Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have an appointment to have my ‘23 Badlands professionally ceramic coated. I’m wondering if anyone has had their MIC top coated as well? Is it possible and would it be effective? The company doing my truck has never encountered a MIC top.
TIA! Chris
Sponsored

OP
OP
BigSkyBronco

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

jefrac

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '08 Porsche Cayman
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yes, for sure. I own a shop where we do that kind of thing (ppf, tint, ceramic coating, etc.) There are good products now that are made for plastics that are a good option for the top. Gives it some UV protection and makes it hydrophobic. No downside.

Big Pony

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Ascent LTD '20
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have an appointment to have my ‘23 Badlands professionally ceramic coated. I’m wondering if anyone has had their MIC top coated as well? Is it possible and would it be effective? The company doing my truck has never encountered a MIC top.
TIA! Chris
I’ve also done mine. Best thing I ever did for the top hands down. Go for it.

Sponsored

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

TIA! Chris
100% OK for the MIC and it’s a great idea to hit the fender flares, bumpers, wheels, glass - the full Monty!

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've personally ceramic coated mine, and so far no issues.

That said, the textured surface of the hard top is not really suitable for ceramic coating. The hydrophobic properties of the coating on my hard top lasted maybe three months. It's now 7 months later and the coating is no longer really doing anything of value on the hard top. I do plan on re-coating it this summer just to see if maybe I can make the coating last longer if I apply it a little thicker, but I don't have much hope.

So I will buck the trend a bit and say this:

Yes, you can definitely ceramic coat it. But my hunch is that if you have to pay a ton of extra money to ceramic coat the hard top, you may just want to skip it. If you decide to ceramic coat it anyway, don't expect it to have the same value as ceramic coating on normal painted surfaces. If this company has never coated a MIC top before, there is a good chance they'll run into the same issues I did.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are good products now that are made for plastics
Yeah, I've read some of these ceramics are getting RAVE reviews for being phenomenal plastic "dressings". They really make them look good AND protect them.
On the Bronco, the mirrors , flares and mod bumpers come to mind.

Whereas some of the others NOT designed for it can make them streaky, splotchy, etc or worse.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anybody remember the 2021 MIC 1.0 fiasco with the honeycombing issue?

One of the first replies was "did you wax it?"

... because Ford was stating to not apply any treatments to the MIC.

That comment lived in infamy for a good while, the thought being, if the top was indeed that fragile that you couldn't put a protective coating on it, we are all screwed.

After that, any time an issue was spotted that was an obvious defect, the replies were all "Did you wax it?"

Now , here we are asking if we can coat the MIC!
It gives me a laugh....

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It may be fine but IMO, you are giving FORD a reason to deny any warranty claim. I would read FORD's approved chemical usage list for the MIC. If ceramic coating is not on the list....your risk to do it.

Sponsored

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It may be fine but IMO, you are giving FORD a reason to deny any warranty claim. I would read FORD's approved chemical usage list for the MIC. If ceramic coating is not on the list....your risk to do it.

If you pay to have it 3rd party treated then I would get a warranty in writing from the company that it will not damage the top . That way when Ford denies it you have someone else to blame ,LOL.

Being sarcastic of course. I would not put anything on it and I'd bet no one will put in writing that any of these magical treatments won't harm it either.

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350/2024 Bronco Big Bend (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've had 3 cars professionally ceramic coated and it really is a combination of the vendor/service provider that you use. How knowledgeable are they of the different products they provide and do they give balanced/honest information regarding what the coating can and cannot do and the longevity. The other factor is the product that you are using, some are rated for paint only and are not as effective on plastics and trim or there is another product more suited for this.
I will be taking my bronco into the same guy who did my shelby and asking him these questions regarding the plastics and the top.
You do get what you pay for with Ceramics. A DIY product may be fine, but don't expect high longevity or ultra hydrophobic properties vs a higher end product that requires a certified installer.
The idea that it's going to hurt the plastics or the roof is ridiculous. Never seen a ceramic product damage plastic.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you pay to have it 3rd party treated then I would get a warranty in writing from the company that it will not damage the top . That way when Ford denies it you have someone else to blame ,LOL.

Being sarcastic of course. I would not put anything on it and I'd bet no one will put in writing that any of these magical treatments won't harm it either.
Agreed.....and if you tell the detailer these $7K OEM tops are falling apart right and left...they probably won't touch them.
Sponsored