Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bet he was using a GoPro Fusion or the updated version of it. I have one too... The software and the native footage before rendering is enough to make your head explode. Heck, using the app to view real time footage and HOW it is capturing it makes my head explode as it captures everything in 360 degrees.
I had the GoPro Max and it's really good. But there's some bug and the camera view drifts. It's been reported to GoPro many times and they ignore it.

So I got an Insta360 instead.
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you look at the front bumper (or the rear view shows it better) you can see the camera mount.
I meant the bar from the mount holding it. That's not easy to see, and the mount just looks like something else on the bumper.

Anyhow, nice video.

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I meant the bar from the mount holding it. That's not easy to see, and the mount just looks like something else on the bumper.

Anyhow, nice video.
That's the trick, the 360 camera hides the bar. :cool:

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's a 360deg camera. That's how it was able to do x-axis pans without moving origin. That's why I was wondering if it was a drone, it was so locked down and there doesn't appear to be a mount, yet it stayed locked in the same origin and panned around.
Hi userdude,
Thank you for explaining that. My question then becomes how was the 360 camera held in place, I can see no obvious attachments to the truck? If you have any insights, I would like to hear them.

Scratch my question, as I see that swooshdave answered this question earlier.

Last edited:

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi userdude,
Thank you for explaining that. My question then becomes how was the 360 camera held in place, I can see no obvious attachments to the truck? If you have any insights, I would like to hear them.
I don't know for sure, but my guess is the stitching software knows where it is and digitally erases it with some video version of a stamping tool, basically guessing what that part of the video would look like by looking at the adjacent parts of the video and filling in something like it. It isn't perfect, if you watch the bumper where the mount is, you can sometimes see slight distortion or the pole shaking and the middle of the mount kinda bows out a bit. That's the pole.

What I'm wondering now is if the camera was straight above the pole, or at say a 45deg angle. It looks like it's out in front of the truck, however that maybe an axial shift and the 360 camera software is moving it programmatically. In that case, the pole is visible but just the little circle coming straight up (and the pole wobble shows the pole a little bit now and then).

Last edited:

Sponsored

Brokenparts

Badlands
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 FJ45, 73 c-10, 79 Blazer, '23 Exp, 2008 F350,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How is the software for the Insta360? I take it the camera performance is good?

My GoPro Fusion 360 has been really solid over the years... battery isnt what it used to be but still going strong.

Brokenparts

Badlands
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 FJ45, 73 c-10, 79 Blazer, '23 Exp, 2008 F350,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't know for sure, but my guess is the stitching software knows where it is and digitally erases it with some video version of a stamping tool, basically guessing what that part of the video would look like by looking at the adjacent parts of the video and filling in something like it. It isn't perfect, if you watch the bumper where the mount is, you can sometimes see slight distortion or the pole shaking and the middle of the mount kinda bows out a bit. That's the pole.
The stitching software is really what makes my head explode. There is so much information being processed and recorded that makes it so amazing. In post-production (at least in the GoPro software), my brain sometimes melts down when viewing 360 footage on a 2-dimensional monitor. Until you view it, it's tough to explain, but truly remarkable. I have 3970x 32/64 core processor and a Nvidia 4090 video card and even that kind of compute power takes the stitching step a bit to process/render, especially high frame rates/high resolution captures.

Kudos to swooshdave to make and edit that video... there is more to going into that video than people realize (especially considering using multiple cameras).

Last edited:

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The stitching software is really what makes my head explode. There is so much information being processed and recorded that makes it so amazing. In post-production (at least in the GoPro software), my brain sometimes melts down when viewing 360 footage on a 2-dimensional monitor. Until you view it, it's tough to explain, but truly remarkable.
It is crazy what software can do these days. Certainly way, way, way above my skillset.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

On Sunday I had a couple hours to go play and I had been scouting an area west of McMinnville, Oregon. Using onXoffroad I thought there would be some nice views from a couple spots. Weyerhaeuser thought differently. Still a day wondering the woods is still better than most things.
Great footage! Looks like an afternoon well spent.

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How is the software for the Insta360? I take it the camera performance is good?

My GoPro Fusion 360 has been really solid over the years... battery isnt what it used to be but still going strong.
I’m not overwhelmed. But it could be something I’m doing. The software is easy to use as long as you understand key framing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What I'm wondering now is if the camera was straight above the pole, or at say a 45deg angle. It looks like it's out in front of the truck, however that maybe an axial shift and the 360 camera software is moving it programmatically. In that case, the pole is visible but just the little circle coming straight up (and the pole wobble shows the pole a little bit now and then).
It’s not that complicated. Essentially it’s two fisheye lenses back to back. They are just over 270 degrees and the overlap hides the stick.

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The encampment is tolerable, it's wasn't in public land. But just tossing your garbage in the woods is exactly why the logging companies have to gate their lands.
Just cleaned up another one of those garbage dumps last Sunday in one of my favorite remote spots. Makes me so sad to see the lack of respect to our freedom of access to explore public lands. Leased lands are still our public owned "rented/leased" property. My Bronco looked like a trash bin coming out of the woods. If someone (you and I) does not not clean up the drug and homeless trash and debris, guarantee all our roads and trails will be closed off. Count on it.

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just cleaned up another one of those garbage dumps last Sunday in one of my favorite remote spots. Makes me so sad to see the lack of respect to our freedom of access to explore public lands. Leased lands are still our public owned "rented/leased" property. My Bronco looked like a trash bin coming out of the woods. If someone (you and I) does not not clean up the drug and homeless trash and debris, guarantee all our roads and trails will be closed off. Count on it.
I'll make sure I have some bags next time. I usually do but the rig has been at the dealer a bunch so I take stuff out.

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe in Oregon there is both privately owned forests and "rented/leased". I'm no expert but I want to learn.

I'm not sure where onXoffroad gets it property ownership information from but this land is marked Weyerhaeuser in the same way that my property has my name on it. Which makes me assume Weyerhaeuser is not the lessee, but the owner.

https://oregonforests.org/content/forest-ownership-interactive-map
Sponsored