NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey crew- I’m back from a weekend testing the Bronco in some pretty deep SW wilderness where I’ll be elk hunting this fall.

It did VERY well. It was able to handle really everything I threw at it. The 37s and RGPs were flawless. Zero rubbing or touching at admittedly lower speed, but significantly articulated trails, and awesome performance on whoops at 40+mph (still just floats on the Fox 2.5s- so so nice from factory!).

So it got me thinking… about selling my SxS… and bow hunting out of the Bronco.

I’ll need to be able to haul a lot of weight both in the cab as well as on the hitch (we’re talkin giant yeti coolers, 1-2 weeks of hunting gear, and about 200lbs of elk 😎).

So I started looking at Air Bags.

I have used this application on several other off-road vehicles with great success in the past.

I also have Sumo’s on my big rig TV,but they would kill the bronco. Way too stiff and non adjustable.

So I started looking at Firestones which I have used before.

They list them for the ‘23 Ranger.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-F28ZR.html?hhyear=2023&hhmake=Ford&hhmodel=Ranger

Any suggestions or thought?
Sponsored

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Bump. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! My elk hunt is in 2 weeks…

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm surprised more people haven't looked at airbags to improve the towing situation, let alone the heavy overlanders.

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm surprised more people haven't looked at airbags to improve the towing situation, let alone the heavy overlanders.
Ya- I know… exactly what I was thinking.

I’m hauling two weeks worth of backcountry archery equipment including two Yeti 125s, hopefully full of elk- the weight is significant. Airbags would be great…

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There are indeed a simple solution. I had them (Timben brand) on a motorhome and now on my F250. They do help with load carrying but can make ride rough. I wouldn't do them again on the vehicles I listed, airbags or overload leaves would be better I believe, but they seem to be the only thing available right now for the Bronco.

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yep- saw these and I agree the above poster- I in fact have Sumo Springs on my Overland 2500 rig. I tow a camper with it and run a RTT with full camp gear in the bed. The sumos keep everything level, but unloaded it’s rough. I also wouldn’t install on the Bronco.

I’ve used Firestone airbags on a different overland rig previously and they are the solution to this issue. You can air them down entirely (or nearly) and the ride is unaffected. Add weight, add air and Bob’s your uncle.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Air bags are great for towing and carrying a load. Off road, they will affect the articulation and suspension travel even when aired out. It really depends on how you use your rig off road. If you are doing hardcore off roading, you won't like them off road. On mild to medium trails and logging roads they would likely be fine.

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Air bags are great for towing and carrying a load. Off road, they will affect the articulation and suspension travel even when aired out. It really depends on how you use your rig off road. If you are doing hardcore off roading, you won't like them off road. On mild to medium trails and logging roads they would likely be fine.
Yup that’s me- mild to moderate/moderate+.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yup that’s me- mild to moderate/moderate+.
For what you want to do and the terrain, I would go with the bags. It wouldn't be difficult to tie the bags into an onboard air compressor that could also be used for airing up.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
For what you want to do and the terrain, I would go with the bags. It wouldn't be difficult to tie the bags into an onboard air compressor that could also be used for airing up.
Yep- that would be the plan but I can’t find them for the bronco anywhere. I don’t think they make them.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yep- that would be the plan but I can’t find them for the bronco anywhere. I don’t think they make them.
This early in the Bronco aftermarket game you are likely going to be the pioneer. Either try and adapt a Wrangler kit or buy a universal kit and fab it in. I have done two universal kits on hot rods and they really aren't that difficult. Space will be the toughest obstacle. I haven't looked at the Bronco suspension with air bags in mind.

Something like this might get you there.
https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Su...-kehfG-GYdXxJ-ybJF4JqhnsgCYNKtMoaAq8oEALw_wcB

I looked at some Wrangler kits and most of them are designed to fit inside the coil spring which won't work on the Bronco.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also hunt and on recent archery cow elk and antelope hunts in Nevada, the Bronco unfortunately stayed at home and I took my full size pickup with a shell.

I tent camp but my little two door simply doesn’t haul the gear I want to take; the big coolers for early season meat hauling being the biggest issue. I’ve got a roof rack and load gear up there but that’s a PIA and doesn’t solve the cooled storage requiremen.

I’ve been looking for a good, small mild off-road capable enclosed cargo trailer to get gear to camp, but I’ve yet to find something that’s a good fit. Manley ORV makes a military style trailer that’d work but they’re unresponsive to email and phone calls and I refuse to buy from a company that’s unresponsive in the pre-sale period since I can’t believe they’d be helpful if there were issues after delivery. Smittybilt has a DIY kit thaf comes close but it really doesn’t have space for the coolers.

Following this thread for other possibilities….

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I also hunt and on recent archery cow elk and antelope hunts in Nevada, the Bronco unfortunately stayed at home and I took my full size pickup with a shell.

I tent camp but my little two door simply doesn’t haul the gear I want to take; the big coolers for early season meat hauling being the biggest issue. I’ve got a roof rack and load gear up there but that’s a PIA and doesn’t solve the cooled storage requiremen.

I’ve been looking for a good, small mild off-road capable enclosed cargo trailer to get gear to camp, but I’ve yet to find something that’s a good fit. Manley ORV makes a military style trailer that’d work but they’re unresponsive to email and phone calls and I refuse to buy from a company that’s unresponsive in the pre-sale period since I can’t believe they’d be helpful if there were issues after delivery. Smittybilt has a DIY kit thaf comes close but it really doesn’t have space for the coolers.

Following this thread for other possibilities….
Ah Nice! Welcome to the conversation fellow hunter! I will spare us both from starting a post-ur-P&Y/B&C thread B6G... Ha!

I have the MoarDoor so it seems like I can probably put down the rear seats and slide two Yeti 125s long-way, side by side into the back. That of course leaves almost no room for all the rest

So I got something for ya... check these guys out. I have been looking at them for a while now. Very promising:

https://www.letsgoaero.com/products/spec-ops-overland-trailer?variant=44601284919599
Sponsored