Sponsored

Angel on my shoulder... Les Schwab (Fabtech 3") Lift Fail!!

OP
OP
JGayler911

JGayler911

Wildtrak
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2dr Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So 100 miles since you got it back. Got it. But what I am asking is how many miles from when you dropped off to get lift until when you picked up after. In other words did they drive the 50 and then ret-torque, then give to you.
yes, I have a GPS tracker installed, and it looks like they drove a total of 4 miles on lift day :(
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

yes, I have a GPS tracker installed, and it looks like they drove a total of 4 miles on lift day :(

Ok. I can see where this is headed. At least now you have the info, your ace in the hole, so when you talk to them and see what they have to say first. Then you can say did you drive it at all to see if it was safe before giving it back??? ;)

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have this setup and I definitely think the upper bolts were NOT tight. It is also possible to install the misalignment spacers upside-down on the top (I almost did) so it is a possibility the installer screwed up.....as per instructions lock tight and torque to spec. Those bolts are very specific special high strength. Like 200,000PSI ...highly doubtfully the bolt broke.

OP
OP
JGayler911

JGayler911

Wildtrak
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2dr Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wow... Thank you everyone!... Super helpful feedback!

Should I be worried about the brake line? or lower control arms? seems like there's a lot of things to get bent in a situation like this.

I trust Les Schwab to make it 100% right. but also worried they're going to blow sunshine, and do some jedi-hand waves

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The thread should be renamed to Les Schwab fail, this is an install failure, not a kit fail. Les Schwab canā€™t even torque a lug nut properly.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JGayler911

JGayler911

Wildtrak
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2dr Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have this setup and I definitely think the upper bolts were NOT tight. It is also possible to install the misalignment spacers upside-down on the top (I almost did) so it is a possibility the installer screwed up.....as per instructions lock tight and torque to spec. Those bolts are very specific special high strength. Like 200,000PSI ...highly doubtfully the bolt broke.
I took a picture of the UCA before this happened because I noticed the beauty cap came off.

is the black bolt the one the one that is supposed to get super torqued?
Ford Bronco Angel on my shoulder... Les Schwab (Fabtech 3") Lift Fail!! 1650776018160

Ford Bronco Angel on my shoulder... Les Schwab (Fabtech 3") Lift Fail!! 1650776329893

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Wow... Thank you everyone!... Super helpful feedback!

Should I be worried about the brake line? or lower control arms? seems like there's a lot of things to get bent in a situation like this.

I trust Les Schwab to make it 100% right. but also worried they're going to blow sunshine, and do some jedi-hand waves
I would want every component and fasteners in that pic replaced.

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So 100 miles since you got it back. Got it. But what I am asking is how many miles from when you dropped off to get lift until when you picked up after. In other words did they drive the 50 and then ret-torque, then give to you.
dont think many shops drive 50 miles on any or many vehicles that they install lifts on thats at least a hour of driving and sense shops charge by the hour what customer going pay 140 bucks to a shop for a hour of driving. shops usually well tell you to bring it back to get re- torqued .

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I took a picture of the UCA before this happened because I noticed the beauty cap came off.

is the black bolt the one the one that is supposed to get super torqued?
Ford Bronco Angel on my shoulder... Les Schwab (Fabtech 3") Lift Fail!! 1650776329893

I'm guessing that's why the cap popped off... the bolt was loose enough to push up into the cap. If you had taken a pic from underneath you might have seen a 1/8 " gap developing as the bolt was backing out little by little.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This is a big concern and I think the moderator should post a sticky to remind EVERYONE that buys ANY UCS to check and double check and continue to check the upper uniball bolts tightness. Also threadlocker is a good idea here.

A missed loose bolt here could lead to disaster , broken bronco, or worse ....

Sponsored

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From what I have seen and what I have read on this thread, I would suggest that the installer did not torque everything down to spec. I believe they owe you a completely new install, with all new parts.

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lift was installed at Les Schwab about a month ago. I've put maybe 100 miles on it. About 15 minutes before it happened I was driving freeway speeds on a sketchy two lane highway with 3 kids on board. I dropped off one of the kids, and as I was about to pull out of the driveway, this happened:

Has anyone every seen anything like this? Any advise?
Get a better installer. They should be embarrassed. Maybe sued?

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

dont think many shops drive 50 miles on any or many vehicles that they install lifts on thats at least a hour of driving and sense shops charge by the hour what customer going pay 140 bucks to a shop for a hour of driving. shops usually well tell you to bring it back to get re- torqued .

I'm sure there are many shops out there like that. Like I said earlier we always drive the vehicle after a lift install for the exact reason posted here. We have a loop it is about 15 miles. Highway drive then over some backcountry 2 lane blacktop. the whole idea is to "settle" the suspension a bit.

Most times we charge 10hrs for a lift kit. In all fairness it takes more like 15. Shit never goes as the directions say.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A torque wrench and red locktite should be used on all lift installations. Maybe there is some reason why red couldnā€™t be used on that uniball, Iā€™ve never installed one.
Sponsored