Sponsored

I have my Bronco so need to sell my car; advice on where to privately sale it!

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ha I will agree with your first response (I was about to tell him same thing but more...) and disagree with your 2nd response.

There is never a time where the gas engine drives the wheels. You had it right with your first comment in that it is a generator only. The electric motor is the only source of power to wheels. The gas generator (as that is the best way to understand it) simply sustains the battery but can also be used to warm the battery during extreme cold temps (a huge advantage over straight EVs) and can be forced on (called Mtn mode) to build up additional battery range when going into steep grades. The generators goal is to always keep about an 20% buffer left on battery and putting more charge on the battery before you enter a steep grade helps with that. I only had to do that a couple of times driving on WV Turnpike at some of the steepest sections. I think that might be what you are referring too.

But battery drives electric motor which drives wheels. Doesn't matter if your going 1 or 100 mph.... so many misconceptions about the Volt that it wore me out defending the little car when it was new 11 years ago. If you think there is pushback with EVs now try owing one back then 🤔.. I actually bought it for the new tech, and like being a guinea pig for new ideas. Many on here will not admit to this but this is similar to us early adapters with Bronco.
Sorry, but you're incorrect.

"However of particular interest, when going above 70 mph in charge sustaining mode, and the generator gets coupled to the drivetrain, the gas engine participates in the motive force. GM says the engine never drives the wheels all by itself, but will participate in this particular situation in the name of efficiency, which is improved by 10 to 15 percent."
Sponsored

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Vroom...let them give you an offer..try all the others as well.

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry, but you're incorrect.

"However of particular interest, when going above 70 mph in charge sustaining mode, and the generator gets coupled to the drivetrain, the gas engine participates in the motive force. GM says the engine never drives the wheels all by itself, but will participate in this particular situation in the name of efficiency, which is improved by 10 to 15 percent."
Well half of your quote is correct as I already stated that the "engine never drives the wheels" which I was trying to correct you on earlier. But this part about engine coming on over 70 never occurred so please show me a reference to this.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, as you seem like a proponent to the Volt and EVs in general, but I have owned this car for 11 years and did the same thing we are all doing now with the Bronco but with the Volt (heavily involved in MBs, forums, etc.) as I awaited a year for mine to be built. I have driven it for 100,000 miles (the rest was from my wife) and as long as you have range left on the battery, you can hit its governed speed (100mph) at full battery power. Will it eat up range faster, sure just like any EV or ICE, but the generator doesn't come on until battery range is depleted to 0 (or if it gets below freezing as a heater). Seriously, this sounds like misnomer info that came out before the car was even available as there was a ton of confusion about this car, which I blame GM for poor marketing. The only exception is the one I tried to explain earlier with the steep grades which you manually engage to build up range. However, this has nothing to do with 70mph. TBH, this is one reason I don't mind letting it go as I spent 11 years defending the tech and grew very tired of it.

At least respect my comments as an actual owner and not some armchair general.... My actual Volt with number 2,227 ever built, if interested....

Ford Bronco I have my Bronco so need to sell my car; advice on where to privately sale it! 20220109_102406_resized

Ford Bronco I have my Bronco so need to sell my car; advice on where to privately sale it! 1641859709166

Ford Bronco I have my Bronco so need to sell my car; advice on where to privately sale it! 2011-09-17 15.38.06

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I only heard of Shift from a post in this thread. I'm waiting to hear back from give me the vin to see how much they'll offer, but so far Algo has the highest initial quote by a good chunk.
Nice, I am going to try shift and algo, funny how I have never heard of them. Hopefully they are good in NC

Panmort

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nice, I am going to try shift and algo, funny how I have never heard of them. Hopefully they are good in NC
Algo shot high on their initial quote after I gave them a call. My dealer ended up offering the most so far.

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well half of your quote is correct as I already stated that the "engine never drives the wheels" which I was trying to correct you on earlier. But this part about engine coming on over 70 never occurred so please show me a reference to this.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, as you seem like a proponent to the Volt and EVs in general, but I have owned this car for 11 years and did the same thing we are all doing now with the Bronco but with the Volt (heavily involved in MBs, forums, etc.) as I awaited a year for mine to be built. I have driven it for 100,000 miles (the rest was from my wife) and as long as you have range left on the battery, you can hit its governed speed (100mph) at full battery power. Will it eat up range faster, sure just like any EV or ICE, but the generator doesn't come on until battery range is depleted to 0 (or if it gets below freezing as a heater). Seriously, this sounds like misnomer info that came out before the car was even available as there was a ton of confusion about this car, which I blame GM for poor marketing. The only exception is the one I tried to explain earlier with the steep grades which you manually engage to build up range. However, this has nothing to do with 70mph. TBH, this is one reason I don't mind letting it go as I spent 11 years defending the tech and grew very tired of it.

At least respect my comments as an actual owner and not some armchair general.... My actual Volt with number 2,227 ever built, if interested....

Ford Bronco I have my Bronco so need to sell my car; advice on where to privately sale it! 2011-09-17 15.38.06

Yeah I'm not trying to be mean or anything. It's a useful piece of trivia. My roommate had one for years so I have a few thousand miles in one.

It is 99% a series hybrid like you've described. In that particular case I quoted above, the gas engine can provide power directly to the wheels.

There's another reference to it here.
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ertrain-how-it-works-in-electric-hybrid-modes
"But once the battery is down to its "depleted" level, the engine switches on--and it contributes torque to drive the wheels far more often now than it did in the first Volt, when it would clutch into the drivetrain only in a limited set of high-speed driving circumstances."

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah I'm not trying to be mean or anything. It's a useful piece of trivia. My roommate had one for years so I have a few thousand miles in one.

It is 99% a series hybrid like you've described. In that particular case I quoted above, the gas engine can provide power directly to the wheels.

There's another reference to it here.
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ertrain-how-it-works-in-electric-hybrid-modes
"But once the battery is down to its "depleted" level, the engine switches on--and it contributes torque to drive the wheels far more often now than it did in the first Volt, when it would clutch into the drivetrain only in a limited set of high-speed driving circumstances."
I think I see the problem, you are mixing up the two Volt generations. I have a first generation (actually only the 2,227th made, :ROFLMAO: ). I am not sure about the part "far more often than first generation" as I can tell you that it never does. The generator/engine has no connection to the wheels but maybe they changed that in the 2nd generation as I no nothing of the 2nd gen. Basically, my wife and I have driven this car daily for 11 years now and that includes going over 70mph as we live right off a freeway. I can promise you the engine never comes on. Battery all the way unless we drive it outside its range. And yes I have pushed it to its governed speed to confirm what it would do under those circumstances. No change, just faster with less range....

OkieB6G

Outer Banks
First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2010 Forte Koup
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I went through KBB.com and got an "instant cash offer" from some participating dealers in my area. They're currently in a bidding war over my 2020 Impreza hatch. It's nice to have the shoe on the other foot for once. 😂

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think I see the problem, you are mixing up the two Volt generations. I have a first generation (actually only the 2,227th made, :ROFLMAO: ). I am not sure about the part "far more often than first generation" as I can tell you that it never does. The generator/engine has no connection to the wheels but maybe they changed that in the 2nd generation as I no nothing of the 2nd gen. Basically, my wife and I have driven this car daily for 11 years now and that includes going over 70mph as we live right off a freeway. I can promise you the engine never comes on. Battery all the way unless we drive it outside its range. And yes I have pushed it to its governed speed to confirm what it would do under those circumstances. No change, just faster with less range....
Ok dude. I'm telling you a fact and you're just choosing not to believe it.

I'm not mixing up the generations of volt.

You can Google "first gen volt engine drive wheels" and find a hundred articles explaining how it works.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Voltec_powertrain
"Unlike the Prius, the Voltec only rarely drives the wheels with mechanical assist from the engine, and only when battery charge is depleted.[1][2][9] The Voltec could therefore be considered a power-split hybrid."

The fourth and controversial state commences when the vehicle reaches speeds of 70 mph while in extended range mode.

https://www.gm-volt.com/threads/chevrolet-volt-electric-drive-propulsion-system-unveiled.336470/
"As in EV mode the ring gear is decoupled from the case by the clutch and the smaller electric motor is once again allowed to operate in parallel with the large motor, increasing the system's efficiency. The difference here is that the smaller motor is still being turned by the engine and not electricity. Thus the engine becomes coupled with both electric motors and all three work together to turn the driveshaft. Thus the gas engine participates in turning the wheels mechanically although indirectly. The generator is decoupled from the ring gear again when speeds drop back below 70 mph."

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok dude. I'm telling you a fact and you're just choosing not to believe it.

I'm not mixing up the generations of volt.

You can Google "first gen volt engine drive wheels" and find a hundred articles explaining how it works.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Voltec_powertrain
"Unlike the Prius, the Voltec only rarely drives the wheels with mechanical assist from the engine, and only when battery charge is depleted.[1][2][9] The Voltec could therefore be considered a power-split hybrid."

The fourth and controversial state commences when the vehicle reaches speeds of 70 mph while in extended range mode.

https://www.gm-volt.com/threads/chevrolet-volt-electric-drive-propulsion-system-unveiled.336470/
"As in EV mode the ring gear is decoupled from the case by the clutch and the smaller electric motor is once again allowed to operate in parallel with the large motor, increasing the system's efficiency. The difference here is that the smaller motor is still being turned by the engine and not electricity. Thus the engine becomes coupled with both electric motors and all three work together to turn the driveshaft. Thus the gas engine participates in turning the wheels mechanically although indirectly. The generator is decoupled from the ring gear again when speeds drop back below 70 mph."
Ok dude, the problem is you have contradicted yourself a couple of times and said two different things. I am telling you as an actual owner that the engine does not come on unless battery is depleted or its cold. Maybe first year is programed differnt then the later ones as I know the 2011s had a little bit less range. I think the other areas we are disagreeing on is how we define the engine supplementing the power. Maybe have something there but I can promise you engine does not come on ever in 144K miles because we are going a certain speed. Why would I lie how my own vehicle works?? Let's leave it at that as I have more important things to do, like sell it!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went through KBB.com and got an "instant cash offer" from some participating dealers in my area. They're currently in a bidding war over my 2020 Impreza hatch. It's nice to have the shoe on the other foot for once. 😂
I need to try them next! Ok, so far I have used about every site mentioned here and so far have one clear winner and one clear loser. The loser is Shift.com as they refused to even quote me. Maybe to old or high mileage for there blood (they only gave generic reasons). However, the winner is clearly WeBuyAnyCar.com with AllGo a close second! Kind of surprised with those two as they were the least known (by me). But were excellent advice!

skiborsy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRX, Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Truecar and KBB instant offers have been pretty good for me. One thing to ask about when selling to a dealer if you have a loan is how long it takes them to pay you. Some wait for the bank to send the title to them, which can take awhile.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok dude, the problem is you have contradicted yourself a couple of times and said two different things. I am telling you as an actual owner that the engine does not come on unless battery is depleted or its cold. Maybe first year is programed differnt then the later ones as I know the 2011s had a little bit less range. I think the other areas we are disagreeing on is how we define the engine supplementing the power. Maybe have something there but I can promise you engine does not come on ever in 144K miles because we are going a certain speed. Why would I lie how my own vehicle works?? Let's leave it at that as I have more important things to do, like sell it!
If you ever want to know how your own car works, you can just read this.

Have a nice one.

Jjt24

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A couple of years ago I posted my older F150 on Facebook marketplace and had to take the listing down after about 3 hours due to so many inquiries. I took the first 5 people and let them know I would go in order, the 1st reply bought it for full asking price.

Kerney

Outer Banks
First Name
Kerney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Miata SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
this was one of the main issues with the Volt. Chevrolet was ahead of its time and people did not understand it's powertrain as it is not a hybrid like other vehicles. It is 100% EV and the gasoline engine is only a generator. This is the same powertrain design used in huge Tonka dump trucks for mining that have wheels bigger than a full grown man.

The only other cars that i know which used this design were the BMW I3 and the Cadillac ELR that was effectively a 2 door volt.

Now as far as selling...If you want an easy sell go with one of the online folks. I know with my father in laws Tacoma I got wildly varying offers but I could still sell it privately for way more money. His truck was selling for almost double the highest quote on BAT (bring a trailer) but it's a rare configuration with low miles and in showroom condition.

As stated you have a unique vehicle but how do you find that volt enthusiast that is willing to pay top dollar for a higher mileage car and are you wanting to go to that trouble.
Sponsored