First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Haven't found any other forum posts describing this exact issue yet.

As of a few weeks ago, I get intermittent freezing and unfreezing (stuttering) from my Carplay connection. During the moments, the screen will freeze and the audio will repeat on loop the last few milliseconds of audio (usually producing a robotic EHHHHHHH noise, depending on what was playing) before returning to normal. It's not a totally predictable effect, but generally it's caused by specific actions in the Bronco that require the electronics to make some kind of transition - e.g. especially when shifting into reverse and the display changes to rear and overhead camera views, but it can also be triggered by the proximity detection system, or even turning the blinkers on and off.

The jarring audio stutters are annoying, but more annoying is the fact that is frequently dropping out during phone calls now. When the issue happens while speaking with someone, the audio starts to sound like only every other syllable is being picked up, and then generally the other person's voice goes out entirely. Meanwhile the call itself on my phone is undisturbed and the other person can hear me normally. If I pick up my phone and flip to speaker phone, the call is working normally, and if I flip it back to Bronco Carplay, it generally resets to normal audio without issues.

Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions? The fact that it just started suddenly a few weeks ago makes me wonder if it's tied to some specific software update and will be patched in the future, but I feel less optimistic about that possibility if no one else is experiencing similar issues.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

As of a few weeks ago, I get intermittent freezing and unfreezing (stuttering) from my Carplay connection. During the moments, the screen will freeze and the audio will repeat on loop the last few milliseconds of audio (usually producing a robotic EHHHHHHH noise, depending on what was playing) before returning to normal. It's not a totally predictable effect, but generally it's caused by specific actions in the Bronco that require the electronics to make some kind of transition - e.g. especially when shifting into reverse and the display changes to rear and overhead camera views, but it can also be triggered by the proximity detection system, or even turning the blinkers on and off.

The jarring audio stutters are annoying, but more annoying is the fact that is frequently dropping out during phone calls now. When the issue happens while speaking with someone, the audio starts to sound like only every other syllable is being picked up, and then generally the other person's voice goes out entirely. Meanwhile the call itself on my phone is undisturbed and the other person can hear me normally. If I pick up my phone and flip to speaker phone, the call is working normally, and if I flip it back to Bronco Carplay, it generally resets to normal audio without issues.

Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions? The fact that it just started suddenly a few weeks ago makes me wonder if it's tied to some specific software update and will be patched in the future, but I feel less optimistic about that possibility if no one else is experiencing similar issues.
Hi there! If you send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, I can look into your audio concerns on my end.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Few things come to mind. I think there are areas where Bluetooth experiences interference. Apple also is known to work horribly when an update is pending for the OS. Connecting to ISP hotspots can cause issues. Turn off WiFi on phone. Modern conveniences are nice but don’t always work perfectly. I’ve experienced audio issues when my phone is wireless, playing music and my wife is plugged in charging and goes onto something with audio. I now have her plugged into rear of console.

OutlawOBX

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve had the same thing start happening. It’s been about a month and half or so. I disconnected my phone a reconnected it and i had no issues for about 2 days. Then it came back.

OP
OP
ATLbronco

ATLbronco

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve had the same thing start happening. It’s been about a month and half or so. I disconnected my phone a reconnected it and i had no issues for about 2 days. Then it came back.
Got it. What model iPhone do you have out of curiosity? I have a 15 pro.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ATLbronco

ATLbronco

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the 14 Pro.
Okay. Well hopefully the fact that both of us are experiencing the same means it's more likely a fixable software issue.

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There’s also a recall for some module that can affect CarPlay. I went to have it performed, but they only have the parts for those with the 12” infotainment screens.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use Android Auto and have this happen to me as well. Seemed to start around the time I had an update a few months back. Mine typically does it when the back up camera is activated (360 camera views it will happen as well). Also it does randomly do a hard freeze (causing the screen to stay black) then it will do a reboot on it's own. Feel like there is a corrupt line of code or something in there that needs to be fixed.

HP11

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 (sold) , 2023 Ford Bronco WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I recently had CarPlay issues whereby CarPlay would occasionally connect and when it did it would randomly disconnect... drove me crazy. This all began after I had installed front and rear Garmin dash cams. Someone recommended I perform a simple "soft reset" on my iPhone (14 pro) which I did and I've been trouble free for several weeks now. Can't hurt to give that a try.

Sponsored

OutlawOBX

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

True can’t hurt. I did just have another issue where I tried calling someone and it never appeared on screen. Somehow ended up semi connecting by locking out my radio, however I could still control the radio volume.

OutlawOBX

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey ATLbronco, have you heard anything from Ford on what the issue could be?

Ibuprofen3293

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22MY Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had this issue from the OTA update I got in early October until just recently (using wireless CarPlay with iPhone 14 Pro). I didn’t see another OTA come through but they must have pushed some updated software, because it hasn’t been happening the last couple of weeks.

OutlawOBX

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had this issue from the OTA update I got in early October until just recently (using wireless CarPlay with iPhone 14 Pro). I didn’t see another OTA come through but they must have pushed some updated software, because it hasn’t been happening the last couple of weeks.
Thanks, I’ll have to check for an OTA update and see if that fixes it. It’s definitely hit or miss, except for reverse. Every time I go into reverse while on a phone call the connection becomes all robotic. And the cameras lag for a second.

OP
OP
ATLbronco

ATLbronco

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey ATLbronco, have you heard anything from Ford on what the issue could be?
Hey, unfortunately not. If you DM Ford, they just ask for a bunch of information about you to update their CRM system and then ultimately tell you to reach out to a dealership as the next step.

Hopefully we’ll get an OTA update like ibuprofen that fixes it.
Sponsored