Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know the approximate lumen output of the stock headlights? Trying to get some comparison between headlights and other lights like a-pillar or fogs.
Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You're most likely not going to find what you are looking for. Aftermarket lighting companies advertise RAW lumens (and some also add real world lumens).

I can tell you on an 13th Gen F150 I've measured 950 lux with halogens, 1310 lux with OEM LED and 2720-4200 lux with Morimotos aftermarket housings.

So I'd say on our Broncos, the lux (real world readout) is probably in the 1000-1300 lux range.

Ford Bronco Headlight Lumens? 2015-2020 F150 Stock vs Morimoto

OP
OP
Bigmoose

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@4x4TruckLEDs.com Thanks for the reply. I'm really trying to understand how much extra light I'd get from a pair of Baja squadron SAE white fogs. Are they gonna put out more light than my headlights (understanding directed differently). Then go a step further to determine if I should just go sports instead of SAE as a fog or is it too bright. While the SAE are legal I would doubt I'd have any issues with a properly aimed sport regardless.

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@4x4TruckLEDs.com Thanks for the reply. I'm really trying to understand how much extra light I'd get from a pair of Baja squadron SAE white fogs. Are they gonna put out more light than my headlights (understanding directed differently). Then go a step further to determine if I should just go sports instead of SAE as a fog or is it too bright. While the SAE are legal I would doubt I'd have any issues with a properly aimed sport regardless.
The answer to this largely depends on placement and mission.

Are you looking to get the wide-throw functionality of OEM foglights on the lower bumper? Then the SAE Squadrons mounted low would make a lot of sense. If you're after the most light, then bumper or bull bar mounted Squadron Sport combo lenses, or are you looking at the ditch light style of A-pillar style mounts for off-direction-of-travel light throw?

Hence the BD lighting zone chart.

Ford Bronco Headlight Lumens? 1634761684836

OP
OP
Bigmoose

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The answer to this largely depends on placement and mission.

Are you looking to get the wide-throw functionality of OEM foglights on the lower bumper? Then the SAE Squadrons mounted low would make a lot of sense. If you're after the most light, then bumper or bull bar mounted Squadron Sport combo lenses, or are you looking at the ditch light style of A-pillar style mounts for off-direction-of-travel light throw?

Hence the BD lighting zone chart.

Ford Bronco Headlight Lumens? 1634761684836
Definitely wide throw of an OEM fog. I should have clarified I was considering the sports with a wide cornering lens in the mod bumper pocket.

Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well the Baja SAE Fogs are FOG LIGHTS. They are not headlights. So you will gain some coverage right in front of the truck but it's not designed to go down range.

To get additional lighting down range legally you don't have any real options, because you can't throw light down range really without a real headlight upgrade.

You could do the Diode Dynamics SS3 lights. They have a Sport/Pro/Max SAE Light. The Pro/Max will throw more light over the Baja SAE, even their sports throw a bit more light over the Baja SAE (because the Baja SAE is mainly used as a FOG light, unless you went with a Baja Designs Sport/Pro).

Diodes lights have a very fine pattern with minimal glare. I currently run Max Fogs on my truck and it does a great job filling in that gap. It still doesn't help me down range but it does help me up close and when I turn corners.

For down range when you are along (think high beams) you'd want a Driving/Combo from Baja to fill in that gap. That's what I run on my Raptor. When I want more lights, alone on the road, i throw my Driving/Combos on. It works well as a "high beam" style light.

I'd say for a Baja Setup do:
Squadron SAE (for street legal fogs)
Squadron Pro Driving/Combo (for high beams)

For 2 of the 3 lights. This way you stay street legal for fogs and then have other options for when you are alone.

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/vehicle-specific/ford-bronco/2021-bronco/

If you look at our kits, we go over the various options in detail on each of the product pages for the fog lights to help you decide which options work best.

As for a-pillars, those should never be used on public roads. Too high up, too much light goes all over. It won't work properly for what you are trying to achieve if you ask me. I NEVER run my pillars unless im on an off-road track

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This video is a year old, but still helpful in visualizing the utility and brightness of cube style LED pods.

I'd go for the Diode Dynamics SS3 SAE Sport for value and performance vs the BD SAE. The Squadron Sport is pretty comparable to the DD SS3 Sport, in my opinion.
Sponsored