Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Less weight and small displacement is probably the biggest reason. The 4cyl in my Tacoma just revs higher when down shifting as well. Nothing like my big block V8 would do, that’s for sure.
Yea, I miss my Mustang lol
Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In a manual car, when coming to a stop I either stay in my current gear until ~1500 then clutch in or if it's a downhill I pick one gear to downshift to and clutch in at 1500.

People that just throw it in neutral OR go through tons of gears every stop are wrong.

One weird question I have, in my auto bronco, if I put it in neutral at speed why doesn't my engine go to idle rpm?

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
One weird question I have, in my auto bronco, if I put it in neutral at speed why doesn't my engine go to idle rpm?
Hmm, haven’t tried that, but perhaps it’s programmed that way so that if you drop it back into D it’s rev-matched to your speed so it’s easier on the transmission? Just a WAG…

TrailRaider

Badlands
First Name
Mr. G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Mitsubishi Montero, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

EPA and Emissions regulations has a large part why downshifting in modern vehicles is vastly different than it was in older vehicles. Rapid changes in the combustion process is much more "dirty" than a slow, controlled process. The average vehicle is built to conform with those regulations and requirements. More sporty vehicles (of which the Bronco is not a part of) give a better drive experience by leaning away from the EPA conforming family sedan. As tech improves, the line between the two will get smaller, until the next round of EPA/emissions revisions.

Sponsored

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was taught you should not just pop it in neutral and coast all the way to the stop.
Down shifting ensures you stay in the proper rpm band if you need to quickly accelerate for some reason. Sure you can look at your speed and know which gear you'll need to be in but that takes time. In an emergency you may need that power immediately to avoid an accident.
The being slowed down by the engine and a little less wear on the brakes is a side benefit, not the ultimate goal.
At least that's what I was taught.
Thats the right way ,the lazy way is just put it neutral and coast to light lol.
I was taught use all gears up and down.

FJCruiser

First Name
Jimee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I rely on engine breaking often in my 2011 6MT FJ Cruiser with 275 hp and a 3.5L V-6. Downshifting to slow down is one of the main advantages of a manual transmission. Been driving manuals since 1975.

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Noticed you waited almost two years for your Bronco. I bet it was worth it! Good luck.
Still waiting, should be at the dealer this week. It’s been sitting in OKC for a week I’m the rail yard.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

EPA and Emissions regulations has a large part why downshifting in modern vehicles is vastly different than it was in older vehicles. Rapid changes in the combustion process is much more "dirty" than a slow, controlled process. The average vehicle is built to conform with those regulations and requirements. More sporty vehicles (of which the Bronco is not a part of) give a better drive experience by leaning away from the EPA conforming family sedan. As tech improves, the line between the two will get smaller, until the next round of EPA/emissions revisions.
Exactly. I've noticed in all my newer rigs, AT, MT big Cid or small they don't compression brake very well. The fly by wire throttle will open up to prevent a 'loaded up' dirty burn. My 2015 F250 v-8 is particularly bad coming down a steep trail in first gear 4L, it will actually hold back better in second.

Sponsored

FJCruiser

First Name
Jimee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Still waiting, should be at the dealer this week. It’s been sitting in OKC for a week I’m the rail yard.
Soon you'll have the top off and will be cruising up and down the road.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm a rower
I understand a downshift or two coming to a slow offramp down from 70mph.

But a stop sign at 35, normal braking takes about 4 seconds. If my driver is going 4-3-2-1 in those four seconds I'm getting out of the car lol

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some of you apparently have never ridden motorcycles, it's second nature

You always want to be in a gear(like an automatic) so you can be ready to go or make changes as needed. Coasting in neutral is unsafe and lazy driving

OP
OP
Havoc1

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Some of you apparently have never ridden motorcycles, it's second nature

You always want to be in a gear(like an automatic) so you can be ready to go or make changes as needed. Coasting in neutral is unsafe and lazy driving
This has a lot to do with it as well, a lot of my driving habits come from riding.

One thing I adapted to with the bronco is to downshift as I normally would but apply the brakes anyway since the engine braking sucks.
Sponsored