Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Been using the UV5-R for nearly a decade. Have them programmed with NOAA Weather, MURS, FRS, GMRS, Marine VHF, and all the repeaters in my region including regional and statewide networks. I only transmit on MURS and GMRS. But use all the others to gather intel.

As long as you know whats HAM and what are GMRS / FRS / MURS no one gives a shit and you will be fine. Some people just like to be cucks...
Sponsored

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm actually trying to decide between the Baofeng and Midland handhelds. Can you choose a channel directly on the Baofeng (like you can on the Midland), or do you have to manually input frequencies?

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm actually trying to decide between the Baofeng and Midland handhelds. Can you choose a channel directly on the Baofeng (like you can on the Midland), or do you have to manually input frequencies?
What are you looking for, HAM or GRMS?
The Baofeng UV-5G is their FCC-verified GRMS radio with programming that restricts it to specific channels.
Both HAM and GRMS require licenses. GRMS basically pays a ~30 fee.
Baeofeng keypads access their 3-digit memory locations. If you want channel (memory location) 1 you have to enter 001. If you want channel 112 you enter 112.
I'm not sure how it works on Midland equipment.

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What are you looking for, HAM or GRMS?

Baeofeng keypads access their 3-digit memory locations. If you want channel (memory location) 1 you have to enter 001. If you want channel 112 you enter 112.
GMRS. I was mainly wondering if the Baofengs were as user-friendly as the Midlands. It appeared that you had to enter frequency rather than channel number on the B'fengs - unlike the Midlands. Thanks for clarification.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
GMRS. I was mainly wondering if the Baofengs were as user-friendly as the Midlands. It appeared that you had to enter frequency rather than channel number on the B'fengs - unlike the Midlands. Thanks for clarification.
If you have the UV-5R you need to enter the frequencies into the memory locations, then you can use the channels. Also that radio isn't licensed for use on GRMS.

If you get the UV-5G it is licensed for use on GRMS and comes preloaded with all the frequencies into the appropriate memory spot so you can enter the number for the channel there.
NOAA weather channels are above 100.

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As long as you know whats HAM and what are GMRS / FRS / MURS no one gives a shit and you will be fine. Some people just like to be cucks...
Stay off the ham repeater inputs and seriously nobody would care but the fuds. You'd get investigated if you regularly violated the public service and paid for business band . There are some satellite uplink frequencies from 148 mhz up to 150 Mhz that you will want to avoid as the users pay for that spectrum and will then invoke the powers that be to enfode it. It takes the FCC ages to bother with those who use illegal high power to shoot some skip on CB and intentional interference on the ham HF bands, your fleeting signal from a 5 watt Baofeng is a fart in the wind.
Should you break the law? No. Will the FCC man come busting out of the bushes to drag you away? No.
Sponsored