First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Man people must really have a thing against ground tents! I kid, but it is Amazing how many other ways to create shelter there are now. Looks pretty cool.

I just don’t like having camp attached to my vehicle. Makes spending more than a day in one place a pain to go anywhere in the truck. Like wheeling or site seeing. Gotta pack up the whole camp just to go anywhere... maybe good for real over landing if you’re really moving every day though...

ironmike

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Man people must really have a thing against ground tents! I kid, but it is Amazing how many other ways to create shelter there are now. Looks pretty cool.

I just don’t like having camp attached to my vehicle. Makes spending more than a day in one place a pain to go anywhere in the truck. Like wheeling or site seeing. Gotta pack up the whole camp just to go anywhere... maybe good for real over landing if you’re really moving every day though...
It takes less than 5 minutes to breakdown the typical RTT. Rest of “camp” can stay where it is, and off you go. Pretty insignificant “penalty”. There are other more legitimate arguments against RTT’s, like cost, weight, load balancing. Setup and teardown is not one of them.

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
It takes less than 5 minutes to breakdown the typical RTT. Rest of “camp” can stay where it is, and off you go. Pretty insignificant “penalty”. There are other more legitimate arguments against RTT’s, like cost, weight, load balancing. Setup and teardown is not one of them.
Yeah I guess if you're only taking the tent with you I can see how that would be okay. We tend to leave kitchen, sleeping, general items (except for food) inside our tent area when we leave camp. May not be "secure" but definitely out of sight and more of a pain for wandering eyes and keeps our space claimed.

We're also usually reasonably off the beaten path reasonably away from people. I generally integrate our tent (oztent) into our shade / rain / bug screen vestibule etc so it would be more complicated for us to break down. Having it all set up when we get back from the day is nice.

In CA you have to drive 55 with a trailer too (legally) - our oztent has been an amazing tent the last couple seasons, but I may now be considering an offroad trailer option with the smaller bronco to haul our setup. Then we can just unhitch at camp and go exploring. My F150 was definitely a better family "car camping" vehicle - the 2-door bronco will be great for mountain biking overnights though with just me and a buddy.

To each their own for sure - I just remember having our previous setup as drawers and a bed in the back of my f150 and we never really felt right leaving only our kitchen / table / setup by themselves but taking the "living quarters" with us. Not sure why. Wasn't quite enough stuff to be "camp" if that makes sense.
Sponsored