Sponsored

Carplay / Android auto issues - a survey

Do you have issues with your car identifying and using your phone?

• Total voters

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've now technically had my bronco for 7 months. In reality it's been closer to 4 due to time spent in the shop for windshield wiper issues that still are not fixed.

I have had carplay on my phone break no less than 2 dozen times. Refuses to connect, all the changes in settings, delete and add again, different cords, etc and try as hard as you like sometimes it simply won't connect. Sometimes it's just one ride. This last time it was two full days.

This last time was a major issue. I was driving with people in the car that deserved my attention. My hope was that I could plug in my phone, turn on maps, and drive to our destination without holding my phone or looking like a road hazard. That was not the case. We ended up taking a different car and I was embarrassed.

My bronco is a base: 8 inch screen, lowest end model. I have heard these issues do not persist with the upgraded 12 inch screen and I've driven a brand new F150 with the larger screen for roughly 2k miles that has never once had the issue.

There has to be a fix. @Ford this is insane - 40k dollars and I can't rely on a simple plug and play service.

Please tell me your experience. If it's just me, that's even better because I know I can take it in to get fixed. I can't reproduce it for my dealer so they're less inclined to 'take a look.' If enough of us have an issue maybe a software update or something can be done.

I just know that 90% of the time the enjoyment from my vehicle comes from the stereo, a reliable map and a fun driving experience. When I can't even get the phone to connect and am forced into AM radio, this car I bought for fun becomes substantially less fun and frankly loses a lot of luster.

Let me know your experience and vote. Carplay, Android Auto, whatever. I just want to find a fix or drive them to make a fix.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Experienced this as recently as yesterday. 7MT Black Diamond. Most times when I come out of the shop it's back up and running. Never had a 2 day disaster like you've had, though I work from home so my mileage is limited to primarily weekend driving. 7200 in almost 13 months of ownership.

dpequip

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco OBX 23 Maverick AWD F350 Flatbed 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Having owned a Bronco with 8" screen and current Bronco with 12" screen I can say they do work slightly differently. The integration between the vehicle and the phone on the 12" unit is much better. Also there is a difference here between a '22 (8 Inch) and '23 (12 Inch) model year Bronco's. that could play into it too. There is another variable here and that is the phone itself. Make sure you are running the most current version of android auto in your phone. If the phone is older there can also be issues caused by older versions of the Android OS that don't support current Android Auto app features. My point in this is, there are potentially serveral causes of your issue which can be very difficult to troubleshoot (Vehicle, App, OS, Phone Hardware). I am by no means an expert but have encountered apps before that did not play well with older versions of the Android OS.

OP
OP
35tires

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have 3 iphones (in the house that use the bronco, not just myself), and had 2 before upgrading recently, so I've used 5 in total in this car. Same issues every time. I currently have a 14 and a 14pro.

I suspect this is an 8 inch screen issue and not the higher trims with the 12 inch. My bronco is a 23 built at the very end of December. I haven't tried an android, which is why part of the survey is asking if android somehow works and iphones have the issue.

I agree, hard to diagnose for sure, but if I can get a decent sample size here I might be able to make change or get more insight.

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thankfully, no issues. I never plug my phone in though, just throw it into the front section / hole of the console. Always connects.

Bring it back to your dealer. Video your issues on your phone first if you can. It always seems that dealers can never replicate problems, LOL.

Oh, it’s a 22 OBX, High trim, 12” screen.

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Updates to my 21 12” have fixed the issues I had before. I’m just here to say too bad you missed the threads around here on the wipers, and wasted 4 months on an unfixable wiper issue. They are a shit design that Ford calls a “feature”.

OP
OP
35tires

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Updates to my 21 12” have fixed the issues I had before. I’m just here to say too bad you missed the threads around here on the wipers, and wasted 4 months on an unfixable wiper issue. They are a shit design that Ford calls a “feature”.

I've left the wipers up a few days trying that 'stretch the spring' thing and it seems a little better, but we had a really heavy rain last weekend in the Fort Worth area and I was on the roads. It was 40% better but I still had to play windshield wiper DJ to keep them going enough to keep the windows clear. It was super dark out as well, which made it even worse.

I am going to try the wipers up thing again as I have a few days that it can sit parked. Was there another fix I missed?

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I've left the wipers up a few days trying that 'stretch the spring' thing and it seems a little better, but we had a really heavy rain last weekend in the Fort Worth area and I was on the roads. It was 40% better but I still had to play windshield wiper DJ to keep them going enough to keep the windows clear. It was super dark out as well, which made it even worse.

I am going to try the wipers up thing again as I have a few days that it can sit parked. Was there another fix I missed?
Nope. I thought that trick helped a bit at most. I’ve left them up for weeks. But the wipers are still a huge issue, if rain is in the forecast I just drive my truck.

OP
OP
35tires

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nope. I thought that trick helped a bit at most. I’ve left them up for weeks. But the wipers are still a huge issue, if rain is in the forecast I just drive my truck.
I'm definitely spoiled that I have a new 4runner too, but I still prefer the bronco over it and wish I didn't have to bother with something as simple as wipers and carplay.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm definitely spoiled that I have a new 4runner too, but I still prefer the bronco over it and wish I didn't have to bother with something as simple as wipers and carplay.
Ya the Bronco could never be my only or primary vehicle. It’s a problem’d toy.

Sponsored

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Mine has had a few issues on and off. Nothing serious or truly annoying. Until about 5 days ago…

Won’t connect wirelessly. If I plug it in I can get audio from my phone. Not sure if CarPlay actually works, but at least I can hear my podcasts.

Since this problem has been more than a day I plan on just resetting, deleting my phone from the infotainment system, and starting over. Hope it works!

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’ve had CarPlay issues with the phone not connecting via wireless or cord. It was very frustrating. I had an old iPhone that I was using I have since got a new phone and all the issues I’ve had don’t happen anymore. So my issue was my phone.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Mine connects fine with AA but when making a call it never works on the first try.
The call goes through but you can't hear the person you called when they answer. You also don't hear it ring as your call goes through.
So I try the call, if I don't hear the ringing in couple of seconds, I hang up and try again.

spuddy59

Base
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I keep a spare rooted Android prepaid phone in my 23 base for VLC, JB4 tune, GPS, emergency dial out, etc.

I’ve found that Android Auto seems to work better than CarPlay. I don’t even have my or my wife’s iPhone saved to the Bronco anymore. I’ve loathed CarPlay in every application I’ve tried to use it in.

The only issue is it occasionally takes about 10 seconds or so for Sync to load AA and display Google Maps and start my music.

Rick U

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you guys tried disabling any vpn’s on your phones. On iPhones you have to do it through settings.
Sponsored