First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok, I'm not freaking out (YET) but I'm concerned about the path my rail car is headed on. The final destination for the rail car is East Brookfield, MA. Below is the path it has taken so far:

Arrive Date\TimeLocationDepart Time\Date
03/03/2022 12:01 AMMAP Wayne, MI Ramp 4G10:40 AM TTGX852841
03/03/2022 10:40 AMWayne, MI (MAP)03/03/2022 12:38 PM
03/03/2022 9:14 PMWalbridge, OH3/5/2022 1:34 PM *
03/05/2022 1:48 PMStanley #1, OH03/07/2022 5:10 AM
ETA unavailableLouisville, KY

My question is, is it odd for it to back track to Louisville, KY? Has anyone else tracked from Wayne to East Brookfield?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Brianstrange

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was able to confirm with CSX that this can and does happen

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can’t think about rail networks like the highway where you are going to take the most direct path possible. They’re more like airlines, where it may make sense to go out of the way to get a quicker ride based on connections and what not.

Few weeks ago I flew from San Francisco to Omaha with a connection in Chicago. It would make sense for me to connect in Denver, but Chicago gave me the shortest trip due to my connection options.

Same thing plays out on the railroad.

OP
OP
Brianstrange

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can’t think about rail networks like the highway where you are going to take the most direct path possible. They’re more like airlines, where it may make sense to go out of the way to get a quicker ride based on connections and what not.

Few weeks ago I flew from San Francisco to Omaha with a connection in Chicago. It would make sense for me to connect in Denver, but Chicago gave me the shortest trip due to my connection options.

Same thing plays out on the railroad.
I tracked three others for friends and they all went from Mi to Ohio onto Buffalo. I initially thought about what you're saying, but to go from KY to MA it routes back to Ohio 10 miles off it's starting point. My though was why not pick it up when it returns....

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I tracked three others for friends and they all went from Mi to Ohio onto Buffalo. I initially thought about what you're saying, but to go from KY to MA it routes back to Ohio 10 miles off it's starting point. My though was why not pick it up when it returns....
All depends on if there is a scheduled work event that can pick it up. A work event means 2-3 hour delay and congestion at the yard. Unless there is enough traffic to warrant, they would rather send a few cars out of the way rather than stop an entire train that long.

Sponsored

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Here is an interesting network map. While not the most direct route, hopefully their routing will prove efficient.

Maps/Locations - CSX.com

OP
OP
Brianstrange

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All depends on if there is a scheduled work event that can pick it up. A work event means 2-3 hour delay and congestion at the yard. Unless there is enough traffic to warrant, they would rather send a few cars out of the way rather than stop an entire train that long.
So in other words, ford has 2 rail cars from Wayne headed to MA, and 20 from KY. So send the two from Wayne to KY (if it makes sense) eliminating the need for another train to get delayed for a full load, or to just keep everything moving?

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So in other words, ford has 2 rail cars from Wayne headed to MA, and 20 from KY. So send the two from Wayne to KY (if it makes sense) eliminating the need for another train to get delayed for a full load, or to just keep everything moving?

There’s a lot of factors, but essentially yes.

It’s not just Ford traffic, but all traffic going to one destination. There needs to be about 20+ cars going to the same destination (or a stop on the way to destination) before it’s worthwhile to sort them out and get them on a train in a group together. Otherwise, they’ll point the cars in the direction of a yard where they can gather those 20 cars together.

shillelagh45

Base
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No reason it should be headed to Louisville, there's a train daily from Stanley to Buffalo . If you've already tracked some you see Stanley, Willard, Cleveland,Buffalo, Selkirk then East Brookfield.
Not an huge deal there's a Louisville to Buffalo train that runs daily.

OP
OP
Brianstrange

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No reason it should be headed to Louisville, there's a train daily from Stanley to Buffalo . If you've already tracked some you see Stanley, Willard, Cleveland,Buffalo, Selkirk then East Brookfield.
Not an huge deal there's a Louisville to Buffalo train that runs daily.
Does the train from Louisville to Buffalo run at a certain time? Do you know the typical trip duration on that trip too? Yes, I have tracked others with the stops you mentioned, that's why I was concerned about Louisville.
Sponsored