etc. If anyone has already removed their Bronco m/t shift boot please post how you did it. Thanks!

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base

IMG_0743.png

IMG_0753.png

IMG_0754.png

Did you remove the boot? Looks to me like those 8 things are just where the vinyl is melted to the frame to hold it for the instal. Possibly reattach to those places with glue or vhb tape

bniknar

Big Bend
First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An old EcoDriver
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Did you remove the boot? Looks to me like those 8 things are just where the vinyl is melted to the frame to hold it for the instal. Possibly reattach to those places with glue or vhb tape
Those are connectors. Just unsnap the boot (once the spring from the shifter handle is removed). No glue or tape needed.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ordered my boot tonight, how difficult is it for someone who's never done it before?
Sponsored