Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah there is no way that buying/leasing a NEW vehicle will ever come out better than repairing an old one. Even if you had to put an entire new engine in for $10k, you would lose more in depreciation/fees/taxes/dmv reg on a new car.

Think about this. Let's say you sell the Jeep as is, and without spending a single extra dollar, we're able to go out and buy a decent USED car. Then in a year's time, If you were to resell that car, would you take more or less than a $5,000 hit?

If you only paid $5k for the used car in the first place, you're guaranteed to come out ahead because the car would always be worth more than $0.

Average depreciation is about 15% per year for a USED car. So some quick math, suggest that you could spend up to about 30k for a USED car before you would exceed $5k in depreciation.

Of course this is based off the assumption that you will get your Bronco within the next 12 months..
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Rip the trans and the engine out of it and put a Hemi conversion kit in…. 🤷‍♂️
$19,995 gets you a a complete drop-in
Complete Ford 7.3L V8 Crate Engine Powertrain Package Now Available (fordauthority.com)

But seriously, I would sell as is, if you can clear your loan. If you fix it the fix will show on CarFax (unless you do it yourself under a shade tree). Then look for a currently leased vehicle (there are several websites) with a remaining term that coincides with your wait time and budget. You can pick up anywhere from 3 years down to a couple months. Some are held by th emanufacturer's loan department as repos. And in that case you usually must take over the lease in tha same state it was inssued.

Also, some dealers I know will get you into another lease solely based on the miles you accumulate even if it is early. It either is more valuable than the present residual or they can move it into their loaner fleet

OP
OP
trenttrizzy

trenttrizzy

Big Bend
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
UPDATE—
Turns out the sales department of the dealership ✌🏽incorrectly predicted✌🏽 my transmission needed to be replaced or rebuilt (i told them i didn’t think anything was wrong with my transmission) but after i told them to stop inspecting and that i was going to have it towed elsewhere i promptly received a call from the service department informing me that i merely needed to have a $22.00 piece that connects the transmission to my gear stick replaced.

i wish i could say i was shocked that sales tried to lowball me for my vehicle knowing the fix was actually much less than the $2-5K they initially stated over the phone but this is yet another reason i’ll forever hate sales people and a reason i’ll avoid dealerships for auto work.

happy to have my jeep back in working condition 😁

OP
OP
trenttrizzy

trenttrizzy

Big Bend
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Get a second opinion on fixing the Jeep, if the repair isn't too much of a percentage of it's worth get it fixed and keep it.

Buying, leasing, turning in early, flipping, used car prices, when will the Bronco come, etc. are too many unknowns.

Cars need tires periodically, take that out of the equation and focus on the transmission.

Good luck!!
This is exactly what i did and after threatening to have it towed to the second place they magically discovered it wasn’t the transmission after all and i had it fixed within a day for 300.00. Insane.
Sponsored