John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well, this is Bucky's (4 dr AMB OBX) longest trip yet. Over Thanksgiving we went South and back 600 miles each way, but this trip after Christmas is a two day each way 1500 out and 1500 back. Sorry up front for lack of pictures but I will get some.

Day 1 West on I90/I80 to West Des Moine, IA. Less traffic and far less construction than last trip this route. Smooth sailing but heavy winds and rain. Got to our usual stop in West Des Moine. I highly recommend the Hilton Garden Inn there. Able to buy 93 octane most of the way

Day 2 Woke up Tuesday morning to a 1/4 inch of ice all over Bucky and was glad we slept in as the road west was slippery in several spots. Did you know you can only use Slippery Mode in 4A? Rear window warmed up quickly and its ice disappeared after about 10 miles. Cleared up completely by the time we reached Omaha.

Still plenty of head winds, in fact blowing enough that the whip antenna occasionally bent back to hit the windshield pillar or roof - I was not sure but now will be looking for a stubby. Despite that wind, and a batch of 91 octane without ethanol that Bucky did not care for he wanted to run wild and free on the open prairie, hitting 96 and steady at 89-90 mph nearly all the way to Denver. Mid day what they sell as Super Unleaded in 87 with ethanol compared to regular 87 without. Finally found some 81 E10 and we will see how he likes this diet. Is 93 octane only available east of the Mississippi and if so WTF?

Saw a few Bronco Sports, left all but one Wrangler in the dust (the Willys edition disappeared into the sunset) but nary a one Bronco all the way from Pennsylvania to Colorado in either direction. I know there are at least 2 running around here in greater Denver area and maybe we will cross paths before trip ends. Hope to get to Red Rocks and Evergreen this trip.
Sponsored

OregonMike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs