Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe main issue is transmit wattage. As of a 5 or so years ago FRS is supposed to be 2w max on certain channels shared with GMRS and these things are typically 5w out of the box. You can change transmit wattage on most if you care to follow the rules on FRS. GMRS ‘requires’ a license more pay to play. HAM freqs ‘require’ a license that you get by passing a written exam.
Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are not approved you get caught with the there taken and your fined
the transmit is to unstable fcc will not approve these use at your own risk there $20 radios and can cause damage and interference with emergency services !
It’s just a paperwork thing. There is nothing “unstable” about the Baofengs. They simply don’t want to pay for a compliance license. They still only tune to amateur radio bands. There is also NOBODY to “catch you”. The FCC only acts when a business files a complaint and even then they take years to do it. The only way to get noticed is to setup a damn big radio tower without a permit, with a damn big antenna on it and start blasting on top of an in-use frequency.

Ignore the paranoid folks. If you want to talk to other HAMs get a license. If you just like playing by the rules, get a license. If you’re just out wheeling with a group, nobody cares.

Dan66

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 explorer platinum 2014 ram limited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

They are not useable and very unstable and have a ton of band leakage ! They can cause serious damage to private repeater sites with the RF the generate. if you have data showing other Wise please share?
they are a serious problem and break every rule ?
that’s why FCC and IC have band them

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They are not useable and very unstable and have a ton of band leakage ! They can cause serious damage to private repeater sites with the RF the generate. if you have data showing other Wise please share?
You’re just making stuff up. It’s still only a 5 watt handheld. Even if the output is sloppy the throw of that antenna is pitiful. You’d have to be within 50 feet of a repeater to do a thing to it with a handheld. Providing “evidence” is on you. It’s literally the most popular handheld radio in the world and repeaters are not frying left and right as result.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Conversely, I would challenge you to prove this statement.

You simply need a GMRS license to use them on the GMRS channels and you can program them so they do not transmit on any channel you are not legally allowed to transmit as well as set the power level to remain within Compliance.

Sponsored

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've used these radios for years. Everybody I know has. It's common practice in the off-road community in the southwest to use them, as an extension of our experience with "race radios". Are we all licensed? No. Do I know anyone who has ever been busted, fined, confiscated or imprisoned over it? No. Do we use them courteously and stick to the channels that are already sort of established for use in the off-road and racing community? yes. Do we kindly switch to a different frequency if race operations or some other group is already using the one we've chosen? yes. Do we still get hassled by HAMs and other radio snobs whenever they hear about us using them without spewing a bunch of alphabet soup with every transmission? Yes. Do we care? No.

Dan66

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You simply need a GMRS license to use them on the GMRS channels and you can program them so they do not transmit on any channel you are not legally allowed to transmit as well as set the power level to remain within Compliance.
There are lots of choices that are approved for use these break the rules
you just think the rules do not apply to you or?
pick a radio with the FCC approval and all is good no child layout or sweat shops !

Dan66

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No problem your turn

Attachments

gpitman

Badlands
First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Ford F-350 Powerstroke, 2019 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have 4 of the UV-5R that have been programmed with the Rugged Radio channels. Rugged Radio sells the UV-5R under their own brand with channels pre-programmed.

They work great. We used them during off-roading and when we convoy from California to Texas.

BeardedBadass

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4D/Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
False. Like others have said, provide proof. Please stop spreading false facts. There is no FCC rule banning this radio. You will not get fined or get it trouble. I use my BFH8 on my local repeater in the 2m band with a roll up J-Pole that i keep the bronco when taking my kids to the park. Is it a quality radio? No, my Yaesu stomps it. Does it work? Absolutely 100%.

You can listen all day long unlicensed. If you transmit unlicensed, then you have broken the FCC regulation. If you are licensed and transmit on GMRS, FRS, or any band outside of 2m and 70cm, then you have broken the FCC regulation. An individual broke the rule, not the radio. We are all adults here.

Sponsored

Dan66

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

False. Like others have said, provide proof. Please stop spreading false facts. There is no FCC rule banning this radio. You will not get fined or get it trouble. I use my BFH8 on my local repeater in the 2m band with a roll up J-Pole that i keep the bronco when taking my kids to the park. Is it a quality radio? No, my Yaesu stomps it. Does it work? Absolutely 100%.

You can listen all day long unlicensed. If you transmit unlicensed, then you have broken the FCC regulation. If you are licensed and transmit on GMRS, FRS, or any band outside of 2m and 70cm, then you have broken the FCC regulation. An individual broke the rule, not the radio. We are all adults here.
Please read the attachment I provided.

BeardedBadass

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4D/Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Badlands