Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi all:

As one of the first on this forum to take delivery of a Bronco with a CAPABLE BUMPER, I've been posting for months and months about updating the factory fogs with something aftermarket, and also adding a smaller light in the little space beside the fog. After no real aftermarket solutions specific to the capable came along that I really wanted, I decided to pull the trigger on the @Diode Dynamics SS3 Fogs (in the Pro power level, Yellow, amber back light), and the SSC1s (white, spot, Pro level with amber backlight).

So, I got the "kit" that DD sells as a replacement for the STANDARD (plastic) bumper, which comes with a plug and play wiring kit that allows you to plug the SS3 directly into the factory wire housing. It fits perfect.

For the C1's, I got the light-duty 4-pin wiring harness.....

I tied all the backlight power wires together and wired them to Aux #6.

I wired the C1 spots to Aux #5, and the SS3's are powered by the factory switch.

Here' a few pics and a little guide for those of you with the capable bumper.

I can't recommend these @Diodedynamics lights enough. The quality is amazing.

The capable bumper is very simple to remove.

Start out by taking a plastic pry and remove the covers around the D rings...they just pop out.

Then remove the 15 mm bolts on each side, and unplug the wiring harness over by the driver's side. Now the bumper will lift right off.

Each side has a total of ELEVEN 8mm bolts around the light housing....but you only have to remove EIGHT of them to get to the back of the factory light. After you do this, lift up the plastic and you'll see the factory fog held on by 4 torx screws....a size 25 bit will get it out.

From there, if all you are doing is replacing the fogs, you don't need to remove the other THREE 8 mm bolts, simply drop the SS3 in place of the factory fog...BUT, here you need to NOTE ONE DIFFERENCE....the SS3 will NOT drop ALL THE WAY flush with the screw holes....this is because the SS3 is a little deeper and will hit the plastic rim....you CAN trim the plastic, but I didn't want to do that, so I used some M6 nuts I had lying around as bumper spacers instead, (SEE MY POST BELOW. I DIDN'T HAVE THE BRACKETS PUSHED ALL WAY AGAINST THE LIGHT. NOW THE LIGHT DOES SIT FLUSH WITH THE HOUSING). then just screw in your t25 factory bolts to hold the new SS3's.

NOW, if you are wanting to add the C1's, you WILL have to remove these additional three 8 mm bolts....this will let you lift the rest of the plastic housing up where you will need to drill a hole in the top of the housing for the C1 bracket (the light will mount upside down...but with the C1, it won't affect the beam pattern).

The hole has to be drilled on the top part because it is the only part that is flat....the bottom of the housing is curved and unsuitable for mounting the bracket.

Here's some pics with some descriptions.

ONE TIP: When you plug in the factory fog harness to the DD SS3 lights, make sure you have the polarity right (you'll see a + and - on there), if its not right the lights won't come on. Ask me how I know.

Ford Bronco Capable Bumper Upgraded with Diode Dynamic Fogs and Spots tempImageXtot69

^^ Back of the housing showing the 8mm bolts.

Ford Bronco Capable Bumper Upgraded with Diode Dynamic Fogs and Spots tempImageq0hLz2

^^ Back of the factory fog light, showing the 4 size 25 TORX bolts.

Ford Bronco Capable Bumper Upgraded with Diode Dynamic Fogs and Spots tempImagec1SDss

Ford Bronco Capable Bumper Upgraded with Diode Dynamic Fogs and Spots tempImagerMfiKF

^^ You can see the factory fog sits flush with the bolt holes...but with the new SS3....you have about a 1/4" gap....so.... (SEE EDIT)

Ford Bronco Capable Bumper Upgraded with Diode Dynamic Fogs and Spots A4871420-3A1D-4C2E-AF99-BAB2475E0770

^^ I set these size M6 nuts on top of the holes to act as spacer...then dropped in the SS3 and used the factory TORX bolts to bolt them down. (SEE EDIT. NO LONGER NEEDED)

Ford Bronco Capable Bumper Upgraded with Diode Dynamic Fogs and Spots 15A1CB67-88A9-45CA-8BBD-E758BFCB6DD9

^^^^

If you wanna install the additional C1 light, remove the other three 8mm bolts, and drill a hole as close to the white plastic tab as you can, slightly off-center toward the outside of the bumper. This is the hole for the C1 bracket that will come with the light.
Ford Bronco Capable Bumper Upgraded with Diode Dynamic Fogs and Spots FC1FF130-D2B7-4540-947F-4256F82F3489

^^ Here's a pic with the C1 mounted.

And, here it is all buttoned up and finalized.

Ford Bronco Capable Bumper Upgraded with Diode Dynamic Fogs and Spots A723BC36-10E8-4860-92EF-8BA5498E6652
Ford Bronco Capable Bumper Upgraded with Diode Dynamic Fogs and Spots 7A249A8D-BF2F-4B33-B7EF-9E607507A6E7
Ford Bronco Capable Bumper Upgraded with Diode Dynamic Fogs and Spots 0426270E-FA9D-4440-90AC-2F5A221CA5A7
Sponsored

Last edited:

Diode Dynamics

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John C.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We're happy to hear you're loving your SS3 fog lights and SSC1 LED pods on your 2022 Bronco, Wes!

This is a fantastic write-up and has provided us with additional feedback for our engineering team to review.

Thank you!

OP
OP
Tarheel_Wes

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi all:

Wanna make a small edit to this:

I was adjusting the beams on the fogs and I realized that I simply didn’t have the mounting brackets pushed all the way down, so when I did that it eliminated the need for the M6 nuts to be used as spacers.

OP
OP
Tarheel_Wes

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We're happy to hear you're loving your SS3 fog lights and SSC1 LED pods on your 2022 Bronco, Wes!

This is a fantastic write-up and has provided us with additional feedback for our engineering team to review.

Thank you!
Hi all:

Wanna make a small edit to this:

I was adjusting the beams on the fogs and I realized that I simply didn’t have the mounting brackets pushed all the way down, so when I did that it eliminated the need for the M6 nuts to be used as spacers.

Thanks

See my edit about the spacers

Sponsored

atimberwolf

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Guess I need to get some parts on order.

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi all:

As one of the first on this forum to take delivery of a Bronco with a CAPABLE BUMPER, I've been posting for months and months about updating the factory fogs with something aftermarket, and also adding a smaller light in the little space beside the fog. After no real aftermarket solutions specific to the capable came along that I really wanted, I decided to pull the trigger on the @Diode Dynamics SS3 Fogs (in the Pro power level, Yellow, amber back light), and the SSC1s (white, spot, Pro level with amber backlight).

So, I got the "kit" that DD sells as a replacement for the STANDARD (plastic) bumper, which comes with a plug and play wiring kit that allows you to plug the SS3 directly into the factory wire housing. It fits perfect.

For the C1's, I got the light-duty 4-pin wiring harness.....

I tied all the backlight power wires together and wired them to Aux #6.

I wired the C1 spots to Aux #5, and the SS3's are powered by the factory switch.

Here' a few pics and a little guide for those of you with the capable bumper.

I can't recommend these @Diodedynamics lights enough. The quality is amazing.

The capable bumper is very simple to remove.

Start out by taking a plastic pry and remove the covers around the D rings...they just pop out.

Then remove the 15 mm bolts on each side, and unplug the wiring harness over by the driver's side. Now the bumper will lift right off.

Each side has a total of ELEVEN 8mm bolts around the light housing....but you only have to remove EIGHT of them to get to the back of the factory light. After you do this, lift up the plastic and you'll see the factory fog held on by 4 torx screws....a size 25 bit will get it out.

From there, if all you are doing is replacing the fogs, you don't need to remove the other THREE 8 mm bolts, simply drop the SS3 in place of the factory fog...BUT, here you need to NOTE ONE DIFFERENCE....the SS3 will NOT drop ALL THE WAY flush with the screw holes....this is because the SS3 is a little deeper and will hit the plastic rim....you CAN trim the plastic, but I didn't want to do that, so I used some M6 nuts I had lying around as bumper spacers instead, (SEE MY POST BELOW. I DIDN'T HAVE THE BRACKETS PUSHED ALL WAY AGAINST THE LIGHT. NOW THE LIGHT DOES SIT FLUSH WITH THE HOUSING). then just screw in your t25 factory bolts to hold the new SS3's.

NOW, if you are wanting to add the C1's, you WILL have to remove these additional three 8 mm bolts....this will let you lift the rest of the plastic housing up where you will need to drill a hole in the top of the housing for the C1 bracket (the light will mount upside down...but with the C1, it won't affect the beam pattern).

The hole has to be drilled on the top part because it is the only part that is flat....the bottom of the housing is curved and unsuitable for mounting the bracket.

Here's some pics with some descriptions.

ONE TIP: When you plug in the factory fog harness to the DD SS3 lights, make sure you have the polarity right (you'll see a + and - on there), if its not right the lights won't come on. Ask me how I know.

Ford Bronco Capable Bumper Upgraded with Diode Dynamic Fogs and Spots 0426270E-FA9D-4440-90AC-2F5A221CA5A7

^^ Back of the housing showing the 8mm bolts.

^^ Back of the factory fog light, showing the 4 size 25 TORX bolts.

^^ You can see the factory fog sits flush with the bolt holes...but with the new SS3....you have about a 1/4" gap....so.... (SEE EDIT)

^^ I set these size M6 nuts on top of the holes to act as spacer...then dropped in the SS3 and used the factory TORX bolts to bolt them down. (SEE EDIT. NO LONGER NEEDED)

^^^^

If you wanna install the additional C1 light, remove the other three 8mm bolts, and drill a hole as close to the white plastic tab as you can, slightly off-center toward the outside of the bumper. This is the hole for the C1 bracket that will come with the light.

^^ Here's a pic with the C1 mounted.

And, here it is all buttoned up and finalized.

I was gonna try this and learned it's pretty impossible without taking the bumper off. Repurposed my lights up to the A-Pillars. Still gotta get my backlight working. Don't wanna put it on a switch.

OP
OP
Tarheel_Wes

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was gonna try this and learned it's pretty impossible without taking the bumper off. Repurposed my lights up to the A-Pillars. Still gotta get my backlight working. Don't wanna put it on a switch.

Yea, but the bumper is super easy to take off.

OP
OP
Tarheel_Wes

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are you tightening everything down before putting it in the bumper because there is not enough room to make adjustments after it is installed?

Yea, pretty much have to get it tight before putting it back in.

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs