Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I picked up my Bronco in September and it now has almost 5,000 miles on it.

About 3,000 miles in while on my way home from my grandparents out of town I got a Brake systems failure error and the red brake light on the dash came on. I took it to the closes dealer about 15 miles down the road and they said it was the brake assist, but they had never worked on one and it was a Friday evening so it could be mid-next week before they had it fixed. They did a system reset and the light went off, I chose to drive it home. The light didn't come back on while driving around town the next weekend however while out of town for work and it did the same thing. I again drove the rest of the way home carefully then took it to my dealer, this happened to line up with a vacation I was taking and they had my bronco 2 weeks and "fixed" it. They replaced a gasket. I drove it home and left to go out of town back to my grandparents again and less than 3 hours after I picked it up the error/light came on again. This time I went on and finished my trip and was able to spend time driving around town and get home with no issues and it has not come back on almost 2 weeks later. Do I take it back to the dealership again? or a different dealer? or was it just some fluke that it came back on the third time?

Additonal Informaiton:
All trips when the light came on were about an hour into a 2 hour or more trip, driving at highway speeds with the cruise control set.

Yes, I am out of town all the time and hardly ever home so taking it to the dealer is a pain. I have a second car but it is at my parents in their garage, about half an hour from the dealer, and my dealer does not have a loaner available. My roommate jokes that I keep him around so my house does not look abandoned.
Sponsored

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had a similar issue with my 2.3L. After hours of interstate driving with the cruise on I would get a "service brake system" message and it traced back to something with the booster. If I continued to drive for long enough when I would go to push the brake pedal, it would push hard the first time like I didn't have any assist. After that first push it worked fine. When we got home from the trip I brought it to the local shop and let them know what issue I was seeing. I got the standard "couldn't replicate problem" response.

OP
OP
Manda13

Manda13

Outer Banks
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had a similar issue with my 2.3L. After hours of interstate driving with the cruise of I would get a "service brake system" message and it traced back to something with the booster. If I continued to drive for long enough when I would go to push the brake pedal, it would push hard the first time like I didn't have any assist. After that first push it worked fine. When we got home from the trip I brought it to the local shop and let them know what issue I was seeing. I got the standard "couldn't replicate problem" response.
That is exactly how mine behaves.

babraunagel

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I picked up my Bronco in September and it now has almost 5,000 miles on it.

About 3,000 miles in while on my way home from my grandparents out of town I got a Brake systems failure error and the red brake light on the dash came on. I took it to the closes dealer about 15 miles down the road and they said it was the brake assist, but they had never worked on one and it was a Friday evening so it could be mid-next week before they had it fixed. They did a system reset and the light went off, I chose to drive it home. The light didn't come back on while driving around town the next weekend however while out of town for work and it did the same thing. I again drove the rest of the way home carefully then took it to my dealer, this happened to line up with a vacation I was taking and they had my bronco 2 weeks and "fixed" it. They replaced a gasket. I drove it home and left to go out of town back to my grandparents again and less than 3 hours after I picked it up the error/light came on again. This time I went on and finished my trip and was able to spend time driving around town and get home with no issues and it has not come back on almost 2 weeks later. Do I take it back to the dealership again? or a different dealer? or was it just some fluke that it came back on the third time?

Additonal Informaiton:
All trips when the light came on were about an hour into a 2 hour or more trip, driving at highway speeds with the cruise control set.

Yes, I am out of town all the time and hardly ever home so taking it to the dealer is a pain. I have a second car but it is at my parents in their garage, about half an hour from the dealer, and my dealer does not have a loaner available. My roommate jokes that I keep him around so my house does not look abandoned.
So sorry to hear about your brakes - please keep us posted on how things turn out.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a similar issue with my 2.3L. After hours of interstate driving with the cruise of I would get a "service brake system" message and it traced back to something with the booster. If I continued to drive for long enough when I would go to push the brake pedal, it would push hard the first time like I didn't have any assist. After that first push it worked fine. When we got home from the trip I brought it to the local shop and let them know what issue I was seeing. I got the standard "couldn't replicate problem" response.
That is exactly how mine behaves.
Have had the same issue occur about 6 or 7 times.. After about 45minutes of highway driving I get the error message and the brake light comes on. Press the brake pedal and it is hard to push the first time, feels like it is pre-charged by the crash alert system. No other errors or problem. BL 2.3 manual and probably was using cruise control each time, error occurred before and after adding new coil overs and 37's.
Sponsored