First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 2019 Supercab Raptor has 6000# tow capacity. Guys have added airbags etc to increase that. It’s all about the suspension and wheelbase. . Go look on other forums for solutions they are out there for the people that need it. I love how my truck rides with the stock suspension and don’t want my new Bronco to be compromised just to increase the towing capacity.
Sponsored

GotGOAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It is not about the horsepower and torque, either engine option has more than enough to tow 5K.
The suspension is designed for off-road and is therefore soft enough to handle ruts, rocks, moguls, etc. and not for towing. (Take a look at the higher speed bump test.)
Yup, the 4Runner tows more and I can guarantee that stock vs stock, the a Bronco will out handle it off-road.
I think in the next couple of years, there may be a tow package for the 4 door that adds different springs or bags, and additional trans cooler and they’ll go for 5.5K so they can stick it to the 4Runner, too. But, it doesn’t seem to be in the mix for now.

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
It is not about the horsepower and torque, either engine option has more than enough to tow 5K.
The suspension is designed for off-road and is therefore soft enough to handle ruts, rocks, moguls, etc. and not for towing. (Take a look at the higher speed bump test.)
Yup, the 4Runner tows more and I can guarantee that stock vs stock, the a Bronco will out handle it off-road.
I think in the next couple of years, there may be a tow package for the 4 door that adds different springs or bags, and additional trans cooler and they’ll go for 5.5K so they can stick it to the 4Runner, too. But, it doesn’t seem to be in the mix for now.
Ford has the basic platform to top any other SUV in every category at a reasonable cost, but they have to check off that last box - tow capacity.

A base 4Runner vs a base Bronco the 4Runner has more stock ground clearance, but that's about it for offroad advantages. A good thing about the Bronco is it's easy to put 35's on it, 4Runner no.

The '07 and '08 4Runners I've owned (both 4.7l V8 fulltime 4WD) to get proper offroad articulation I had to remove the front/rear swaybars, swap in a stronger Toytec BOSS 2.5" suspension lift with HD coils front and rear, SPC upper control arms, extended rear brake lines. So that was about $2k for parts, probably can match a mid-grade Bronco on 33's offroad. $120 for Firestone airbags on the rear for towing. V8 4Runner has 7000lbs factory tow capacity, Ford should be able to match that easily.

It just seems obvious Ford should offer a REAL tow package rather than that ridiculous ClassII hitch. That's bush league.
Sponsored

Last edited: