First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT, 1969 F100 4x4, 1969 Mustang Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Trying to figure out if the bronco raptor tailgate support would work on the standard tailgate with the standard spare tire mount. Any chance someone has some experience with this? I assume the tailgate is the same and the difference might be the spare mount if anything. Looking to add 37's and prefer the look over some of the aftermarket options.
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

LAB0035

Badlands
First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Trying to figure out if the bronco raptor tailgate support would work on the standard tailgate with the standard spare tire mount. Any chance someone has some experience with this? I assume the tailgate is the same and the difference might be the spare mount if anything. Looking to add 37's and prefer the look over some of the aftermarket options.
I think you can reuse the spare tire mount but you will have to buy the Raptor tailgate hinge Assys along with the tailgate reinforcement. The hinges are expensive

Emmitt

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Spare tire carrier, tail gate reinforcement and hinges are compatible. I am getting ready do this work also. Just in the process of ordering the parts.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rogueshark18

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT, 1969 F100 4x4, 1969 Mustang Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Spare tire carrier, tail gate reinforcement and hinges are compatible. I am getting ready do this work also. Just in the process of ordering the parts.
So no need for the Raptor hinges? Just need the reinforcement panel?

Emmitt

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So no need for the Raptor hinges? Just need the reinforcement panel?
Depends on what you want. If you want full Raptor structural capability then you need the reinforcement, spare tire carrier and hinges. I believe the stock spare tire carrier will also require modifications if you intend on using your existing one with the reinforcement. You will also need the tether and 3rd brake light if you are going with 37s. The Raptor 3rd brake light has marker lights (base doesn't) and thus has a different connector/circuit than the base bronco light assembly. I am not sure what I am going to do there but probably use the marker lights on the same circuit as the brake lights.

Last edited:

Emmitt

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also like the Raptor look over some of the aftermarket options.

Emmitt

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I finished up with the Braptor spare tire carrier, tail gate reinforcement and hinge install today on my BadSquatch. I worked with my local dealer (Rod Baker) and it came out looking good. It does feel very solid. I stayed with my 35s but have the ability to now go with 37s when I feel like it is needed.

The Braptor tire carrier includes the 3rd tail light and does have a different connector due to the addition of marker lights. We left the marker light circuit open and modified the harness with the original connector. I will probably go with a lighted wheel ring when the weather warms up :).

Ford Bronco Braptor Tailgate Support on Standard Bronco IMG_7565

Biggwrm

First Edition
First Name
Orran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Looks great. I too prefer the look of the raptor over aftermarket options. Mind sharing your parts list?

Sponsored

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I finished up with the Braptor spare tire carrier, tail gate reinforcement and hinge install today on my BadSquatch. I worked with my local dealer (Rod Baker) and it came out looking good. It does feel very solid. I stayed with my 35s but have the ability to now go with 37s when I feel like it is needed.

The Braptor tire carrier includes the 3rd tail light and does have a different connector due to the addition of marker lights. We left the marker light circuit open and modified the harness with the original connector. I will probably go with a lighted wheel ring when the weather warms up :).

Ford Bronco Braptor Tailgate Support on Standard Bronco IMG_7565
If you switched to the braptor tire carrier, did you also have to modify the wheel studs as the braptor uses a different stud pattern then the standard bronco.

Emmitt

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you switched to the braptor tire carrier, did you also have to modify the wheel studs as the braptor uses a different stud pattern then the standard bronco.
I bought a larger set of lug nuts from a local auto parts store for the spare. I couldn't find a set that were capped and thus the stud threads are exposed to the environment. I put them on for the winter but have a set of capped lug nuts coming in tomorrow from Real Truck - PN RHI-8446LK6-B. Update 4/8: Parts arrived and were the incorrect thread pitch. I want the studs capped before I get out in all of the dust and grime. Your timing is impeccable :)

I also had to account for the spare tire isolator size differences. Both the stock top and bottom isolators had gaps with respect to the contact with tire due to the Raptor having larger tires. You can see the issue with attachment "Gap.PNG" below. I bought a set of furniture pads for the top (see "Stopper Information.PNG" below) and used gorilla glue to attach them to the brake light pad. Kind of crude but you can see the final product in "Rubber Pad Added.JPEG".

For the lower pad I used the Ford isolator/stopper part number M2DZ-1A401-A which is about 3/4 of an inch longer than the production one. It was designed for a smaller tire. I put the part number information and a photo of the final product below.

My apologies for mixing up the stopper/isolator terminologies but I hope this helps.

Ford Bronco Braptor Tailgate Support on Standard Bronco Gap.PNG

Ford Bronco Braptor Tailgate Support on Standard Bronco Stopper Informatio

Ford Bronco Braptor Tailgate Support on Standard Bronco Rubber Pad Added

Ford Bronco Braptor Tailgate Support on Standard Bronco Isolator Update
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited: