First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I thought I'd ask this here since the audio guys couldn't figure out what was going on. I recently had a local audio shop replace all of the factory speakers in my car with kickers (6 speakers) and install a kicker key amp 200.4. For some reason, my 2 dash speakers start clipping when i turn the volume up to about 19. The gain is turned all the way down on the amp. Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be?
Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you have a sub installed? If not I wonder if they left bass blockers out to get some bottom end. Have some added to the dash speakers and see if that fixes it.

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Following, same issue I notice it clipping on the right side all the gains are dialed down. My volume is at 16 when it happens. Maybe I need a bigger amp.

jmbennett47

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having the same issue. Around volume 18-19 the dash speakers cut out on most songs. I have 300 hz bass blockers and Focal Speakers. Gains are just under 1/4 the way up.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The factory amp ax can show output clipping at 18 or 19 based on my LC2I and fiddling with it to get the gains set as low as possible. The other question- do you know what impedance the amp is seeing on the factory dash and kick panel speakers? I rewired mine and know itā€™s 2 ohms nominal. If itā€™s seeing something different or the Kicker amp isnā€™t 2 ohm stable, that could cause a problem? The less sensitive your speakers (I think the Focals are pretty high power handling, which often equates to less sensitive). They might want more power? Do you have a sub? I found prior to electronically eliminating the low frequencies to the full range speakers, I just couldnā€™t get decent volume when trying to get a reasonable amount of bass. The stock locations just suck for reproducing low end sound. I highly recommend an electronic crossover and sub.

Sponsored

Aurongel

Outer Banks
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yup, having this same problem with 6 Kicker speakers and the 200.4 Key Amp. Volume at 17~ish starts clipping and popping causing the dash speakers to cut out. Plus I canā€™t get the spade wires to disconnect from the cask speakers for bass blockers to see if that helps šŸ˜”

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The factory amp ax can show output clipping at 18 or 19 based on my LC2I and fiddling with it to get the gains set as low as possible. The other question- do you know what impedance the amp is seeing on the factory dash and kick panel speakers? I rewired mine and know itā€™s 2 ohms nominal. If itā€™s seeing something different or the Kicker amp isnā€™t 2 ohm stable, that could cause a problem? The less sensitive your speakers (I think the Focals are pretty high power handling, which often equates to less sensitive). They might want more power? Do you have a sub? I found prior to electronically eliminating the low frequencies to the full range speakers, I just couldnā€™t get decent volume when trying to get a reasonable amount of bass. The stock locations just suck for reproducing low end sound. I highly recommend an electronic crossover and sub.
I know very little about this, but just yesterday I had read something about the kicker 200.4 and swear it said 4 ohms min required

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like it could be the resistance is to low. I know the Infinity Reference speakers we actually just over 3ohm so in parallel they would be about 1.6 ohms, pretty low if the amp is rated at 4ohms. My Kickers are 4ohm, wired in parallel to 2ohm, but the Kenwood amp is rated to handle that load. So far I have run it for several hours straight and no issue, but lower impedance does create more heat.

broncoboyty

Black Diamond
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OP did you ever figure this out? I am having the same issue on a newly installed 200.4.

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I had to turn the gain down and also the bass from the head unit.

Sponsored

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Having the same issue. Around volume 18-19 the dash speakers cut out on most songs. I have 300 hz bass blockers and Focal Speakers. Gains are just under 1/4 the way up.
Make sure the radio detect button is pressed in. When in the ā€œonā€ position it is flush with the amp case. It needs to be pushed in to be off.
Ford Bronco Audio clipping issues 169B3BD4-0F16-4D9A-8D35-E3A9653B5155

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not sure how you guys did the wiring but I opted for the ready-built harness from Plugnplay.com. No splicing. literally plug and play into the kicker key 200.4 amp.

I do have (the green) 600hz bass blockers installed on the dash speakers ONLY.

I have made NO Forscan adjustments.

when I ran DSP the first time I turned all the "tone" settings (treb,bass, mid) to their lowest. I had clipping at higher volumes.

I then adjusted all the "tone" settings to the middle. all equal. and ran the DSP, again, on the kicker key.

I have had better sound, more adjustability and no clipping at all even at 23 volume. I then adjusted the "tone" settings to my aural liking. Works and sounds great.

NOTE: I have no sub installed yet, but for those that do - you are NOT supposed to run DSP with the SUB connected. Just FYi.

Hope this helps.

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

not to revive an old thread but wanted to update everyone. I have the Key amp installed and around volume 18 or so the audio would clip only for the front speakers. I have just recently updated the ACM with forscan for the front speakers to be set for "speaker" not "speaker/tweeter" and no more clipping even at volume 25. I believe the ACM was clipping the output to protect the factory speakers perhaps.

KnarlyKarly

Outer Banks
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange Outer Banks 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I also wanted to add support to this thread. After installing the kicker Key amp, and running through multiple calibrations, I never could get it sounding very good. Too much mids, not enough highs. After using FORscan to turn off the EQ and change the speaker type to just speaker (not speaker/tweeter) for all 4 channels, running through calibration again, and the sound is vastly better.

Itā€™s also smart to wire the kick panel and dash speakers in series. Makes the Amp a lot happier.

Iā€™m using Focal ACX in all locations, with 300 hz bass blockers on the 4ā€ speakers. Also have the Stinger 12ā€ tailgate mounted sub powered by the Kicker Key 500.1. What a nice surprise that package was!
Sponsored