Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Raptor and 2020 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I love my 2023 Bronco Raptor, which I recently had the Whipple intercooler, tune, and blow-off valve installed by a trusted shop. However, I have been encountering some issues and could use some guidance. It's worth mentioning that the shop is highly reputable and frequently performs the same installations.

During my first weekend getaway to the high country, while traveling uphill at a speed of around 75 MPH, I suddenly noticed a check engine light along with a wrench icon. Unfortunately, I didn't have the Whipple tune box with me at that time, so I couldn't gather any error codes. I texted the shop and they suggested double-checking the fuse box to ensure all fuses were properly set. When I restarted the car, the warning lights disappeared, and I carried on my journey. However, on another hill during the journey back home, the lights reappeared. They turned off momentarily when I stopped the vehicle, but soon came back on. Upon reaching home, I discovered the error codes P0299 00 E8 and P05A1 00 6D. The same issue occurred again with the error codes P0299 00 65 and P05A1 00 6D. I returned the car to the shop, and they verified that everything was secured tightly, suspecting the blow-off valve as the culprit. Eventually, the blow-off valve was reverted to the stock version. Everything seemed fine until my recent road trip to the Bronco off rodeo in Vegas. On the way up, the issue occurred four times, and twice on the way back. To address this problem, I now carry the tune box with me to read and clear the error codes. Interestingly, the codes were consistent throughout the trip except for the last two digits, which varied as follows:

P0299 00 E5
P05A1 00 6D

P0299 00 AF
P05A1 00 2F

P0299 00 E6
P05A1 00 2F

Following conversations between the shop and the manufacturer, they suspect that the OEM Turbo might be at fault. They plan to conduct a smoke test to identify any potential leaks. If that doesn't provide any significant findings, they will revert the car to its stock configuration and have advised me to take it to the dealer. Personally, I find it hard to believe that the turbo is the issue since these problems only occur during road trips and specifically when ascending at higher speeds. Both the shop and the manufacturer have excellent reputations. I consulted a Ford mechanic who informed me that they haven't encountered any turbo failures in the Bronco Raptor, although they did mention some issues with the GEN 2 ecoboost. Naturally, I'm hopeful that the resolution will be straightforward. However, my wife has been giving me a hard time about modifying the vehicle despite the reputable sources involved. Any suggestions or assistance is greatly appreciated.

If it were indeed a problem with the turbo, wouldn't the issue occur consistently rather than solely during road trips? I haven't experienced these problems while driving in the city.
Sponsored

TheGriffin1313

Base
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In all instances you where going up hill…. High load Could be as simple as fuel starvation? System running lean?

Have the shop put the bronco on a dyno and run a couple times and see if they reproduce these codes under load.

jhruzek

Raptor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Raptor, Lexus LC500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
What octane gas do you use? Brand?

OP
OP

lawber

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I only run premium from chevron or shell

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
P05A1 is the front active grill shutters. they probably removed them to fit the intercooler, thats never going away.

P0299 is underboost. it means its not getting the expected/requested boost pressure. Could be tune, could be an air leak in the intake tract. They have touched both. I cant help further on which is the cause.

If you want to pack it in and move on, I'll trade my Badlands straightup.

Sponsored
OP
OP

lawber

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Appreciate the info and I’m sure you would. it will get fixed one way or another.

ebackwardse1

Raptor
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Broptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Not sure if this is helpful but I had a similar issue, took the Braptor in to my local dealership and they came back with "Hi Jeff, on your Bronco the engine light is on because there is a power cable running through the shudder grill not allowing them to work. "

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
P0299 underboost code most likely a leak somewhere in the intake system or related to the tune. Could you hear any air rushing or hissing sounds when climbing the grades?

OP
OP

lawber

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thank you. Didn’t hear anything but the wind nose is loud at that speed. Waiting to hear from whipple. Hoping they will swap out for new one, seems like the logical thing to do. Just not convinced it’s a turbo problem.

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What is your boost gauge showing? Does it go up in pressure then bleed off? That would be an indication of a boost leak. It's likely on of the intercooler hoses are not tight or came off. Check all connections. If under load the boost goes up to 18psi (totally random number) under load. Does it stay at that PSI under load and steady RPM or does it shoot up to 18 and then bleed off?

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

What is your boost gauge showing? Does it go up in pressure then bleed off? That would be an indication of a boost leak. It's likely on of the intercooler hoses are not tight or came off. Check all connections. If under load the boost goes up to 18psi (totally random number) under load. Does it stay at that PSI under load and steady RPM or does it shoot up to 18 and then bleed off?
can we take bets on it being a hose connection to the FMIC.

OP
OP

lawber

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The install shop says they cannot find a leak. Said it could be a pinhole that they cannot see. I find it so strange it doesn't happen all the time, only under a heavy load. If it was the turbo, as some are saying, wouldn't it happen more than not?

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The install shop says they cannot find a leak. Said it could be a pinhole that they cannot see. I find it so strange it doesn't happen all the time, only under a heavy load. If it was the turbo, as some are saying, wouldn't it happen more than not?
Under a heavy load makes sense for a leak. Higher boost pressure. Daily driving you likely rarely see more than 10psi. On a big hill likely a down shift, your boost is going to be up 15psi+.
Sponsored