First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Raptor, Lexus LC500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I am looking to get an extension for my receiver hitch to clear the big spare. They are offered in multiple lengths. Anyone bought one yet? Looks like I might be able to get by with 8” but 12” gives a little extra. But I worry anbout the extra length being a longer lever. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

fp11

Black Diamond
First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Curt Hitch Adapter worked great for me CURT 45797 Trailer Hitch Adapter, 2-Inch Receiver, 2-in Drop or Rise, 7,500 lbs https://a.co/d/1J0IbTl

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have one that I have used for my bike rack and obviously no issue. I’m also considering either a 2-1/4 drop hitch, or use my extender for my boat, because there isn’t enough room to engage the ball latch. The 2-1/2 drop doesn’t allow my trailer jack to pivot down (too low). I haven’t tried to use the extender for the boat, but may give it a go.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
E-trailer warns you may lose half your tongue weight capacity with one.

Sponsored

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

An extension is useful for a bike rack or cargo rack where you need a male to female connection. I do think the one piece ball extender would be preferred with a load.

Bronco_montana

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
HITOWMFG Trailer Hitch Receiver Tube Extenders for 2" Receiver, 7" Length, 3500 lbs. (Include pin&Clip) https://a.co/d/getbJB5

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Whether you use a hitch extender or a longer ball mount, you are severely impacting the capacity of your hitch because of the added force put on it because the load is farther from the hitch mounting location so be careful, no matter what you do.

Sponsored

retiredarmymp

Badlands
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Instead of an extension look onto replacing the trailer ball mount with a Bulldog hitch mount
Ford Bronco Hitch extension IMG_5339

colonelburke

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I used an extender out of necessity and it was all I could find. Did not like it as it never felt secure. If looking for a ball, I would just find one with some drop, at least that is what I am going to do. But for racks and stuff, that may be the only option.

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think anyone is advocating using a hitch extender for a trailer. Most people (like me) who need a hitch extender need it for bike rack or cargo baskets. So stop with all the, "You'll ruin your load capacity!"

OP I had a regular slide in hitch extender like this: https://a.co/d/aDYQ8U5
It was ok but wobbled even with a rattle reducer.

If I just wanted the extension I would get this today: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Draw-Tite/DT37GR.html

However what I actually upgraded to was this: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapters/Kuat/PVP20B.html

It's MUCH more expensive but the ability to swing out my bikes and cargo basket to open the tailgate without taking anything off is absolutely priceless.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't think anyone is advocating using a hitch extender for a trailer. Most people (like me) who need a hitch extender need it for bike rack or cargo baskets. So stop with all the, "You'll ruin your load capacity!"

OP I had a regular slide in hitch extender like this: https://a.co/d/aDYQ8U5
It was ok but wobbled even with a rattle reducer.

If I just wanted the extension I would get this today: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Draw-Tite/DT37GR.html

However what I actually upgraded to was this: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapters/Kuat/PVP20B.html

It's MUCH more expensive but the ability to swing out my bikes and cargo basket to open the tailgate without taking anything off is absolutely priceless.
The OP never mentions adding a bike or a basket, they did state "But I worry about the extra length being a longer lever", which led me to believe he was talking about towing, and it had nothing to do with a bike rack.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am looking to get an extension for my receiver hitch to clear the big spare. They are offered in multiple lengths. Anyone bought one yet? Looks like I might be able to get by with 8” but 12” gives a little extra. But I worry anbout the extra length being a longer lever. Any thoughts?
1. I've attached a glossary diagram of the hitch receiver parts so everyone gets their terms straight during a conversation like this.
2. My Kuat Pivot extends the receiver out by 12". This is perfect for clearing the spare tire for mounting my several racks. While you can't tow a trailer with a Pivot, its a good starting place for how long a long-shank ball mount ought to be to give room to use the trailer coupler. Its the spare tire that gets in the way on this vehicle.
3. An Extender is for mounting a bike rack, not for attaching a ball mount onto the extender. That creates too much leverage on too many attachment points. The ball mount should have a long enough shank to properly place the ball out away from the reveiver tube where it ought to be to receive the trailer coupler. As noted above, a starting place is 12" for a ball mount, as measured from the end of the receiver tube to the center of the ball.
4. Ball mounts come with Rise, Drop and straight configurations. I have all of those from various trucks and trailers over the years. Some have reported here that a 2" Drop ball mount works well as a starting place. I've found that with a new car & trailer, that time spent trying different ball mounts with a trailer is good, even if I have to get the trailer to a tow shop and try various configurations there with an advisor. The spare is going to get in the way of clamping the trailer coupler if its not set right. I've found over the years that I've learned when asking for advice at a qualified shop, even when I think I know the answer.
5. I personally don't see how a 12" extending ball mount is going to add too much leverage, as some have suggested, on a 3500# rated trailer. But, especially for new trailer-towers, if you get help from an experienced towing center, boat dealer or RV center, and buy your parts from them, they share responsibility for the parts they sell for your rig. Also, to properly mount the properly-sized ball to the shank of the ball-mount, requires a larger wrench than most people own. Your shop can do that.
6. Just some big-picture thoughts.

SmartSelect_20230917_170651_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored