Rem234

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Veloster N, 11 Buick Regal, 02 Lesabre
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had been waiting for it to get consistently warm enough here in Illinois to completely remove the soft top so I could continue working on my hard cover. I made a cardboard template over the winter, but plan to use the soft top mounting point for the front supports so I needed it out of the way to proceed. The cover is a piece of 3/8 thick HDPE. As you can see in the photos it sags some so I am now working on some support bars and the attachment brackets. I'll post up all the details once I get it completed, but my plan is to have it removable with just four bolts or thumb screws. The purpose of this cover for us to provide some semi secure (out of sight) storage, keep sun and some weather off of our tailgate mounted sub box, and increase the subs performance with the top off by providing a "chamber" for the sub to fire into. That being said when I am finished if it resonates or rattles I may have to add some dynamat to the underside.

PXL_20220531_004901444.jpg

PXL_20220531_004853186.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rem234

Rem234

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Update with a couple more pictures. The cover does a great job of keeping stuff out of sight and improving the bass.

PXL_20220615_004430504.jpg

PXL_20220615_004419836.jpg

GreenbeanBob

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I owned an '86 SAAB hatchback a zillion years ago. From the factory, the cargo area had a carpeted cargo area cover made of plywood that worked great.

Found an image of the underside of one (not mine)

Ford Bronco DIY hard rear cargo cover tJ8IVE

Last edited:

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I owned an '86 SAAB hatchback a zillion years ago. From the factory, the cargo area had a carpeted cargo area cover made of plywood that worked great.

Found an image of the underside of one (not mine)

tJ8IVEj.jpg
We use pineapples for measure of size on B6G, but your banana is a weird and intriguing flex... :unsure:

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Update with a couple more pictures. The cover does a great job of keeping stuff out of sight and improving the bass.

Update on adding supports? Very cool I like the look.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rem234

Rem234

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Update on adding supports? Very cool I like the look.
Did not need to do anything to the supports. The cover worked awesome all summer long. I removed it a couple weeks ago to put the soft top back on for the winter. Honestly, I don't think I will mess with making it hinge open next summer, since we never really needed it to move this year. Here are a couple more photos of the rear mounting points that I took.

PXL_20220814_231906015.jpg

PXL_20220814_231913768.jpg

JetG

First Edition
First Name
Jet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Macan Turbo w/PP & 2016 911 Turbo Vert
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
What is holding it in place? Cant really make it out in the pics on how it is kept in place. Awesome idea and more than likely the way I will go with my Brapror.

OP
OP
Rem234

Rem234

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What is holding it in place? Cant really make it out in the pics on how it is kept in place. Awesome idea and more than likely the way I will go with my Brapror.
At the front there are 90 degree brackets that slide over the soft top attachment point locating pin and then are held in place with a bolt into the soft top mount point. This is then attached to the front cross bar.
At the rear the aluminum toe clamps pinch the soft top latch points between them and the rear cross bar. They are just a piece of 1/2" aluminum machined to an "L" shape with a 5/16 threaded hole in the one side. Here are a couple more photos I don't think I had posted before.
I feel like it would be fairly simple to make it hinge at the front and then use some spring latches at the back, so it could be opened. But this is the second summer I have used it and never needed it open for anything.

PXL_20220601_221456597.jpg

PXL_20220602_234537641.jpg

Bheemsoth

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great build! Will this fit with the soft top attached?

OP
OP
Rem234

Rem234

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Great build! Will this fit with the soft top attached?
No, I only put this on when I take the top off for the summer. That is how I was able to use the soft top mounting locations to attach the cover. Here is a current photo.

PXL_20230524_221243198.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rem234

Rem234

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It also makes a great standing taco table...

PXL_20220826_221653208.jpg

GAN

Badlands
First Name
Gan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, Ford Escape, Hyundai Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With doors off is there any way you've considered to secure the rear seats to the cargo area?

OP
OP
Rem234

Rem234

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
With doors off is there any way you've considered to secure the rear seats to the cargo area?
Originally i considered disconnecting the seat latch cable or putting a couple bars across behind the seats, but it's honestly difficult to get the seat down and reach into the back without climbing up onto the step or door sill. I figure anyone willing to do that will figure out how to defeat a latch or lock, or just pry open the cover. This will be our third summer keeping the top and doors off from June till October and fortunately have not had any issues so far.

Reactions: GAN

GAN

Badlands
First Name
Gan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, Ford Escape, Hyundai Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Originally i considered disconnecting the seat latch cable or putting a couple bars across behind the seats, but it's honestly difficult to get the seat down and reach into the back without climbing up onto the step or door sill. I figure anyone willing to do that will figure out how to defeat a latch or lock, or just pry open the cover. This will be our third summer keeping the top and doors off from June till October and fortunately have not had any issues so far.
This is true. Thanks for the quick response!
Sponsored