Sponsored

AudioControl: New subwoofers and then some! Game changer...

sLopeFx

Black Diamond
First Name
FxA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco BD Sas, 07 BMW 335i, 02 Cooper S JCW
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So I have been acquiring all the gear and strategy needed for my 4 door BDsas audio build as well as gleaning everyone's good info here on B6G. If not already, many of us will be using AudioControl amplifiers, line converters and digital signal processors (DSP) in some fashion. Well AudioControl just dropped a huge win IMO with their new line of heavy duty and shallow mount subs. They're pretty stout, come in 4 and 2 Ohm options, can handle some elements and shouldn't break the bank.

🔊 Specs here..
https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/subwoofers/

They're also making nice component speakers with separate hi and low crossovers for tighter fitment situations like our Broncos. They should be available very soon.. For anyone planning to use their DSP software, they are also updating the GUI with some new options while making it even more user friendly. I am not sponsored or do I rep AudioControl in any way, but these PNW heads are making me rethink my build and I am sure for some of you too.

IF anyone installs any of their subs or other component speakers before I do, please let us know your thoughts. 😎

Screen Shot 2023-05-09.4.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-09.3.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-09.2.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-09.1.png
Sponsored

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
interesting. looks like the shallow would fit in a tailgate enclosure.

OP
OP
sLopeFx

sLopeFx

Black Diamond
First Name
FxA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Right. I bet it would fit.
AC makes quality gear and their speakers will likely sound really nice paired with their DSP or processors.

Have you seen the new JL stealthbox? $1200?? It would be a nice option to order the box without the sub..

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
AC makes quality gear and their speakers will likely sound really nice paired with their DSP or processors.

Have you seen the new JL stealthbox? $1200?? It would be a nice option to order the box without the sub..
Yes. i got sick of waiting and glad I did. $1200 was what I predicted and it was right. not worth it.

MOBRONCO

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Audio Control was bought out by AAMP, parent company of Stinger. Hard to say what it will be going forward.

Sponsored

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Fit yeah, but not sure how low they’d get. I’ll try to model them in winisd later, but my guess is the 10” would do a lot better in a small tailgate enclosure vs. the 12” just based on their recommended enclosure size

OP
OP
sLopeFx

sLopeFx

Black Diamond
First Name
FxA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Audio Control was bought out by AAMP, parent company of Stinger. Hard to say what it will be going forward.
Thats true and they have continued to provide new gear that they were already designing so I don't think it was an acquisition to snatch and kill or suppress. I truly hope they keep putting out quality gear.

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Fit yeah, but not sure how low they’d get. I’ll try to model them in winisd later, but my guess is the 10” would do a lot better in a small tailgate enclosure vs. the 12” just based on their recommended enclosure size
I noticed that but what's interesting is the recommended enclosure sizes very similar to the stinger tailgate.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was wrong. The 12" AudioControl models much better than the 10" in a stinger-like box.

I'm not an expert nor did I sleep in a holiday inn express last night. I have spent way too much time over the past couple week researching and learning about box design and using WinISD to get some idea of how a sub might perform in a specific space.

Unless I'm doing something wrong (totally possible), WinISD suggests the 10" shallow mount will have cone excursion way beyond the xmax at 400 watts (Y-axis is mm excursion; X-asix is Hz; red line is the xmax of the subwoofer).
Ford Bronco AudioControl: New subwoofers and then some! Game changer... 1683771614812

In a stinger style box, I have to reduce power to around 250 watts to keep excursion in check for the 10". The excursion on the 12" looks good in a 0.7 cu ft box with 400 watts.

Given that, here's an SPL graph of what WinISD is telling me about these subs in stinger like boxes. Bold line is the 12" shallow @ 400 watts; thin line is the 10" shallow @ 250 watts. (Y-axis is dB, X-axis is Hz)
Ford Bronco AudioControl: New subwoofers and then some! Game changer... 1683770322580

And just for comparison, here's an estimate of the AudioControl SPC-12S2 (blue) vs. a Kicker 48CWRT124 (red) in a stinger sized enclosure.
Ford Bronco AudioControl: New subwoofers and then some! Game changer... 1683770523569

disclosure: these are modeled estimates after I entered the speaker specs into WinISD. I'm new to WinISD in general and don't really know what I'm doing. Treat this information as some random persons opinion and not fact.

Sponsored

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
very interesting. thank you for sharing.

OP
OP
sLopeFx

sLopeFx

Black Diamond
First Name
FxA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Agreed, I wish they also made this WinISD software for Mac as I don't have a pc. Bummer. I've been planning on using a Kicker LS710 in a sealed small wedge with .77 cu ft. for my sub. I am a bit reluctant to add these types of vibrations to a tailgate type box and given that I have a soft top and plan to have it down in CA, a AC 12" has me very curious.
If you don't mind, what's you reason for a tailgate box if other than saving cargo space?

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In order:

1. Functionality
2. 12" Options
3. Cost
4. Quality

I like having the ability to use a 12" sub along with the woofer being fired inward. Also, the box is waterproof, and the cost was very reasonable (I paid 470 out the door).

I was waiting for the JL option, but ultimately glad I didn't as the cost isn't worth the end product for me. Really the main negative for me is the weight on tailgate, but I have a HB reinforcement, so no issue there. I run it in San Diego with no top and have no issues with audio bleed or performance. Great setup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sLopeFx

sLopeFx

Black Diamond
First Name
FxA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Very nice, thanks for the input. I have a tailgate table which wouldn't be a huge deal to loose and I already have the HB reinforcement so I think I need to hear a 12 on the tail to make the final call.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wish they also made this WinISD software for Mac as I don't have a pc. Bummer. I've been planning on using a Kicker LS710 in a sealed small wedge with .77 cu ft. for my sub.
fwiw, here's an estimate of the Kicker 44L7S104 in a 0.77 cu ft sealed at 600 watts. The thinner line is a model of the shallow AudioControl in stinger sized box at 400 watts. let me know if that's not the kicker you were talking about and I can probably redo the graph
Ford Bronco AudioControl: New subwoofers and then some! Game changer... 1683833728439
Sponsored