Sponsored

Does it hurt a dealer if i back out of an order?

Mgro

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If my order is scheduled, built, or delivered (at any stage of production really), does the dealership incur any consequences if I back out? Would they be angry, or happy to throw an ADM and beef up inventory? Hoping some of the dealers on here can chime in.
Sponsored

Romano

Badlands
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw/Honda/Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If my order is scheduled, built, or delivered (at any stage of production really), does the dealership incur any consequences if I back out? Would they be angry, or happy to throw an ADM and beef up inventory? Hoping some of the dealers on here can chime in.
Theyll make more if you back out. question will be why are you backing out?

OP
OP
Mgro

Mgro

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Theyll make more if you back out. question will be why are you backing out?
If I buy one before itā€™s delivered, I wouldnā€™t need it! I donā€™t have any desire to mess with resale, even a 10k gain would zeroed out by sales tax and capital gains tax. Not worth the effort. Also, the days of $30k markups are very nearly over, if not already (donā€™t quote me on that šŸ˜‚)

I had two orders (separate dealers) because both myself and my dad were buying one, he has backed out, so I was going to cancel, but if it doesnā€™t hurt anyone, thought Iā€™d leave it in place in case my order gets hit with ADM or he sees mine and decides he wants it again or something.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you back out of an order before the Bronco is scheduled for build, then yes... it hurts them because they lose a sale. If you back out of the order after it is assigned a VIN and scheduled, then the dealer gets the Bronco anyway.

If we were still in the "normal" times, backing out after it is assigned a VIN would probably hurt them, as the Bronco you configured may be an undesirable configuration that is difficult to sell. Because of this many dealers in the past would not refund your deposit after it was assigned a VIN.

But right now with the vehicle shortages and the popularity of the Bronco, they will have no problem selling the Bronco, probably well above MSRP. So they would likely benefit from you backing out of your order.

Romano

Badlands
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw/Honda/Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I buy one before itā€™s delivered, I wouldnā€™t need it! I donā€™t have any desire to mess with resale, even a 10k gain would zeroed out by sales tax and capital gains tax. Not worth the effort. Also, the days of $30k markups are very nearly over, if not already (donā€™t quote me on that šŸ˜‚)

I had two orders (separate dealers) because both myself and my dad were buying one, he has backed out, so I was going to cancel, but if it doesnā€™t hurt anyone, thought Iā€™d leave it in place in case my order gets hit with ADM or he sees mine and decides he wants it again or something.
you must not have a non refundable deposit. I would recommend taking delivery of yours and once you see its going to go as planned and have recieved it talk to the dealer about cancelling it. They cant penalize you if you have no contract with large deposit. just give them notice ASAP. theyll sell it within a day with a mark up.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Backing out now will have your salesperson shed a tearā€¦ a tear of joy because theyā€™ll mark it up and sell it very quickly.

OP
OP
Mgro

Mgro

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
you must not have a non refundable deposit. I would recommend taking delivery of yours and once you see its going to go as planned and have recieved it talk to the dealer about cancelling it. They cant penalize you if you have no contract with large deposit. just give them notice ASAP. theyll sell it within a day with a mark up.
Thatā€™s what I suspected, Iā€™d feel kind of bad if there was some sort of allocation hit for not delivering to the person that ordered or something, if that was the case, Iā€™d do the right thing and cancel now, but youā€™re right, gives me a back up and doesnā€™t hurt anyone, so may as well keep it

jedmisten

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Take ownership of both and sell one to someone on Bronco6g that was hit with an ADM and backed out.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thatā€™s what I suspected, Iā€™d feel kind of bad if there was some sort of allocation hit for not delivering to the person that ordered or something, if that was the case, Iā€™d do the right thing and cancel now, but youā€™re right, gives me a back up and doesnā€™t hurt anyone, so may as well keep it
At the beginning last February-April, there were rules governing dealers not selling the car to registrant. That was before shortages and backlogs and constraints. You could keep both reservations, and see which one you get the best price on, but as others have said, a dealer will love you for backing out of one, i think.

malt_liqueur

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They will probably add you to their Christmas card list