Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey all:

Do we expect with regular door removals and installations to have issues with the harness connecting to the doors? Couple thoughts...

- Why would they not consider brass contactors instead. Dirt and debris? Wouldn't work with the door open?
- Why would they not just move the locking mechanism to the hinge area and move the lock switch to the center console like the window and mirror controls? (still have to deal with power to the window motor I realize)

Just thoughts I am speaking out loud. Probably not an issue, but I have not seen the harness connector. Is it similar to the locking mechanism on a PCM? What are you guys thoughts? Room for improvement?
Sponsored

MT/SFA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F250 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey all:

Do we expect with regular door removals and installations to have issues with the harness connecting to the doors? Couple thoughts...

- Why would they not consider brass contactors instead. Dirt and debris? Wouldn't work with the door open?
- Why would they not just move the locking mechanism to the hinge area and move the lock switch to the center console like the window and mirror controls? (still have to deal with power to the window motor I realize)

Just thoughts I am speaking out loud. Probably not an issue, but I have not seen the harness connector. Is it similar to the locking mechanism on a PCM? What are you guys thoughts? Room for improvement?
If they were brass prongs or contacts I don't believe the door would engage them properly, I imagine the door being lifted and angled up as it is removed. I think they will use a plastic plug on a cord with some sort of dust cover when it's off the vehicle.

Lindy08

Outer Banks
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Let's hope they are idiot proof...

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If they were brass prongs or contacts I don't believe the door would engage them properly, I imagine the door being lifted and angled up as it is removed. I think they will use a plastic plug on a cord with some sort of dust cover when it's off the vehicle.
We've seen how they are on the pre-production models, which is a loomed plug into a port in the door jam. The port has a spring hatch over it for protection when the door is removed.

It's not hard to engineer a plug appropriate for these use parameters, and I'd be pretty surprised if Ford didn't think to consider the OP's concerns.

As far as not using brass contacts instead, if you've ever hit a lock/unlock button or down a window while your door was open, you'll know why a loomed connector is used.
Sponsored