Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

TIL Oregon has a desert.
Even Washington (particularly the Channeled Scablands) and Idaho (southern half) have deserts as well. Idaho has some great dunes actually (St. Anthony). Pretty sure every state west of the Rockies has some sort of desert or arid countryside.

Sponsored

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Most people don't know, but Oregon is mostly desert. And it's full of interesting things. It's my favorite areas to explore. I'd recommend it to anyone!
You should connect with Casey from Coyote Works.

OP
OP
B Miller

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should connect with Casey from Coyote Works.
I've emailed with Casey. We'll be meeting at the High Desert Overland get together in May. Excited to meet him and all the other folks!

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Most people don't know, but Oregon is mostly desert. And it's full of interesting things. It's my favorite areas to explore. I'd recommend it to anyone!
Lots of old stuff can be found in deserts, simply because it doesn't rot in the dry environment or get covered up by vegetation. Deserts aren't typically considered tourist destinations except for a few popular places, so a lot of the old stuff is still there to find. I've found tons of things here in TX for the same reasons.

Coincidentally, there was a mining claim on the NE slope of Frederick Butte back in the 70's, perhaps that tin shelter might have had something to do with the placer mining there. Could also have been a shelter for someone's dogs/animals, or equipment, and thus wouldn't have needed a fire pit of any sort. Seems like a metal detector or pan might be good to add to your kit if you're around that area with nothing better to do.

Sponsored

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've watched a bunch of your vids. Epic stache!

OP
OP
B Miller

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lots of old stuff can be found in deserts, simply because it doesn't rot in the dry environment or get covered up by vegetation. Deserts aren't typically considered tourist destinations except for a few popular places, so a lot of the old stuff is still there to find. I've found tons of things here in TX for the same reasons.

Coincidentally, there was a mining claim on the NE slope of Frederick Butte back in the 70's, perhaps that tin shelter might have had something to do with the placer mining there. Could also have been a shelter for someone's dogs/animals, or equipment, and thus wouldn't have needed a fire pit of any sort. Seems like a metal detector or pan might be good to add to your kit if you're around that area with nothing better to do.
Good thoughts there. The funny thing is, I forgot to pack my metal detector! I also had the thought that it could just be a kids fort. Who knows. I'll have to check out that mining claim. I'll be out there again next week.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks to another YouTube channel that does a lot of Oregon Desert videos I had my eyes opened as far as how truly dry the Oregon desert is. I known for a long time the whole of Oregon wasn’t Willamet Valley, but I pictured sage brush and pinion/juniper desert, not the kind of desert that is indistinguishable from my backyard. Now your video is more of what I expected from Oregon Desert, being that far north. Elevation makes a difference, I’m sure. Loved the “Sparta Well” and cow camp. Glad you got some sleep. My hunting partner is retired fire and the shift work disorder is wrecking him.

Last edited: