First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dealer routed my plug up under the hood on the right side of the air intake (2.3L). Never checked about routing it down below out the front. Have to open the hood every time to use it. It helps remind me to unplug before driving off in the morning.

Here in MN it's been about 5-12 degrees F in the AM. My block heater is on a timer that turns on at 6am, I leave at about 7am and the oil temp is in the 30's. When I open the hood to unplug I can feel the warmth coming from the engine. Unheated detached garage, though is well insulated. I start it and let it warm up for about a couple minutes. Takes a few miles for the 4 water temp bars to light up. Oil temp is about 50-60 at that time.

Best $100 factory add-on in my opinion.
So, I just realized that the user manual states that it requires 220v and optimal temps are reached after 3 hours.

Ford Bronco Block heater plug, terrible location IMG_5608

Ford Bronco Block heater plug, terrible location IMG_5607

Which timer are you using, because the one I got isn’t rated for 220-240v nor is the outlet I’m using. So, I guess I need a dedicated outlet and outdoor extension cord.

Ford Bronco Block heater plug, terrible location IMG_5606

That being said those oil/coolant temps you mention, I don’t think your heater is doing much. The coolant should be 100°F+ in those ambient temps. Oil + coolant hitting 50-60°F after a few miles is normal operation. I’m expecting to be able to turn the heater on and immediately be at near operating temps pulling out of the driveway.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, I just realized that the user manual states that it requires 220v and optimal temps are reached after 3 hours.

Which timer are you using, because the one I got isn’t rated for 220-240v nor is the outlet I’m using. So, I guess I need a dedicated outlet and outdoor extension cord.

That being said those oil/coolant temps you mention, I don’t think your heater is doing much. The coolant should be 100°F+ in those ambient temps. Oil + coolant hitting 50-60°F after a few miles is normal operation. I’m expecting to be able to turn the heater on and immediately be at near operating temps pulling out of the driveway.
Dang, didn't know about the 220v outlet. I'm only plugged in for an hour or so. I use a Woods 50016 digital timer for block heaters.

https://www.toolboxsupply.com/products/woods-50016-outdoor-24-hour-digital-block-heater-timer-black

Description
This outdoor timer turns block heaters or other outdoor appliances on at set times. Want your car engine warm when you go out to start your vehicle on cold mornings? It only takes 2-3 hours for a block heater to fully warm a vehicle engine. But it is common for people plug it in when they arrive home in the evening because it is convenient. And then leave it on all night long. Why waste energy, use a programmable timer to turn on the block heater on and save energy and convenience. Ideal for cars and fleets of utility trucks or school buses, and small appliances. Features easy, two-button programming, settings that repeat daily, two-grounded outlets and 6-inch power cord. The Woods brand of timers and home controls bring simplicity to your life, by maximizing convenience, security and energy savings.
  • 1 on/off settings per day, repeats daily
  • Easy, 2-button programming
  • Settings repeat daily
  • Two grounded outlets, 6 inch power cord
Applications
  • Use with block heaters for cars and fleets of utility trucks or school buses, and small appliances to provide convenience and energy savings
Ratings
  • 125V ac, 60 Hz
  • 15 Amp, 1875 Watt Resistive
  • 10 Amp, 1250 Watt Tungsten
  • 8 Amp Ballast
  • Controls up to 1/2 HP
  • CSA Certified C/US.

Yea I don't have a 220 in my garage... Will have to figure something out. Thanks for the info.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dang, didn't know about the 220v outlet. I'm only plugged in for an hour or so. I use a Woods 50016 digital timer for block heaters.

https://www.toolboxsupply.com/products/woods-50016-outdoor-24-hour-digital-block-heater-timer-black

Description
This outdoor timer turns block heaters or other outdoor appliances on at set times. Want your car engine warm when you go out to start your vehicle on cold mornings? It only takes 2-3 hours for a block heater to fully warm a vehicle engine. But it is common for people plug it in when they arrive home in the evening because it is convenient. And then leave it on all night long. Why waste energy, use a programmable timer to turn on the block heater on and save energy and convenience. Ideal for cars and fleets of utility trucks or school buses, and small appliances. Features easy, two-button programming, settings that repeat daily, two-grounded outlets and 6-inch power cord. The Woods brand of timers and home controls bring simplicity to your life, by maximizing convenience, security and energy savings.
  • 1 on/off settings per day, repeats daily
  • Easy, 2-button programming
  • Settings repeat daily
  • Two grounded outlets, 6 inch power cord
Applications
  • Use with block heaters for cars and fleets of utility trucks or school buses, and small appliances to provide convenience and energy savings
Ratings
  • 125V ac, 60 Hz
  • 15 Amp, 1875 Watt Resistive
  • 10 Amp, 1250 Watt Tungsten
  • 8 Amp Ballast
  • Controls up to 1/2 HP
  • CSA Certified C/US.

Yea I don't have a 220 in my garage... Will have to figure something out. Thanks for the info.
The plot thickens. This is the tag on the block heater harness itself.

Ford Bronco Block heater plug, terrible location IMG_5609

I started a conversation with my electrician and he pointed that out. He was surprised that the plug itself was a normal 3 prong - usually it would require a special NEMA plug if it was 220-240v.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Alright, finally plugged in the Procal to get an accurate coolant temp and after 1.5 hours using a 25 ft/12 gauge extension cord it was at 75°F with ambient temps around 28°. Coolant was at operating temps within the second mile (first mile is downhill). Oil still took 7 or so miles to get there. I’ll normally heat for 3 hours - but, I had PT early this morning.

The extension cord might be overkill, but Home Depot had them on clearance for $11 with the lighted cord ends and I wanted something dedicated for this.

Last edited:

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
did not know we had one? 22 BL/SAS 4dr
It’s a $100 factory add-on. Don’t ask what it costs after the fact. Only reason why I wanted one was because it’s a manual and my commute is short. Feel like it will help with fuel economy, stress on the components (never getting fully warmed up) and quicker heated cabin on frigid days.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Alright, now I’m cooking with 120v.

Finally got the Noco Dual Port servicing both the block heater and battery tender. So, on those cold mornings both with get juiced up for 3 hours before my <2 mile commute.

Ford Bronco Block heater plug, terrible location IMG_5136

I used 1.5” 3:1 Waterproof Heat Shrink Tubing - This should help avoid any water issues for the long haul. I had the tender hooked up for the past year or so. Seems to be holding up just fine.

Ford Bronco Block heater plug, terrible location IMG_5673

All buttoned up. Unfortunately, I ran out of black zip ties and I’m anal and will likely replace them since these will turn yellow and ugly in a few weeks.

Ford Bronco Block heater plug, terrible location IMG_5674
Sponsored