Sponsored

Does the bronco normally have a tight steering feel?

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the steering on my 2 door Sas is just awesome. Tight and just the right feel. So tight compared to a brand new Jeep Gladiator I test drove back in 2019. That Gladiator had the sloppiest steering of any vehicle I have ever driven. My 97 TJ was better.
Sponsored

Hdscreens

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m almost sure they did cause it should be electric steering on that model year ranger and not power steering.

If steering rack is different for 2.3 and 2.7 I wonder if the assembly line put in wrong steering rack on op’s Bronco?

I had a 2021 ranger tremor and I think they forgot to put power steering on it lol. It was way hard to turn. Got my obx squatch bronco and it's right about where I think it should be. Ten fold better than the ranger.

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think its relative but short answer, yes. Compared to my wrangler, for sure 100%. No wiggle room. I love it like that. Its direct and doesn’t play around. I can only speak to a stock badlands sas package. I would have it no other way. It reminds me of driving a BMW. Heavy steering wheel with no play and any movement in steering leads to movement in the tire. Again, I love it but others might not like it. It makes me feel confident…not like im driving a toy. Most German vehicles also have a similar heavy steering. I associate heavy steering with quality.

Last edited:

jddunfee

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m almost sure they did cause it should be electric steering on that model year ranger and not power steering.

If steering rack is different for 2.3 and 2.7 I wonder if the assembly line put in wrong steering rack on op’s Bronco?
Yah, I was kinda kidding about the no power steering. It was electric but didn't assist much at all. The bronco electric power steering is set up nice on mine. đź‘Ť

OP
OP
Earlybroncoboy

Earlybroncoboy

Badlands
First Name
Wagner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22Bronco,76bronco,73bronco,06F250,96F250,97F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My steering feels pretty light with little or no feedback. Mine is a 2.7 2 door. The steering is fairly numb, but light. Turning circle is quite small on the 2 door as well.

I think I read somewhere that the power steering system is different between the 2.3 and the 2.7. Could that be what you're noticing?
What do u mean by numb?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Earlybroncoboy

Earlybroncoboy

Badlands
First Name
Wagner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think its relative but short answer, yes. Compared to my wrangler, for sure 100%. No wiggle room. I love it like that. Its direct and doesn’t play around. I can only speak to a stock badlands sas package. I would have it no other way. It reminds me of driving a BMW. Heavy steering wheel with no play and any movement in steering leads to movement in the tire. Again, I love it but others might not like it. It makes me feel confident…not like im driving a toy. Most German vehicles also have a similar heavy steering. I associate heavy steering with quality.
That’s how mine feels I’m not particularly crazy about it. I wouldn’t imagine the badlands sas steering program or components to be any different than the other models but maybe. Sure feels different than my last two. Maybe I’ll just get used to it. Thanks for you feed back

rguest3

Badlands
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350, F-450, 2022 Bronco, (2) 77 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Too much Castor will make the Bronco want to stay straight and this may seem to make the steering feel tight.

checking the steering rack and alignment check may reveal the cause of the tight felling steering.

OP
OP
Earlybroncoboy

Earlybroncoboy

Badlands
First Name
Wagner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Too much Castor will make the Bronco want to stay straight and this may seem to make the steering feel tight.

checking the steering rack and alignment check may reveal the cause of the tight felling steering.
Yes good thought I to had a thought about castor. Nothing I did would have effected it but I checked it anyway. It was at the low end of the spec at about 3 degrees. I’m not sure what I would check for on the rack. Seems to steer fine when not moving. Any suggestions.

OP
OP
Earlybroncoboy

Earlybroncoboy

Badlands
First Name
Wagner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update to issue. I had the steering rack replaced due to corrosion inside the rack. Steering is still extremely heavy. Other things have tried.
lowered castor to +2.6 no change
Changed toe to almost zero no change
Removed and Inspected steering shaft no binding
Tried various tire pressures no change

Almost has to be a software issue at this point. Anyone know if there has been any software updates to PSCM over the years? Both My 22s drove flawlessly.

Anyone be willing to share there strategy and calibration codes for the PSCM from forscan so I compare with mine?

I may start a new thread to try and collect that info

Last edited:

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Doesn't sound good. I would pull the inner tie rods & boots. Then run the rack end to end checking for metal shavings each time on each side while checking the inner rack bushing.

OP
OP
Earlybroncoboy

Earlybroncoboy

Badlands
First Name
Wagner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Doesn't sound good. I would pull the inner tie rods & boots. Then run the rack end to end checking for metal shavings each time on each side.
Rack is brand new was just replaced. No change to steering feel with new rack

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rack is brand new was just replaced. No change to steering feel with new rack
🤷‍♂️ But it should be consistent limit to limit. Are you moving when turning or trying to turn from a standstill? What type of surface are you on?
Good luck with it.
Sponsored