Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One warning...the mic cable extension is proprietary to Midland. Regular cat 6 cables don't work (didn't for me anyway...if anybody knows how to make em work, leme know!)
I used THIS ONE on my MXT275 Install and it works great.
Ford Bronco GMRS Radio 1684360179381

The MXT275/MXT575 installs are really nice for the casual user. Make for very clean installs.

I was really conflicted on whether to get the 275 or the 575. The reality is, GMRS is for the most part "line of sight" and 15 watts on the 275 is plenty to hit the horizon. I can easily hit a repeater 70+ miles away. 50 watts on the 575 will not get you 3 times the range.

Elevator Man

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mercedes GLE, 2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One thing I learned about GMRS and wheeling at Bronco safari is its good to have a mobile install AND a handheld. If you wana get out and spot, you got your handheld. If you have somebody in your group who has no radio, or has a problem w/theirs, easy just to loan em the handheld. I have mxt575, and its a very powerful radio, and easy to use. Easy to mount hidden, and remove mic when not in use for an uncluttered dash. Yes to a certain degree you are paying for the name, but I feel I got what I was paying for, and would buy again. One warning...the mic cable extension is proprietary to Midland. Regular cat 6 cables don't work (didn't for me anyway...if anybody knows how to make em work, leme know!)
I used a regular cat 5 extension cable from Amazon on the mic without issue. Just plugged it in and it worked.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used THIS ONE on my MXT275 Install and it works great.
Ford Bronco GMRS Radio 20230424_175545

The MXT275/MXT575 installs are really nice for the casual user. Make for very clean installs.

I was really conflicted on whether to get the 275 or the 575. The reality is, GMRS is for the most part "line of sight" and 15 watts on the 275 is plenty to hit the horizon. I can easily hit a repeater 70+ miles away. 50 watts on the 575 will not get you 3 times the range.
I used a regular cat 5 extension cable from Amazon on the mic without issue. Just plugged it in and it worked.
HUH? I have that exact cable from Amazon and my radio wont even turn on if it's plugged in...same brand even!

Sponsored

Elevator Man

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

HUH? I have that exact cable from Amazon and my radio wont even turn on if it's plugged in...same brand even!
I used this cable and this connector:
Ford Bronco GMRS Radio 1684362559932

Ford Bronco GMRS Radio 1684362619721

Elevator Man

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Elevator Man

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can't go wrong with these. It's nice to be mobile and just clip it to your belt. Use them all the time on group trips! Amazon
Ford Bronco GMRS Radio 1684422333753
Agreed. I have the in truck unit and a handheld for spotting.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe try this if the regular cable doesn't work. It's from the Midland web site.
Ford Bronco GMRS Radio 1684422333753
that's the one I ended up buying...it works fine, but I wanted a cool bulkhead connector like all you other guys :(

Sponsored

jclark

Badlands
First Name
Jeanette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went the Midland 575 route, installed in the dash above the glovebox with a cat5 extension to a port installed by the aux port in the center console. Mic mount is the 67 Designs accessory arm and mic mount with the Magnetic Mic mount attachment. Used the Metals to Mountain dash radio mount plate (did have to trim the back of the glovebox slightly) and the ghost antenna using the Mountains to Metal antennae bracket by the passenger side mirror. It's clean, easy to use when needed - and when not, the mount arm and mic part of the setup can be tucked away and secured.

I also picked up a pair of handhelds when I ordered the radio, antennae and cable from Midland - so I'm covered if I need to talk with a guide, or loan one out to other vehicles that don't have a radio.

Elevator Man

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

that's the one I ended up buying...it works fine, but I wanted a cool bulkhead connector like all you other guys :(
Did you get a cat 5 or a cat 6 connector? Looks like I used a cat 6. I have not idea what the difference is between 5 and 6.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you get a cat 5 or a cat 6 connector? Looks like I used a cat 6. I have not idea what the difference is between 5 and 6.
Me niether. Heres the cable that didn't work. Has the bulkhead connector built in...seemed like what everybody else used

20230518_110928.jpg

Elevator Man

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Me niether. Heres the cable that didn't work. Has the bulkhead connector built in...seemed like what everybody else used

Ford Bronco GMRS Radio 20230518_110928
Give the ones that I sent earlier a try. It worked and will do what you want in two parts. The connector is also much smaller that this one. If they don't work, you can always return them.

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model