Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So it's been a few years since I've worked for ford and regularly worked on vehicles that had a manual, but since when do fly by wire vehicles not slow down when downshifting? Or is it just me?

As normal manual transmission to help save brake life downshifting is an amazing feature, since owning the bronco all down shifting does is keep the RPM's higher. Am I missing something here?

I retired early 2019, so not much could have changed... or did it?
Sponsored

PcDBronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 F250 Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Possibly the gearing is so tall it doesnt create as much drag on the drivetrain to be as noticeable compared to others? Also brake pads are cheap and easy to replace why would you want additional strain on the gears? I just pop it into neutral if im coming up to a red and coast and apply brakes when im there. This being my first manual vehicle and finally feeling like its natural to apply clutch and shift back and forth, brakes instead of downshifting seems easier for me.

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Lower compression ratio on TA engines.

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4DR, 2007 Saturn Sky
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Possibly the gearing is so tall it doesnt create as much drag on the drivetrain to be as noticeable compared to others? Also brake pads are cheap and easy to replace why would you want additional strain on the gears? I just pop it into neutral if im coming up to a red and coast and apply brakes when im there. This being my first manual vehicle and finally feeling like its natural to apply clutch and shift back and forth, brakes instead of downshifting seems easier for me.
I was taught you should not just pop it in neutral and coast all the way to the stop.
Down shifting ensures you stay in the proper rpm band if you need to quickly accelerate for some reason. Sure you can look at your speed and know which gear you'll need to be in but that takes time. In an emergency you may need that power immediately to avoid an accident.
The being slowed down by the engine and a little less wear on the brakes is a side benefit, not the ultimate goal.
At least that's what I was taught.

Sponsored

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4DR, 2007 Saturn Sky
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So it's been a few years since I've worked for ford and regularly worked on vehicles that had a manual, but since when do fly by wire vehicles not slow down when downshifting? Or is it just me?

As normal manual transmission to help save brake life downshifting is an amazing feature, since owning the bronco all down shifting does is keep the RPM's higher. Am I missing something here?

I retired early 2019, so not much could have changed... or did it?
It's not as drastic an effect as some of my motorcycles had, but mine still does help you slow down. Especially going down to 3rd and 2nd.

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can go through a set of pads pretty quick on a long slow mountain decent. You should be downshifting whether you driving an MT or AT in this situation.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You can go through a set of pads pretty quick on a long slow mountain decent. You should be downshifting whether you driving an MT or AT in this situation.
I can't stand following someone down a grade, and their brake light is on 95% of the time. I don't think a lot of people with A/T realize you can actually downshift them... 🤦🏻‍♂️

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
I assume you're referring to the 2.3l/7 speed. Small displacement turbo engines don't offer a ton of braking resistance.
Is this. It's a small 4 cylinder, they like to spin up easily. Engine braking doesn't exist, especially with a vehical that is so heavy.

I also don't think the clutch is heavy duty enough for engine braking, seems more fragile, so it's probably one reason they won't mate it with the v6

Last edited:

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sounds weird, but maybe the small displacement engine comment explains it. All the manual cars I've had were small engines although they were smaller vehicles as well.

Down shifting to save brake wear is somewhat of false economy as brakes are cheap compared to a clutch. On the other hand, I do tend to down-shift anyway.

I would say a bigger benefit to down shifting, specifically getting in a lower gear for long descents is less heating of the brakes. Not usually a problem, but when I went to pike's peak they had a brake temperature check part way down. The person checking was surprised at how cool my brakes were. I hardly had used them as I stayed in a low gear and hardly touched the brakes all the way down.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Engine braking of a V8 is different than an I4 made for high revs.

PcDBronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 F250 Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can't stand following someone down a grade, and their brake light is on 95% of the time. I don't think a lot of people with A/T realize you can actually downshift them... 🤦🏻‍♂️
Ah makes sense here, see i live in flat coastal so absolutely no hills here.

OP
OP
Havoc1

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I assume you're referring to the 2.3l/7 speed. Small displacement turbo engines don't offer a ton of braking resistance.
Sounds weird, but maybe the small displacement engine comment explains it. All the manual cars I've had were small engines although they were smaller vehicles as well.

Down shifting to save brake wear is somewhat of false economy as brakes are cheap compared to a clutch. On the other hand, I do tend to down-shift anyway.

I would say a bigger benefit to down shifting, specifically getting in a lower gear for long descents is less heating of the brakes. Not usually a problem, but when I went to pike's peak they had a brake temperature check part way down. The person checking was surprised at how cool my brakes were. I hardly had used them as I stayed in a low gear and hardly touched the brakes all the way down.
Engine braking of a V8 is different than an I4 made for high revs.
I guess that makes sense, my thoughts were "even in the focus'/ fiestas I'd drive for customers while on a road tests would slow down when downshifting, why isn't this?" However, they are lighter compared to this.

And I wasn't really talking about saving money for the brakes, believe me brakes are the best gravy a tech could ask for. I was referring more along the lines of controlling speed going down hills, and to not go back and forth as much between all three pedals to slow down, not necessarily stop.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I guess that makes sense, my thoughts were "even in the focus'/ fiestas I'd drive for customers while on a road tests would slow down when downshifting, why isn't this?" However, they are lighter compared to this.

And I wasn't really talking about saving money for the brakes, believe me brakes are the best gravy a tech could ask for. I was referring more along the lines of controlling speed going down hills, and to not go back and forth as much between all three pedals to slow down, not necessarily stop.
Less weight and small displacement is probably the biggest reason. The 4cyl in my Tacoma just revs higher when down shifting as well. Nothing like my big block V8 would do, that’s for sure.

OP
OP
Havoc1

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Y'alls posts didn't show in my thing when I was reading through everything sorry guys....

But this is what I'm talking about!
Sponsored