Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Crosstreck
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've been reading the biggest pain with adding an aftermarket hitch and wiring is the power line. Couldn't it just be connected to one of the Aux switch lines in the back of the truck?
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It would be possible but what about your turn signals, running lights and brakes...how would these be activated? They need more than just power to work properly.

Will2497

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wire up a 7 pin trailer plug harness, that way you can wire up other lights. I did this on all my boat trailers so I can install LED lights on the back so when in reverse those come on. Super helpful when launching the boat before sunrise

Reactions: KAQ

Big Jim

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had that same thought. I put the curt harness on and after thinking about it i want to put that black box and power wire inside as opposed to the curt directions. I will be taking the curt harness back out as it does not work right anyway. Driver turn signal makes both trailer signals work and passenger turn signal does nothing. And no you cant wire it wrong it basically plugs in.

Reactions: KAQ

Big Jim

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
And if you use aux switch the black box in not constantly powered

Sponsored

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 77 f-150, Jetta Tdi, 1ton
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had that same thought. I put the curt harness on and after thinking about it i want to put that black box and power wire inside as opposed to the curt directions. I will be taking the curt harness back out as it does not work right anyway. Driver turn signal makes both trailer signals work and passenger turn signal does nothing. And no you cant wire it wrong it basically plugs in.
That’s exactly what mine is doing. Except I installed the Tekonsha unit. Etrailer suggested I try the Curt instead(currently en route) I suspect these are not compatible with non LED tail lights.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ing-harness-out-for-bronco.25164/post-1006692

Last edited:

Big Jim

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
What i havent tried is the lights without power to black box. If the woman at e-trailer does not want my harness back in order for me to get my $76 back i will eliminate balck box and give it a shot

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Confirming what you found, I tested on my Base today: Curt wiring harness #56468 does not work. Left turn makes both trailer signals work, and right turn does nothing. Thank you very much for posting this! I was able to test first with just a partial install, saved a lot of time not doing a full installation.

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What i havent tried is the lights without power to black box. If the woman at e-trailer does not want my harness back in order for me to get my $76 back i will eliminate balck box and give it a shot
I tried with no power to black box: not surprisingly it does nothing. No power to any of the trailer wires.

Gumbeaux

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reviving this thread here. I am hopeful the Curt harness works fine wit the LED taillights per the main thread on that topic, but thinking maybe I could power them with the built-in upfitter switch power rather than running the power lead all the way to the battery. Anyone else tried this? (all I need is a 4 pin to light/power a kayak trailer...)

Sponsored

Dalton07

First Edition
First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If you are searching for the right boat trailer wiring harness to make your trailer connection secured, this WESBAR 702275 is the best choice for you. The color-coded wires have a total length of 25 feet. There’s also a 4-feet ground wire that makes my hookup easier. Plus, no jumper wire is necessary for your tail lights, making this item even more convenient. I love how it conforms to the SAE J1128 interface specifications.

Last edited:

Rookie

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Reviving this thread here. I am hopeful the Curt harness works fine wit the LED taillights per the main thread on that topic, but thinking maybe I could power them with the built-in upfitter switch power rather than running the power lead all the way to the battery. Anyone else tried this? (all I need is a 4 pin to light/power a kayak trailer...)

Rookie

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have been trying to find this answer. I am thinking of using the aux connection in the back to power the trailer wiring. It would mean you could turn the power to the wiring off and on, but I am wondering if it is the right gauge. Anybody looked into this or tried it? We would still connect the wiring to the lights, we just wouldn’t have to run the power wire to the front of the car. Seems like a great idea, but I assume there is a flaw since others haven’t posted about success with it.
Sponsored