Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Ford Bronco First Edition. ‘21 Audi RS6 Avan
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Been a fan for a while, but my fandom is diminishing.

The current sport has a number of issues. The rules have gotten so complex that they don't really let the drivers race. The current champion is an effete, elitist, unlikeable individual and his team principals are equally unlikeable - as could be seen last week in Austin when there were huge cheers for everything Verstappen did and relatively little or nothing for Hamilton. Keep in mind that at one time F1 champions were "men's men" -- risk takers, zero flash, rarely whining (with some exceptions like some of the French drivers).

F1 has gone to hybrid engines which make a wheezy, anemic sound that is nothing like the wicked and dramatic high pitched whine that long characterized F1 cars and really was emblematic of the sport (this result of a wrongheaded attempt to look "green"). Many of the races are thoroughly boring, often with the only drama coming at the first turn after the start. Unless you count the endless commentary about tires going bad as drama.

Perhaps worst of all, F1 is super woke. You'd never know from the proliferation of face masks that it's not March 2020, and every shot of a car and steering wheel reminds you that you, dear fan, are a racist in dire need of sensitivity training.

Now all that being said, this year a bit of life has been breathed into F1 with a real contest between Red Bull and Mercedes for the championship instead of a runaway by the same team year after year. And some of the middling teams have gotten more aggressive and competitive, like McLaren. There are even occasional flashes of life from Ferrari. But the long term problems with F1 don't seem likely to change any time soon.

OP
OP
iamchewby

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

there were huge cheers for everything Verstappen did and relatively little or nothing for Hamilton.
I agree with a lot of what you said, this however is very incorrect. I was between Turn 7 and 8 at the start and I could hear the cheers from all the way at Turn 1 when Hamilton overtook Verstappen. There was also a lot of cheering when Max took the lead back, but I'd say it was split 50/50 with the people at the track. Also, there was very little mask wearing with the drivers and they've allowed for a larger media presence in the paddock. Just about everything else you said was spot on... except those Honda engines in the RBs and ATs sound straight up evil in person

OP
OP
iamchewby

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How have we not talked about that... interesting finale?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
How have we not talked about that... interesting finale?
Because we were all checked out of F1 by now and just waiting to see if the new regs for '22 make the show any better?

Who would have guessed that specifically maneuvering to allow Mercedes to have a 4+ YEAR head start on the engine formula would end up with an unnecessary and uncompetitive advantage over the field? Only Bernie would have been shocked at the results, and he had puppeteered them to happen.
Sponsored