Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was set on a FJ until I sat in one. It made me feel claustrophobic.
The back seat certainly was. I though the interior design was a little goofy as well.

I bought my Commander in '06 after looking at the FJ and the H3. The Commander is nicely styled and has served me well, but the quality is sub-par. Everybody has replaced the crappy plastic parts they used in the door handles. Keeping the drain tube clear in the sunroof is a constant battle if you park it outside. Plenty of electrical issues as well.

I thought the H3 was a nicely done vehicle inside and out. Could have used a stronger engine, though. I was surprised given that the H2 was a bloated mess.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hossfire

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wonder if they have the guts to do a package where they have opened up the wheel wells and allow customization. Get rid of those "pretty" painted fenders and sell a model with 35" tires to match the Fox shocks on the TRD Pro.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think it's early for announcements. Listening carefully to folks who work at dealerships, it's mere whispers about something, which is what you get in the media as well. The fact that they still make them overseas just means they have to commit a plant in the US and ensure they meet the standards here. They must know the market is there after watching this fiasco launch.

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can add something to this conversation by looking back at history.

In 2003 Toyota introduced the FJ Cruiser in the North American Auto shows and no one I know had a clue or even a whiff of knowledge. Blew me away as a concept with front and rear winches, full suspension seats, removeable GPS handheld device mounted in the dash, spot lights on the outside mirrors. Totally unlike Toyota. I knew then I would own the vehicle.

Production debut was the Chicago Auto Show with live streaming in January 2005 (if memory serves me correctly) and came out as the production vehicle. A big hit.

I got in line and received mine March of 2006 as a 2007 model year. 6 years and 128,000 miles later the FJC still stands as my favorite new vehicle.

I don't see Toyota doing anything with the FJC in 2022. I believe that's reserved for the 2023 4Runner (their real cash cow).

My real point being is that Toyota is really good at keeping their secrets. They have the continent of Australia to test their shit out with virtually no population to spy on them. I have to admit though when I heard about the rumored Trail Hunter name I became a little firm.
Sponsored

Last edited: