First Name
Hazed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
1030 miles and second check engine light. First time repair here is dealer detail: “
CS CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON. CHECK AND REPORT.
INTERNAL FAULT PURGE VALVE
SCANNED FOR CODES CODE P0456 PRESENT FALLOWED PIN POINT TEST
HX HX1 FAILED EVAP TEST HX2 YES DTC P0456 PRESENT HX3 NO
VISUAL CONCERN HX37 FILLER PIPE AND EVAPE LINES GOOD HX43
HOOKED UP SMOKE TESTER HX44 NO LEAK FOUND HX45 LEAK TEST
PASSED HX46 PURGE VALVE FAILED LEAK TEST ORDERED NEW EVAP
PURGE VALVE REPLACED EVAP PURGE VALVE AND CLEARED CODES”

Just sent in second time. Really not willing to fix this every 500 miles. Thoughts? What are issues with this vapor system and how pervasive are they?
Sponsored

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The EVAP system is an emissions control system. Essentially the fuel vapor that comes off of the gasoline gets burned rather than being sent into the atmosphere, and there is a whole pressurized system that handles that.

It's a fairly common problem in modern vehicles... I've personally replaced 7 purge valves on various family/friend-owned vehicles over the past 15 years or so. And of course there people always have issues with leaky gas caps that aren't sealing properly that causes the computer to throw an EVAP codes.

Although obviously it's not something you should should give you problems within the first 500 miles. Have they said what the engine code was for on your second visit?

SZairborne

Big Bend
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge charger GT AWD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have had the same issue. Now my light is on again too. They cant see me till March 21st. My first one was at 1100 miles, now again at 6000 miles.

OP
OP

Penn65000

Wildtrak
First Name
Hazed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The EVAP system is an emissions control system. Essentially the fuel vapor that comes off of the gasoline gets burned rather than being sent into the atmosphere, and there is a whole pressurized system that handles that.

It's a fairly common problem in modern vehicles... I've personally replaced 7 purge valves on various family/friend-owned vehicles over the past 15 years or so. And of course there people always have issues with leaky gas caps that aren't sealing properly that causes the computer to throw an EVAP codes.

Although obviously it's not something you should should give you problems within the first 500 miles. Have they said what the engine code was for on your second visit?
Haven’t heard yet. Dropped it off and they can’t do the work for weeks. I’ve three other cars and never had this issue with any.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Likely the EVAP purge valve, but I have heard of a couple of cases where the Ford capless filler flap was not sealing. It would be worth a look and see if there is anything from preventing a good seal.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Haven’t heard yet. Dropped it off and they can’t do the work for weeks. I’ve three other cars and never had this issue with any.
Don’t forget you can go to any Ford dealer to get warranty work done if your particular dealer is super backed up.

That said… I know there is a nationwide shortage of automotive technicians right now. And taking into account a lot of people are hanging on to their old vehicles for longer thanks to interest rates being so high, I wouldn’t be surprised if most dealers are backed up to some degree.

It’ll be interesting to see if it’s the EVAP system again or if it’s something else. On some vehicles it’s hard to diagnose if the issue is the purge valve or some other issue… and you often don’t really know for sure until after you replace the purge valve.

OP
OP

Penn65000

Wildtrak
First Name
Hazed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Don’t forget you can go to any Ford dealer to get warranty work done if your particular dealer is super backed up.

That said… I know there is a nationwide shortage of automotive technicians right now. And taking into account a lot of people are hanging on to their old vehicles for longer thanks to interest rates being so high, I wouldn’t be surprised if most dealers are backed up to some degree.

It’ll be interesting to see if it’s the EVAP system again or if it’s something else. On some vehicles it’s hard to diagnose if the issue is the purge valve or some other issue… and you often don’t really know for sure until after you replace the purge valve.
Dealers taking months to book service visits. Never another ford. I’ve never had this issue w any other car and I have 4 currently.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gross leak=easy to find (usually) Small leak=FML
Small leaks on EVAP systems are the absolute worst. The pressures on the EVAP system are so low as it is, so if it's a small leak it's just... not fun at all to deal with.

You're just sitting there with the smoke machine hoping and praying you see something... anything... just give me a sign.... please... I just need a sign!! 😰

OP
OP

Penn65000

Wildtrak
First Name
Hazed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Small leaks on EVAP systems are the absolute worst. The pressures on the EVAP system are so low as it is, so if it's a small leak it's just... not fun at all to deal with.

You're just sitting there with the smoke machine hoping and praying you see something... anything... just give me a sign.... please... I just need a sign!! 😰
Well we got the extended warranty for a song thx to this site. But a pain bringing back again. We have a lincoln too and any time there’s an issue they see us right away. Same w Bmw and audi. Ford dealers are a joke. Generally old school lowlifes.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We’ll we got the extended warranty for a song thx to this site. But a pain bringing back again. We have a lincoln too and any time there’s an issue they see us right away. Same w Bmw and audi. Ford dealers are a joke. Generally old school lowlifes.
It depends largely on your area unfortunately.

Diagnosis at my dealer is same-day or next-day, and any repairs depends on what parts they have to order. Meanwhile Honda and Subaru dealers in my area are extremely backed up and people are waiting months for repairs. If you want your BMW serviced, you now have to drive over an hour into a neighboring state to get served because most of the local BMW dealers have closed up shop. Definitely a mixed bag.

---

Also... I should mention that Lincoln is owned by Ford, and most Lincoln dealers are also Ford dealers. So if you have a nearby Lincoln dealer that you prefer and has given you a good experience in the past, you can always see if they will service your Bronco.

Dealers are independent businesses, so if you have a bad experience at one dealer, you may find that you have a much better experience at another dealer—even if they both have the same Ford logo on the side of the building.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We’ll we got the extended warranty for a song thx to this site. But a pain bringing back again. We have a lincoln too and any time there’s an issue they see us right away. Same w Bmw and audi. Ford dealers are a joke. Generally old school lowlifes.
Ford hates the dealers and technicians to the point Ford techs have been fleeing this business over the last several years more than other manufacturers. A lot has to do with labor times and the ungodly number of hoops we have to go through to get paid by Ford. Not making excuses but we're backed up a solid 3 weeks for regular work, lube guys are 2 weeks and I'm in a town of 15,000. I've heard bigger metro stores are 4-6 weeks, a lot of that has to do with the techmageddon. Lots of different issues but I can assure you the dealers don't want this problem because it's not good for the customer or dealer.
Sponsored

• Wow
Reactions: 0ne