First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I own a '23 - WildTrak 2.7L w/ High/Lux package (ACC, Front/360 Camera(s), Parking Proximity Sensors) and "Capable of" bumper (these details are important for this thread).

I've scoured the Bronco 6G forum for experience and thoughts on this subject topic - there are some really good individual discussions (winch location (high mount, low mount, capable of, HD modular bumper, 2.3L v. 2.7L complexities), towing, replacing (and strengthening to frame) recovery points. What is missing, or what I am seeking is others who are interested in this blend of topics......or experience to weigh in "what I am aiming to do" (why am I trying to "have it all"). And a few of these topic points (i.e. flat towing an offroader) I have very limited experience.

What I want:
- To be able to mount a winch (10k-12k # capable (10" x 4.5" size), while maintaining full underbody protections (skid plates through gas tank coverage).
- Ideally (3 out of 10 importance), be able to slap the winch on front OR back hitch for forward and rear self recovery....had a friends pickup (way back in HS) w/ wire disconnect front and rear and mounted to 2" trailer hitch style receiver, so one winch, two mount locations (granted we (friends and I) never used it to its "max", but knowing we had the front and rear recovery options were good...I worry with some of the Bronco damage (front frame/recovery points) I've seen, a 2" receiver recover with a winch may not be suitable. Back in the pickup HS days, we would have 2-5 trucks out at a time (so rear recover was a kinetic strap and buddies truck), where I am in my life it will often be me/family and whoever else MIGHT be on the trail (and Matt's off road recovery isn't franchised everywhere in the US yer :-D )....also not looking for 10/10 off road challenge,s more gain experience with kids/Spouse on off roading (V. gravel farm road V. mud pit, V. sand racing V. Rock Crawling)...meaning I don't plan to beat the rig, though ramp-up with family experience and their likes/dislikes.
- I want to keep best approach angle and clearance....I really like the "look" of mounting the winch low (less chance of theft, cleaner look.....but lose some approach angle and clearance (plus not a big fan of having to "scuba dive in gravy" (heavy thick mud) to find the winch hook...and 100% this install location takes out the option to swap winch "front to back". Plus having the 2.7L it is a non-trivial (very doable) modification as relocating parts in engine bay and intercooler, etc.
- I also want to flat tow this Bronco....I have limited experience here (my folks flat towed a Grand Cherokee all over the US/Alaska behind a Bluebird CAT 3208 pusher motor home, so not complete novice, but not extensive experience. My total trip set up - I want to flat tow the Bronco w/ my daily driver (F150 SuperCrew, 3.6L Ecoboost) where the F150 is more than weight/capacity capable. The types of trips we do as a family, is drive out in pick-up with campign equipment/boat....we then car camp and take side trips (towns, sites, lakes) and then back home (3-10 days)...The F150 has a cab and RTT on top - its starting to become laborious to setup camp and then break down camp, every time we want to take a side trip.... I envision we could haul out to Texas, Colorado, Utah, North Carolina w/ F150 and flat Bronco in Tow, then disconnect Bronco for "exploring" and leave F150 setup as our base camp. I've thought through buying a 2 axle car trailer (will get to later) but really don't like the cost (buying one more thing), storage (where do I keep said trailer), maintenance (5 more tires, 2-4 more sets of brakes), wiring harness, etc...and when I get somewhere (in the woods, trail, outerbanks, trails) where do I put the trailer...having the flat towed Bronco, I can always disconnect and go get help or self recover between the two vehicles....though I don't see many folks flat tow an offroader.....I think I know why, but am asking, why not?
-I also want to keep all functionality alive....meaning I want to keep what I paid for in terms of features (ACC, cameras, etc), its good for when we want it...meaning keep Parking Sensors, front camera, ACC, etc.
-Finally, though it's probably "silly", the aesthetics of the rig and front end are important. Having the wiring harness for the flat tow points extruding obtrusively back the front grill, or harness plug, or emergency breakaway cable hanging off the front of the Bronco (when not connected) adds failure points, catch points, and doesn't look "clean" to me.

Here's what I think is missing
- I really like the JCR winch mount, and clean install to the front end and ability to keep ACC, proximity, and camera (plus front license plate option) (this thread - https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/high-mount-winch-plate-installed-on-capable-bumper.84301/). I would also be satisfied with the Mabett's (link - https://www.amazon.com/Mabett-Mounting-Bracket-Bronco-Accessories/dp/B0BNQ6DSKR) or similiar (Buckle up ButterCup - https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/capable-bumper-winch-options.55093/
- Flat towing has pages (this thread alone has up to 56+ pages) https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/flat-tow-equipment-needed-to-flat-tow-the-2021-bronco.19759/.

Where I am stuck in this research is the ability to blend the pieces I want. That is the 3 bolt, self recovery options (currently these beautiful heavy duty D rings integrated into the "capable of" bumper, a front mounted winches (that sometimes deletes the front D rings for passive through plate holes (for dangling D rings), to flat tow "base plate" adapters, etc.
- I've been thinking of engineering my own solution...and having a fab shop laser cut/weld-up .... so the recovery mount point can function as "winch mount", "as "flat tow mount" and "as off road recovery".....and meet the Look I am going for. I know doing this is harder than typing, but work I enjoy...I'm still not sure what is required for flat tow points between Tow bar connection and tow vehicle (both DOT and proprietary type sleeves, pins, clevises, etc....do I just commit to a tow bar and reverse engineer from their "tow base plates" (i.e. either Bronco or Ranger commercial version)?
- I have looked at countless optional bumper replacements....nothing has jumped out yet, and there is a lot of options (and growing). If anyone reads this and says "have you looked at this one, it does EVERYTHING you are asking for.
- And I am hoping, (from my lack of experience in flat towing) someone has had all these same restrictions and simple says "have you seen this post, or this aftermarket thing, etc).....or don't do it this way at all because of "a, b, and/or c" reasons.

And for context, and again I recognize the obsessive compulsive nature in "doing things right here". I don't mind cutting wires and crimping in a feature or extension....though to give a flavor for what/how I "like" to do things....I would first never (only when all other options are exhausted) use a crimp/ pierce style connection (corrosion, pull out, etc)...I would first cut and solder (with same/higher quality insulation/wire), using OEM color scheme and use a marine grade (internal waterproof/corrosion resistant adhesion) shrink wrap tubing. OR I will take the connection back to the "closest" wiring harness, unplug the harness, d-pin the wires I need, re-run new wire (again same or better grade with same color scheme), and run the additional length needed for a mod....how these things get done matter (to me) with time, looks, reliability (i.e. corrosion and water, mud, salt, etc) intrusion....the connectors used are designed for this, crimp connection work great that day (sometimes ;-D ).....so the solution to these challenges will be taking into consideration the "HOW" as much as the what of the end result.

Many Thanks,
BroncoFeverForever ('88, '23, and worked on many more ('72 though '79s)).
Sponsored