Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo S90, Chevy Suburban, Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do the front bumpers have sensors in them for the airbags that could make the airbags be not as safe? Or are the sensors not in the bumpers?

Wondering if I go for the modular bumper just as a "safer" bet or wait for a cooler aftermarket ARB etc style bumper. I don't want to lose the safety aspect as we have kids.
Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not typically.

Toaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLUR, ‘19 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The sensors will most likely be behind the grill like on the F-150 and Wranglers

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Very early airbags had sensors in/near the bumpers. Today's tech there are no longer in the bumpers.

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most airbag sensors are accelerometers. They can be placed anywhere in the vicinity of the desired coverage region. The critical thing is to ensure they are correctly aligned (i.e, not bolted on facing in the lateral driection when they are supposed to be sensing longintudinal deceleration).

Very rare to find the on a bumper anymore -- ore connections that would have to be made during vehicle asembly. Usually they are on a front frame rail or in the front cooling module package structure (most manufacturers today receive cooling subassemblies with radiator, trans cooler, intercoler, brackets, sensors, fans, etc., preassembled, with the entire subassebly ready for drop-in installation on the vehicle asembly line).
Sponsored