Beeswax

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
First snow drive in the 2door BD 2.7 non-sas. This thing handles exceptionally well in the snow. Really good traction and stability. Never even took it out of 2Hi.
Sponsored

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Cool

I don't get why stay in 2H rather than go into 4H? Just to prove a point it isn't necessary?

Unless I am actually testing something to test, when there is enough snow to create slip I always go into 4H. I would kick myself forever if I were to get into control trouble in 2H and bang up my car rather than put in 4H.

I view 4H as more than just getting traction for hills, but with drive to the wheels used for steering there is less chance of them getting into an uncontrolled slip situation. In 4H the drive to the front wheels can help pull the front end around when the wheels want to naturally slip.

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Cool

I don't get why stay in 2H rather than go into 4H? Just to prove a point it isn't necessary?

Unless I am actually testing something to test, when there is enough snow to create slip I always go into 4H. I would kick myself forever if I were to get into control trouble in 2H and bang up my car rather than put in 4H.

I view 4H as more than just getting traction for hills, but with drive to the wheels used for steering there is less chance of them getting into an uncontrolled slip situation. In 4H the drive to the front wheels can help pull the front end around when the wheels want to naturally slip.
I am going to play devils advocate here. So, based on OPs location (and average age of this forum), they are likely very, very well versed in driving in snow.
If you've lived/grew up in New England you know how to drive in the snow, and know the limits.
I had an old Explorer and I never put it into 4H unless it was legit 6" of snow unplowed.
Thing was a beast, and I knew how it drove. If that makes sense.

Quitefrankly

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes I’m not too worried about the snow but the windshield wipers are pretty inept at times. How have you felt about them in heavy rain?

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

First snow drive in the 2door BD 2.7 non-sas. This thing handles exceptionally well in the snow. Really good traction and stability. Never even took it out of 2Hi.
I live in PA now and we haven't had any snow. So jealous. Although we're supposed to get a whopping 1" this week. :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Beeswax

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Cool

Not trying to prove any point. I just don't feel like I need 4H unless I'm having traction issues. With advanced traction and stability control there's really not much advantage to turning on 4H unless you are trying to get up a steep hill and are unable to find traction. Typically people get into trouble in snow when they don't realize how slick a surface is until they try to stop/slow down. With 2H you can feel when the tires start to break loose and use that to gauge effective stopping distance.

I also typically jam on the brakes on a flat section of road with no one around early in a snow drive. That way you get an understanding for your stopping distance so it doesn't surprise you later.

Anyway, to recap, I'm not against running in 4H when conditions call for it. But 2H is often sufficient for a little snow.

Schnabby

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JeepJL4dr,Raptor6.2,JeepJK2dr,M4Conv,65Must,74CJ5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had mine in the snow for the 3 atmospheric rivers in the Sierras. 4H and not a slip.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am going to play devils advocate here. So, based on OPs location (and average age of this forum), they are likely very, very well versed in driving in snow.
If you've lived/grew up in New England you know how to drive in the snow, and know the limits.
I had an old Explorer and I never put it into 4H unless it was legit 6" of snow unplowed.
Thing was a beast, and I knew how it drove. If that makes sense.
I respect people can do what they wish.

And despite my current location, yes I lived and grew up in the northeast and fit the profile you describe being very very versed driving in the snow. My entire interest in the Bronco is for snow driving and to me that is a sport of sorts. I still live part time in the northeast specifically because I love snow and especially driving in it.

I can drive in 2WD in the snow just fine, but prefer 4WD when I have it. And as you know an inch or two or snow can be far slicker than 5 inches. The front wheel pull one can get in 4WD can certainly be helpful, especially when the road is sloped in a way that wants to push the car places you don't want to go.

If for nothing else I run 4WD to let it stretch its legs since that part of the drivetrain otherwise doesn't see many miles on it. Make sure there isn't problems for when absolutely needed.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not trying to prove any point. I just don't feel like I need 4H unless I'm having traction issues. With advanced traction and stability control there's really not much advantage to turning on 4H unless you are trying to get up a steep hill and are unable to find traction. Typically people get into trouble in snow when they don't realize how slick a surface is until they try to stop/slow down. With 2H you can feel when the tires start to break loose and use that to gauge effective stopping distance.

I also typically jam on the brakes on a flat section of road with no one around early in a snow drive. That way you get an understanding for your stopping distance so it doesn't surprise you later.

Anyway, to recap, I'm not against running in 4H when conditions call for it. But 2H is often sufficient for a little snow.
were you in 4A or 2H?