Sponsored

How do Dirt Mountain Broncos get finished?

WT205

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I get the factory literally walks through the holding lots installing chip modules when that’s a constraint but how do they finish Broncos that may need a new rear axle or a component in the third member?

Do they run them back down a production line in batches or is there a shop where they would finish them one by one? Who does the work- production folks or some other group? When do they do that work and how is it prioritized?

If there are any production folks out there that can enlighten us- much appreciated.

Trying to figure out the timeline/ wait for those of
stuck in production purgatory.
Sponsored

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get the factory literally walks through the holding lots installing chip modules when that’s a constraint but how do they finish Broncos that may need a new rear axle or a component in the third member?

Do they run them back down a production line in batches or is there a shop where they would finish them one by one? Who does the work- production folks or some other group? When do they do that work and how is it prioritized?

If there are any production folks out there that can enlighten us- much appreciated.

Trying to figure out the timeline/ wait for those of
stuck in production purgatory.
Something like an axle swap or repair, they'd bring them back to the plant and put it on a lift and do the repair, one by one. The repairs are done by folks that are trained and designated to the repair area. I'm not sure about MAP, but I would imagine they have a dozen or more lifts in the plant where they could do the work. I can't speak to how they prioritize which get repaired when.

It's not possible to run them back down the assembly line as the axles are installed onto the frame while the cab is being built up on a different line. When the 2 are completed they will come together and the cab is then attached to the frame and everything that goes between the 2 are then connected (steering, brakes, electrical, etc).

OP
OP
WT205

WT205

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Something like an axle swap or repair, they'd bring them back to the plant and put it on a lift and do the repair, one by one. The repairs are done by folks that are trained and designated to the repair area. I'm not sure about MAP, but I would imagine they have a dozen or more lifts in the plant where they could do the work. I can't speak to how they prioritize which get repaired when.

It's not possible to run them back down the assembly line as the axles are installed onto the frame while the cab is being built up on a different line. When the 2 are completed they will come together and the cab is then attached to the frame and everything that goes between the 2 are then connected (steering, brakes, electrical, etc).
Great information. Thank you.

OP
OP
WT205

WT205

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

To add on to @KyTruckPlant's post...

Most Ford assembly plants have a Mod Line where they install addons/accessories not installed on the main assembly line. This is used to install add-ons such as roof racks, skid plates, etc. that the customer orders. (In the case of the Bronco, skid plates are installed on the main accessory line, but you get the idea.)

I haven't been to MAP since they switched over to Ranger/Bronco—last I was there they were building the Focus—so can't say for certain. But in the past, that area of the plant is the same area used for repairs and they share the same lifts and are stuck more or less in the same queue. I suspect that's why many people who ordered add-ons like the roof rack have their builds take longer.

Some accessories are also installed off-site. Paint protection film, spray-in bedliners, etc. are usually done by a third party off-site. BUT... it all depends on the vehicle and the assembly plant. I wouldn't be surprised if options like the spray-in bedliner are so popular these days that Ford has brought that in-house for F-series trucks.
Makes me wonder if a "major" part replacement like axles will be handled differently than what we saw with modules and chips- which appeared could be done, in some cases, with the hood up in a holding lot as opposed to on a lift or in a shop. Bigger question- how will that process work and how quickly can they move through the backlog of parked Broncos in Ypsilanti?

Presumably, they will need to be transported back to the factory- about 30 miles and what is the priority for Ford regarding partial builds? It's easy to understand people expecting an even longer wait for something like an axle to be replaced- certainly if there are close to 1k broncos waiting to be finished. Of course, Ford could clear all of this up with a single email or notice to dealers...

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Makes me wonder if a "major" part replacement like axles will be handled differently than what we saw with modules and chips- which appeared could be done, in some cases, with the hood up in a holding lot as opposed to on a lift or in a shop. Bigger question- how will that process work and how quickly can they move through the backlog of parked Broncos in Ypsilanti?

Presumably, they will need to be transported back to the factory- about 30 miles and what is the priority for Ford regarding partial builds? It's easy to understand people expecting an even longer wait for something like an axle to be replaced- certainly if there are close to 1k broncos waiting to be finished. Of course, Ford could clear all of this up with a single email or notice to dealers...
I believe they will be driven back to the plant. Your comment that the lot is 30 miles from the plant put a puzzle piece in the picture. I took delivery with 49 miles on the odometer. I also had a sticker on the window stating mine was selected for additional quality inspections, and that it was driven 17 miles as part of the inspection process. I guess that's where mine sat for so long.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WT205

WT205

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I believe they will be driven back to the plant. Your comment that the lot is 30 miles from the plant put a puzzle piece in the picture. I took delivery with 49 miles on the odometer. I also had a sticker on the window stating mine was selected for additional quality inspections, and that it was driven 17 miles as part of the inspection process. I guess that's where mine sat for so long.
Makes sense- just hoping that doesn't create additional apathy around getting those units completed. I don't care about the miles driven to be honest. In my younger days that would have bothered me but I'll put that mileage on it in a couple days anyway... I do, however, want my damn bronco finished and delivered so do what you need to do Ford and get that thing driven back to MAP...

Any idea about the capacity of the repair shop? Guesses welcomed as well :)

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Makes sense- just hoping that doesn't create additional apathy around getting those units completed. I don't care about the miles driven to be honest. In my younger days that would have bothered me but I'll put that mileage on it in a couple days anyway... I do, however, want my damn bronco finished and delivered so do what you need to do Ford and get that thing driven back to MAP...

Any idea about the capacity of the repair shop? Guesses welcomed as well :)
Heck, I dont have any idea how many we have at KTP, no way I'm going to guess what they have up there!

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
To add on to @KyTruckPlant's post...
I wouldn't be surprised if options like the spray-in bedliner are so popular these days that Ford has brought that in-house for F-series trucks.
Spray in bedliner is done in-line. They have a big overhead gantry mounted thermal cure device that drops down into the bed to quick cure it.

Bwillford

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I called Ford since I have been stuck in production for a month and they said I was waiting on rear axle. I was curious how that worked too.
Sponsored