DndRough

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 SCrew
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
1970 FJ40 with half doors and large rear window has shocks with sleeves which could be used to lock the back window in place. It was great to close it on the spare and lock the shocks. Air in through the front and out the back really helped when AC wasn't an option on a hot day.

So before I start looking for something that may not have existed for 50 years, does anyone know if shocks are available that can be locked at certain lengths just by spinning a collar?
Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

1970 FJ40 with half doors and large rear window has shocks with sleeves which could be used to lock the back window in place. It was great to close it on the spare and lock the shocks. Air in through the front and out the back really helped when AC wasn't an option on a hot day.

So before I start looking for something that may not have existed for 50 years, does anyone know if shocks are available that can be locked at certain lengths just by spinning a collar?
Softtop.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Not sure if this is what you are asking for. These will holdup the lift gate.
Ford Bronco ATOYOT related bronco question 8F34BCD1-3C9E-4854-BBEA-1D777240CE40

OP
OP

DndRough

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 SCrew
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not sure if this is what you are asking for. These will holdup the lift gate.
Ford Bronco ATOYOT related bronco question 8F34BCD1-3C9E-4854-BBEA-1D777240CE40
Interesting, but I'm looking for replacement shocks that can be locked in different lengths. The fine print also said not for use while the engine is running/vehicle is in motion.

Thanks for looking.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So you are wanting to drive with the back window open, correct? You really don't need the product you are looking for. The oem shocks work fine and I have driven around plenty with the back window flipped open.

Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Interesting, but I'm looking for replacement shocks that can be locked in different lengths. The fine print also said not for use while the engine is running/vehicle is in motion.

Thanks for looking.
My son uses his on his FJ all the time while running/driving. I’m sure the lawyers made them say that but they are all too young to remember station wagons with rear windows that rolled down. We all sat back there hanging out the window with no seat belts on. Didn’t die from carbon monoxide or fall out awhile on the highway. But them were different times. :cool:

Hope you find what you are looking for.

OP
OP

DndRough

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 SCrew
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My son uses his on his FJ all the time while running/driving. I’m sure the lawyers made them say that but they are all too young to remember station wagons with rear windows that rolled down. We all sat back there hanging out the window with no seat belts on. Didn’t die from carbon monoxide or fall out awhile on the highway. But them were different times. :cool:

Hope you find what you are looking for.
We used to have so much fun before the safety police started trying to save everybody. I was in a bicycle accident on Friday. No helmet and the same bumps and bruises I would have had WITH a helmet. I learned how to fall as a kid.

I saw a link on here to a place that probably has what I had on the FJ40, I'll just have to find it again.
And I remember the big old diesel station wagon that would seat eight adults. After a day in the woods mom would pick ticks off us and toss them out the window. Little did we know that with the back window open they were getting sucked back in...good times.

OP
OP

DndRough

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 SCrew
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So you are wanting to drive with the back window open, correct? You really don't need the product you are looking for. The oem shocks work fine and I have driven around plenty with the back window flipped open.
I'll take a look, should be tomorrow. Old habits die hard and I liked the shocks with a locking collar, it gave me a sense of security knowing it wasn't going to bounce and shatter on the spare.i would probably feel good using stock in a paved campground, but 65 MPH on the beltway, I'll pass.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll take a look, should be tomorrow. Old habits die hard and I liked the shocks with a locking collar, it gave me a sense of security knowing it wasn't going to bounce and shatter on the spare.i would probably feel good using stock in a paved campground, but 65 MPH on the beltway, I'll pass.
You would have to hit one helluva bump to get the shocks to compress and hit the spare. And one would think such a bump would do more damage to a locked out rear window then one that could absorb the impact via the oem window shocks.

Anyway, I have run with rear window open on my (wife's) Bronco plenty of times and rear window open was the preferred position on my JKU if the top was on. Both off road and at 80mph highway speeds. I promise it is not that big of a deal and will be fine.

OP
OP

DndRough

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 SCrew
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You would have to hit one helluva bump to get the shocks to compress and hit the spare. And one would think such a bump would do more damage to a locked out rear window then one that could absorb the impact via the oem window shocks.

Anyway, I have run with rear window open on my (wife's) Bronco plenty of times and rear window open was the preferred position on my JKU if the top was on. Both off road and at 80mph highway speeds. I promise it is not that big of a deal and will be fine.
Thanks for the assurances.

Sponsored

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We used to have so much fun before the safety police started trying to save everybody. I was in a bicycle accident on Friday. No helmet and the same bumps and bruises I would have had WITH a helmet. I learned how to fall as a kid.
Reminds me of this…

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

OP
OP

DndRough

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 SCrew
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Reminds me of this…

[/QUOsTE]
Good, and close. Only no helmets and big brother trying to lock me in the hatch the rear facing seat tucked into.
Sponsored